It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Cataract Implants

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
    AlbumE27
    (male)

AlbumE27 HB User
    Cataract Implants

My father had Cataract surgery on both eyes towards the end of last summer. He had some new type of implant put in that was suppose to make it so he would probably never need glasses again. He has been back to the optomolgist several times and my fathers eyes wont adjust very well. The doctor said that his brain is not adjusting to the lens. So in about a week he is going to go see him again and see if they can remove the lenses. Now my question do you think they can be removed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
    Torre
    Inactive

Torre HB User
    Re: Cataract Implants

I hope Serious Person answers you because she's an expert on this subject. She has two different kinds of multi-focal IOLs that aren't all they're cracked up to be.
    Doctors don't like to remove the IOLs once they've been implanted. It can cause problems. There's a sac, or membrane that holds the lens and it can be damaged or weakened by taking out the artificial lenses. If this happens, it's difficult to get another lens to fit properly and stay put.

Torre

Old 12-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
    Anxiety Man
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Anxiety Man HB User

I had wondered that myself, Torre! My Acrysof is doing fine, just needs some folds smoothed out by laser and I should be good to go. I wish more folks could get the Acrysof. They're the best, according to my Dr. and I sure can't argue.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
    MissHelen
    (female)

MissHelen HB User

Would love to know if it is possible to take out those lens. I had one implanted in 1998 and wish I had never done it. I won't let them do the other cataract. I complained about halos around street lights etc, which wasn't good. So the eye doctor tells me he can fix it, using a laser to puncture the the back of something. There starts the fun. Now I have sheets of light from every mirror in the car, which means I can't drive at night anymore. The lens is cloudy and if I watch tv in the dark it's real obvious. I can't see clearly if it's too sunny, too dark. The second eye really needs to be done, but I'm afaid. I'd rather go back to the thick ugly glasses they used to give folks years ago.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Torre, thanks for the introduction.
    Yes, the resident intraocular lens expert and guinea pig is in the house.

AlbumE27, before answers, here are some questions: What is the name of the lenses your father had implanted? I had mine last summer too, so I'm guessing they might have been called "crystalens," or possibly Restor. (I have one of each.) Possibly he had a ReZoom, or maybe that's what the doctor wants to use for an exchange?

What is the name of the proposed exchange lens? Is it a single focus Acrysof like Anxiety Man has? Or is it a Rezoom or a Tecnis? Or...?

I too have been unhappy with the results, but it's a little better now. In my research I read that the brain can learn to tune out the halos if the patient makes an effort not to focus on them. At first I just wanted to stare at them so I could describe them to people. A couple of weeks ago I finally went into PhotoShop and created pictures of what it looks like. That seems to have gotten it out of my system. I'm not noticing the halos as much -- I just can't see very much in the dark.

Also, in my research, I read about lens exchange. At this point in the world of ophthalmology, the only time to exchange is in the first few months. And it has to be done before a YAG, which is the name of the procedure done to pierce the sac in which the intraocular lens is resting. Something about the edges of most lens designs causes a secondary cataract (opacity) to form on the lens capsule itself. Miss Helen, from your description of cloudiness, that could be your problem, and it sounds like that's what your doctor wants to do about it.

HOWEVER, once the sac is pierced, a lens exchange is not done, except in a real emergency. I suspect there will be some changes in the next decade, but that's the state of things now. My doctor is very anti-exchange. I think it's because in most cases the results would not justify the considerable risks.

Which brings us to my closing point, ladies & gentlemen.
    The lesson is:
    Be sure to ask the doctor about the expected quality of the outcome, and specifically will the procedure make my current visual problem go away?
    Then, don't do a procedure if the end results are not going to be functionally better. And that means functionally better for you and your lifestyle.
    For example. I was promised that my eyes would be much better than they were. Ah. Semantics. It is true that my vision without glasses is remarkably improved. I went from 20/600 to about 20/50 or better -- in bright sunlight, that is.
    HOWEVER, I had not gone without glasses for 40 years, and I functioned with 20/20 with glasses until cataracts intervened.
    Now, I do not see as well with glasses as I did before. It's very depressing at times when I cannot do things I could before.

Which brings me to the 2nd half of my point (see above):
    After you gather your information, be sure that your current vision is worse than the worst likely outcome of the procedure.
    Cataract surgery has become big business with ophthalmologists as salesmen. It's part of the whole HMO issue...but that's another soapbox.

And be sure that you and your doctor are both comparing your before and possible-after corrected vision, that is, with glasses or contacs, not your vision now and later without corrective lenses.

Also, MissHelen, a friend at work had both eyes done and then had the YAG for the cloudiness. It took the cloudiness away, but did nothing to diminish the halos.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
    MissHelen
    (female)

MissHelen HB User

I think the term salesman is probably the correct term. I have to go to an opthamologist once the spring comes. I've asked about taking it out and two docs have said not a good idea. I've just given up driving at night. Not exactly the party type anymore, so it's just a minor problem

Old 12-17-2005, 02:46 AM   #7
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MissHelen,
    They are right, you would not want it out. Although the person to tell you what that's like is HellasRules.

Sounds like you and I have the same feelings about the whole procedure.

The newer lenses and procedures will be better than your last one, though I don't recommend it if you can see 20/50 corrected vision or better.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
    MissHelen
    (female)

MissHelen HB User

I don't understand what a YAG is. Also if 20/40 is better than 20/50, I still had that 2 years ago when I had my eyes checked for Motor Vehicle.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:39 AM   #9
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, 20/40 is better than 20/50, but 2 years ago is too long ago.
    If you are currently seeing 20/50 or better, I would not recommend having cataract surgery. But I am not a medical professional, just a recent cataract surgery patient.

YAG is a procedure done, generally 3 or more months after cataract surgery, when the membrane behind the lens implant has become cloudy--a sort of secondary cataract. The YAG is the poking of a hole through the cloudy membrane with a laser. Your doctor could tell you more.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissHelen
    So the eye doctor tells me he can fix it, using a laser to puncture the the back of something. There starts the fun. Now I have sheets of light from every mirror in the car, which means I can't drive at night anymore...
    Does this mean you had the procedure done and then all the symptoms occured? Or did you not have the "...laser to puncture the the back of something..." [YAG]?

Last edited by seriousperson; 12-27-2005 at 02:47 AM.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
    more
    (female)

more HB User

As far as having a lens taken out and replaced - I would not recommend it unless it was a dire emergency.

I had cataract surgery in 1992 and in 2002 (10 years later) the lens moved out of position. The Opthalmologist could not explain how it could happen - indicating usually this will happen within the first 3 months only. I was seeing double of everything through the eye and the only way to correct this was to replace the lens. I had the lens replaced and developed a major stigmatism which for the longest time my sight was just about gone - something 1500. It took a good amount of time before it came back. The eye doctor explained it was because in order to get the lens out they had to cut a larger hole than they do for putting the lens in (because it unfolds once in the eye) and he had to use stitches to close it up. He explained before the surgery I would have 3-4 stitches -- however, during the surgery I heard him make a comment that the eye would not stop draining and he needed to put in more stitches I asked at the end and he said he lost count at 9 stitches. This he said is what caused the stigmatism. The stiches were supposed to stay in the eye permanently (they were not dissolvable). However, he ended up cutting some of them and removing them in order to get my sight back. I just recently had the last stitch pop and have to be removed.

I have now been diagnosed with Glaucoma and the only thing they can figure that caused this was from the surgeries.

So my word of advise - unless absolutely necessary do not have IOL's replaced,

Also, as far as night driving - I also have the halo effect and glaring but what has helped me is to not look directly into the lights - i.e. when driving instead of looking at oncoming traffic looked down (not in direct level with the headlights). This does help with my night driving.

Sorry this is so long but I definitely wanted to get my experience out there for people to consider.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #11
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

more,
    what a nightmare. I'm glad to hear your vision has "come back" to some degree.
    I have astigmatism after cataract surgery, and have only had each eye done once.
    I just read a brief article titled:
    INTRAOCULAR LENS EXCHANGE: Postexchange anterior chamber IOL performance superior to that of posterior chamber IOLs
    In the article there is a discussion of new techniques that should improve lens exchange outcomes.
    If we live long enough, perhaps getting an exchange will be no worse than getting a new pair of glasses or contacs. The article doesn't actually say that; I'm just speculating.

Closed Thread