It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• |STY| - Proper ways to alleviate & Is this it draining?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
    i3lueHorneT
    (male)

i3lueHorneT HB User
    Question |STY| - Proper ways to alleviate & Is this it draining?

Preventing the spread of infection/Preventing it from recurring/Aiding it its healing, etc.

Notice some soreness in my right eye around last Thursday, 2-2, figured it to be a sty forming, and what do you know but Friday morning I awoke to a newly formed sty (not at all in full mind you, just enough to note that it wasn't anything else). Anyway have been putting a warm compress, wash cloth wetted and microwaved, upon it for about 4x a day, heated 3x a session as it dissipates rather quick, for about 15-20 minutes. Also have been rolling a q-tip dipped in baby shampoo and run under the tap across the base of the lashes (read about on several different sites), followed by solely wetted q-tips to run off the shampoo, morning and night. Well Tuesday, 2-7, while rolling the q-tip across to apply the shampoo after a shower in the morning I pulled the lashes down a bit and was able to see the back of the bottom lid (the one with the sty) and noticed some 'goey substance' I took to be some of the sty draining off. My curiousity lies with this substance. Noticed some of it was at the top of the lid against the eye itself, so I took one of the q-tips to it to lightly drag it off, which went without issue. Some more of the same substance made its way to the top of the bottom lid which I handled in the same manner.

Today, Wed 2-8, the sty is a lightly purple, dark red-ish blemish more or less, with some texture and light 'bump' to it. Is this all normal, the substance I rolled off with the q-tips, this is just it draining is it not? Anything else I should be aware of (other then to not force any out, apply pressure, squeeze, or poke it at all etc.) or do? What will help in its appearence, looks rather unprofessional and now that it seems its run its course for the most part am wanting to make sure I do everything in my power to not leave any distinguishing marks.

Also, I can't really account for its formation, I change all my bedding every 7-10 days (should I change pillow cases more often?), do have a cat but keep him from my face, out of my room and bath. I did walk through a leaf blower/walkway cleaning crew, off the side of a street a few days before, did my best to avoid but the dust was already pretty thick. Any ideas to possibly causes?
    /Any applicable help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

peace,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
    Re: |STY| - Proper ways to alleviate & Is this it draining?

Goodness! Almost a day later, and noone has responded.
    Very well described.
    I can offer some motherly, rule-of-thumb advice for infections in general.
    Since we're talking about an eye, if it's getting worse or staying the same, go to your doctor.
    If it is at all smaller, continue what you're doing.

Don't guilt-trip yourself over possible uncleanliness being the cause. It's a germ.
    Either you had some contact (including air-borne), and/or your resistance is low (e.g, lack of sleep, poor diet, stress).

For "compresses," I used cotton balls dipped in Eyebrite tea when my kids were young--often on my own eye when I felt like I was catching something from one of them. It worked well for me.

More recently I did the hot, wet, wash cloth routine with much success for a bump on the part of the eyelid not-so-near the eye.

You get A++ for not squeezing.

Cats can carry some people germs. Then, if you pet him, followed by wiping some leaf-blower gunk out of your eye....

Washing your pillow case daily at this time is a good idea, though normally what you're doing should be fine.

Last edited by seriousperson; 02-09-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
    i3lueHorneT
    (male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

[Wrote this up last night, previewed it, left computer and upon return forgot to post it before shutting down]

Thanks for the reply.

I've been keeping up with the warm cloth and baby shampoo'd cotton swabs, the visible part is now just a light red bump, not too noticeable, there's an inner lump however that I came to see whilst applying the baby shampoo. It has rippened (thin skinned and white) and I imagine should I roll a q-tip across it the skin would easily break/peal back and it would drain, I'm not wanting to do this as I don't think it wise but I am wondering what will happen with it, thinking it will just break during the night or so. Anything else I should do/be aware of at this point, I'm concerned that it will rupture and drain to spread itself showing up with more sties shortly thereafter?
    /Thanks.

peace,

Old 02-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

"Ripened" sounds worse (not better) when it's an eyelid.
    And because it's an eye, better see a doctor first thing Monday morning.
    Even if it's just a clinic.
    You don't want to mess around with an eye problem.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
    i3lueHorneT
    (male)

i3lueHorneT HB User

Oh no, by 'ripe' I meant it looks like its run its course and is ready to drain, and that's just what it did, the next day I woke up to a blocked eye, easily washed out. Seems to be fine, no marks have been left on the lid.

Thanks for all the input, just wanted to make sure I was handling it properly.
    /Thanks again.

peace,

Closed Thread