It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Corneal Erosion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #46
    Jonny412
    Inactive
    (male)

Jonny412 HB User
    Re: Recurrent Corneal Erosion

Mike,

I have asked you the same two questions twice and you have yet to answer them? Why? I will look into the antibiotic. If they are of a certain family I cannot taken them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #47
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Please re-read my last reply...I was in the process of editing it. What questions are you referring to? Along with the antibiotic - I'm not sure why you would not be able to take something in the "cycline" family (doxy, tetra, mono). But, I still suggest maybe trying to go off the muro drops and use warm ointment instead along with applying artificial tears in the morning before moving your eyelids.

Mike

Old 02-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #48
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

What are the reasons you might not be able to take it? I remember reading an article about people whose stomachs sensitive to it and they are able to adjust the dosage down to like 50 mg twice daily and they do well on it. I know they say to take it with lots of water (could be to help with absorbtion and/or stomach sensitivity). I know when I was on it I never had a problem even when I took it on an empty stomach. A pharmacist would probably know more.

Hope that helps,
    Mike

Old 02-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #49
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Jonny - if you are sure Dry eye is causing the filaments...here's some suggestions:

1. Consider checking out Dry Eye Syndrome threads - I've seen some right here on the healthboards.

2. Muro Ointment should last several hours (drops only last a few minutes). You can use it during the day. My doc says as much as I want.

3. I know some (including me) take Flaxseed oil. It takes about a month to get in your system. I take it as part of a "heart healthy" diet for the Omega 3 supplements but I have heard many take it for dry eye and RCES. But you may want to do an internet search on it for more info. You can get it just about anywhere.

4. I've heard of Restasis and it is relatively new for dry eye. Not sure of the results. If I were you I would do an internet search on that too - it may help. But, I remember hearing somewhere that it was kind of expensive (that may have changed - don't know). Perhaps the Flaxseed oil may give good results also.

5. Keep well hydrated - perhaps humidifiers may help also. Try different things to find what works for you.

Mike

Old 02-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #50
    Jonny412
    Inactive
    (male)

Jonny412 HB User

Mike,

These are the questions. Please answer, thanks.

1. Have you or anyone else on this thread that you know of had filaments on the eye?

2. Have you or anyone else on this thread that you know of found temporary complete resolution with a bandage contact?

I checked and I can take that anitbiotic.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #51
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonny412
    Mike,

These are the questions. Please answer, thanks.

1. Have you or anyone else on this thread that you know of had filaments on the eye?

2. Have you or anyone else on this thread that you know of found temporary complete resolution with a bandage contact?

I checked and I can take that anitbiotic.
    1. As far as I know - I don't have filaments. You may want to search the entire healthboard forum for something like filaments and eye and see what comes up. I have read that doxycycline may help and it's great that you can take it. Any of the "cyclines" are good but I think doxy seems to be the one of choice.

2. I don't know of anyone who has. I used to be pro on the lens now I'm against it for two reasons. First, to trap the cornea under a bandage lens clearly makes infection more likely. Short term - after an injury for pain it's "okay" but infection is more likely. I question whether a patch might be a better way to go. Would make a great research paper for someone. Second, it could have long term complications. Consider the fact that you are starving a "compromised" cornea of oxygen.

People should know that the eye is deprived of oxygen when wearing a bandage or any other contact lens. If the lens is not taken out regularly, the eye will make new pathways (arteries) below the cornea to supply it with oxygen. This could affect vision and also "could" be a problem if you have filaments...I don't know but it would make me have second thoughts about a bandage lens when there are other options available.

I too wanted to wear a soft lens. But, this was recent and for different reasons. I wanted to get rid of the glasses. It wound up not correcting the way I wanted and the doc said I would have to take them out every night and it just wasn't worth it.

I know that when you explore option after option - it's almost like you find out all these things that don't work. But, once you find just a few things that work for you - that's all it takes. Glad to hear you can explore doxy as a possibility.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 02-17-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #52
    Jonny412
    Inactive
    (male)

Jonny412 HB User

Yea I do not want to put in a lense either, I mean obviously it is no long term solution. I`d rather work through it and take a strong pain med if it gets completely out of control, that is until I can see the doc. I mean I have never had anything like this, am at the doc`s office at least once a week for the last 4 months. can you imagine the spot Id have been in with no insurance? Thank you God! I will look more into that med and consider another run with oinment though its a pain and it didnt seem to change things. Doc gave me some samples of Refresh "Liquigel." Great stuff, soothing.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #53
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Jonny - I too like the Refresh drops. But, nowadays (at least for me) I find they are great when awakening in the morning. I just put them in the corner of my eyes and let gravity move the drops across and down through my eyes before I start blinking.

My eyes are so much better now then they used to be but once in a great while I'll apply Muro ointment during the day if my eyes feel dry. I still always use a little Muro ointment at night. I always apply it warm.

Consider doing an internet search to get more information on doxycycline and "ocular surface repair" to get more information on why and how it all works (and the current research shows it's only the cycline family of antibiotics that provide this effect).

Keep us posted.
    Best to you.
    Mike

Old 02-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #54
    Jonny412
    Inactive
    (male)

Jonny412 HB User

Will do, will research it, and probably get some. By the way it is 12:30 a.m. and my eye just went way down hill, got to keep it closed. Wasnt really any buildup to it. And I have done all my routines today. Appears to be no ryme or reason to this.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #55
    JaneNY
    (female)

JaneNY HB User

Well. After 6 months of essentially no erosions, I had one last night (middle of the night) - not terrible - pain subsided after 15 minutes. I think I was slightly startled out of sleep by one of my cats, who'd been sleeping in the room. I guess I won't allow that anymore. Probably a 4 on a scale of 1-10 for pain. Upon realization that an erosion was occuring, iI mmediately got hold of my drops with my eyes closed, used them - had to use them several times before they really went in the eye, and that was due to the shape of the tip.

Some observations - The bottle of refresh that I was using was an 'economy' size, and I have noticed the tip is kind of flat, instead of the more rounded one on the smaller bottles, so it was harder to get it right in the corner of my eye - just an FYI. Also, I live in the area that had the wind storm that blew in extreme cold yesterday (upstate NY), and had to pump gas. While I did stand with my eyes closed during the pumping, I was in and out of the car and house during the day in the wind. Additionally, I discontinued doxycyline about 4 weeks ago, after running out of it, but having taken it continuously for almost 5 months, thoughtt that that would have been enough. I do use warmed Muro every night before bed, and this, together with the doxycycline has seemed to work well.

My plan of action at this point is returning to full management mode, of daytime frequent drops, and even Muro a couple times during the day. I may begin to rise at 3am for a while again until I see whether this is a one time thing or not. I will have to wait until Tuesday to call to get a new prescription of doxycycline because of the holiday Monday, but I will call and get right back on that. My dermatologist lets me take it indefinitely for acne anyway, so its no problem getting more. I can live with taking it forever if it keeps erosions at bay, if this is in fact why I got an erosion - perhaps all the factors together contributed.....

Old 02-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #56
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

JaneNY - sorry to hear about the erosion you got. A few things that may help...you did the right thing in trying to relax the eye, not blink and put drops in (otherwise it could have been more major). I know for me, I have one of those good size Refresh bottles (not the little viles) where I can drench my eyes if I want. Also - after 15-30 minutes of relaxing, if the eye feels "picky" consider adding warm muro 128. One time I was startled out of sleep and I immediately put the palm over my forehead gently pressing down so as to keep my right eye closed (it was like a reflex). Other than that - (I'm not sure when your last erosion was) EDITED--I see from your post that it was six months ago...as you know it takes at least a year erosion free, but keep at it...it seems like things are getting much better for you and you are way more in control of it that when it started. - Being that this was not "major" it probably didn't set you back that much. Glad to hear your "spirits" are still up.

Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 02-18-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #57
    Jonny412
    Inactive
    (male)

Jonny412 HB User

Has anyone tried any natural supplements like Theralife Eye or Biotears? If dry eye is at the heart of the condition this may help...

Closed Thread