It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• optic neuritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
    lynnt8437

lynnt8437 HB User
    optic neuritis

Over the course of 3 days in Oct. 2004 I started having problems with my left eye which I could only describe as feeling as though my pupil were dialated. To make things worse I have amblyopia in my right eye so essentially I was blind. I went to what I thought was one of the best eye clinics in the Midwest. During my first exam (Monday) they found nothing and I was told to come back Friday if it didn't go away. On Tuesday I went to the ER where I had an eye exam was given a cat-scan which was negative for anything and was told it may be an ocular migraine given a shot and told to go to a GP if it didn't go away. On Thursday I went to the GP and was told it was probably allergies given a prescription and of course was told to come back if it didn't go away. On Friday I went back to the opthamalogist to yet a different doctor and was told it was chronic dry eye. I was given a prescription for steroid eyedrops and was told to come back in a month if it didn't get any better. A month later I went back got punctal plugs put in at the staggering cost of 850.00 and given a prescription for Restasis and you guessed it ... told to come back in a month if it didn't get better. Did I mention that I could no longer drive thus couldn't work and no longer had health insurance ? So a month later I went back got more punctal plugs and yes told to come back in a month. I don't know what took so long but I finally started checking online and figured I probably had optic neuritis. My next visit to the opthamalogist I mentioned this and was told I had to see the neuro-opthamalogist (of course another visit) who confirmed that I did have it (May 2005). He sent me for an MRI which came back negative and I was told if it didn't get any better in 6 months to come back (which I didn't). So now a year and half later I'm no better off than I was then except for the fact that I spent my life savings treating chronic dry eye which never bothered me in the first place. Sorry for the long story but it feels so good to vent !!!

I guess my question is.... is there anyone out there who has had optic neuritis this long and had it go away ??? Right now I feel helpless and hopeless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User
    Re: optic neuritis

Optic neuritis refers to swelling or inflammation of the optic nerve. It is often associated with diseases causing demyelination (a loss of the protective myelin layer of the the nerve) of the optic nerve, but sometimes the cause is unknown. Multiple sclerosis (MS) is the disease most often associated with optic neuritis. It is not uncommon to have an episode of optic neuritis prior to being diagnosed with MS. In fact, optic neuritis is often the initial sign of MS.

Most patients with optic neuritis experience a sudden onset of decreased vision along with pain and soreness when moving the eye. Optic neuritis usually affects only one eye and may be a recurring problem with certain diseases such as MS.

I am amazed that none of your many Drs have not evaluated to possibility of MS. This finding is very significant since approximately 50% of those who experience an initial occurrence of optic neuritis will develop MS.

Good luck with pinning down a Dx.

Eyes

Old 04-19-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
    lynnt8437

lynnt8437 HB User

Yes.....MS is my biggest concern although I have no other symptoms as of yet and no lesions or scarring were found on the MRI. The neuro-opthamalogist told me the probable cause was a cold that I had when it initially started but of course these are the same doctors that treated me 7 months for the wrong thing.

Is it possible to have optic neuritis this long (18 months) and have it go away? I've read that most cases only last 4-6 weeks which makes me wonder if the dx is even correct. Is there somewhere I can go to get a referrel to a different neuro-opthamalogist ? I hate to start over with another doctor but trust is important.

Thanx for the help....

Old 04-20-2006, 04:46 AM   #4
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

Lynn, shouldn't you be taking steroids at the very least?

K.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
    lynnt8437

lynnt8437 HB User

The only steroids ever prescribed to me were eye drops and they were for the chronic dry eye. The last time I was at the opthamalogist was when they finally dx'd optic neuritis. He sent me for an MRI and called me the next day to say everything was normal probably caused by a cold see ya in 6 months. Most of the cases I've read about online were indeed given steroids but I have yet to read about anyone whose doctors failed to make the correct dx for 7 months... maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

You said the "opthamalogist.. finally dx'd optic neuritis. He sent me for an MRI and called me the next day to say everything was normal probably caused by a cold see ya in 6 months. Most of the cases I've read about online were indeed given steroids but I have yet to read about anyone whose doctors failed to make the correct dx for 7 months... maybe that has something to do with it."

Yes, it sure does have something to do with it. It seems that we as "people" just want a "simple" answer about a supposed dx. But,no. we seem to get the "put off" or the "run around" as to what the answer really is.

What is it about opthamalogists that seem to be without answer ?

I'm sorry that this post does not answer any more questions about optic neuritis,however,it just needed to be said that Drs in general need to be honest about a dx;or say so "up front",if they don't know !

Eyes

Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
    lynnt8437

lynnt8437 HB User

After everything I've read about optic neuritis my symptoms should have pointed them right to it. The worst part is I'll never be able to trust another dr.s dx again without getting a 2nd opinion.

Since optic neuritis is so common with MS I think I'm going to go that board and see if anyone can help me in finding a good neuro-opthamalogist. Thanks for the help.

Closed Thread