It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Anyone had vitreous hemmorhage, then macular hole , then strabismus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
    bleuskies
    (female)

bleuskies HB User
    Anyone had vitreous hemmorhage, then macular hole , then strabismus?

hi! would like to know if someone might be in a similar case like me in some way and wouldn't mind sharing your experience?

I'm currently 29 years old;

1) 5 years ago, I had a vitreous hemorrhage in my left eye due to some trauma , and had a victrectomy. During surgery it was found i had partial retina detachment as well. Vision was restored, but subsequently a scar tissue formed in the retina due to the surgery, causing slight distortion in my vision. (slight wavy line)

2) 3 years ago, a stage 4 full macular hole was discovered, and it was said to be caused by the pulling of the scar tissue. Went thru the operation with gas bubble in my eye for 3 weeks. Hole was fully closed, but there was little improvement to the central vision

3) 1-2 years ago, started to develop strabismus. Double vision as long as i use both eyes. Went for strabismus surgery recently, but results is so far only cosmetic. Doc has said that due to lack of central vision in my left eye, my brain is unable find a focal point with both eyes and thus my double vision will remain.

I am curious: does macular hole commonly cause this double vision problem?Thus people who had developed macular hole and suffered central vision loss will end up with double vision eventually?

Also, i was my doctor's youngest patient for the macular hole surgery, as macular hole is usually associated with MD. Have read somewhere that macular hole can be caused by factors other than MD, but never heard of anyone with macular problem similar to mine.

Really hope to hear from someone with same problem to share how we can cope with this ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2006, 03:50 AM   #2
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User
    Re: Anyone had vitreous hemmorhage, then macular hole , then strabismus?

Hi, me again. I would say it is not common to develop strabismus from central vision loss. I'm thinking of the millions of people who get macular degeneration but not strabismus.
    I'd say it was the original trauma to your eye, but the double vision didn't occur until several years later. Another possibility is that you may have always been a "candidate" for strabismus but managed to keep the eyes in control up to that time. When your brain could no longer get an image from the bad eye it gave up trying. That's just a guess.

There are some posters here who have had retinal holes and detachments, so they can tell you more about that.

K.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
    Cher2005
    Veteran
    (female)

Cher2005 HB User

I also had a victrectomy in my left eye recently. My retina was becoming detached from scar tissue pulling it away. They fixed that problem but the central vision has not improved either. I notice that I do have double vision at times and it is very annoying and distracting. Sometimes I have to close my left eye just to get a clear view. In the meantime my right eye has formed a cataract and my vision is really suffering all the way around.
    How is your peripherial vision?
    Anyway the left eye does feel better after the victrectomy. I had a pulling sensation and the eyelid was even open more than the other eye giving a lopsided effect. The eye feels calmer now. I have developed cysts on my retina in that eye though. Hopefully they will clear and my vision will improve a bit anyway. Unfortunately it is a wait and see thing. A little disconcerting to say the least.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
    bleuskies
    (female)

bleuskies HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeelaC
    Hi, me again. I would say it is not common to develop strabismus from central vision loss. I'm thinking of the millions of people who get macular degeneration but not strabismus.
    I'd say it was the original trauma to your eye, but the double vision didn't occur until several years later. Another possibility is that you may have always been a "candidate" for strabismus but managed to keep the eyes in control up to that time. When your brain could no longer get an image from the bad eye it gave up trying. That's just a guess.

There are some posters here who have had retinal holes and detachments, so they can tell you more about that.

K.
    Thanks Keela! what you said is what i suspect too. cos with my research, there have been no documentation of double vision as a condition that arises from MD.

would you know in this case, after the brain gives up, is there no way to condition it back to as before?

Old 04-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
    bleuskies
    (female)

bleuskies HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cher2005
    I also had a victrectomy in my left eye recently. My retina was becoming detached from scar tissue pulling it away. They fixed that problem but the central vision has not improved either. I notice that I do have double vision at times and it is very annoying and distracting. Sometimes I have to close my left eye just to get a clear view. In the meantime my right eye has formed a cataract and my vision is really suffering all the way around.
    How is your peripherial vision?
    Anyway the left eye does feel better after the victrectomy. I had a pulling sensation and the eyelid was even open more than the other eye giving a lopsided effect. The eye feels calmer now. I have developed cysts on my retina in that eye though. Hopefully they will clear and my vision will improve a bit anyway. Unfortunately it is a wait and see thing. A little disconcerting to say the least.
    My peripherial vision seems good according the doctors... but for myself, i could the difference... i see things with a very slight tint of yellowish overtone... very slight... can only tell when i do comparing with my good eye.. also, can't see well at night... its like very low resolution digital camera picture if you know what i mean

i don't understand the part about your eyelids though... i though droopy eyelids is possible with surgery but it seems yours is the other way round?

do take care and hopefully your double vision is a temporary condition due to the surgery...

Old 05-01-2006, 05:56 AM   #6
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

Bleuskies: I'm not sure if you can retrain your brain. I know it's pretty much impossible if amblyopia is acquired in early childhood, but yours is recent and your brain is used to working with both eyes. You could ask your doctor if patching your good eye for several hours a day would help.

Closed Thread