It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• cataract surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #16
    Cher2005
    Veteran
    (female)

Cher2005 HB User
    Re: cataract surgery

Hey Eagle, glad to hear your surgery went well. That was your worst eye, right? Glad to hear there is improvement in vision.
    Was interested in what you said about the lasers causing scar tissue. That is the reason they did my victrectomy, cause there was so much scar tissue in that eye that the retina was starting to pull away. Got to say that the eye feels better now and I think there is more light in there, but the vision is not that much better, alas! I'm hoping as the months go by things will improve and I will get more acuity. Doc is talking about new procedures with a cortisone implant that lasts 6 months so I won't have to be injected over and over.
    He checked my cataract on Tues. and said it is not ready for surgery yet. I guess it has to get worse.
    Eeeek this never ends, always something new.
    What I just dont get is my diabetes control is fabulous. My a1c is in the 5 range. But my eyes keep getting worse. It's kinda discouraging. And scary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #17
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cher2005
    Hey Eagle,
    Was interested in what you said about the lasers causing scar tissue. That is the reason they did my victrectomy, cause there was so much scar tissue in that eye that the retina was starting to pull away. Got to say that the eye feels better now and I think there is more light in there, but the vision is not that much better, alas! I'm hoping as the months go by things will improve and I will get more acuity. Doc is talking about new procedures with a cortisone implant that lasts 6 months so I won't have to be injected over and over. ...........
    What I just dont get is my diabetes control is fabulous. My a1c is in the 5 range. But my eyes keep getting worse. It's kinda discouraging. And scary.
    Oh Cher2005, I was getting worried about you, that something had gone wrong on the 2nd day after your vitrectomy. Haven't been seeing you posting, and I looked for you after taking a few days off myself. (Editing weeks later to explain that I hadn't read the date on your post about having had a procedure "yesterday". It was actually a slightly older post.)

If you google cataracts, I believe you'll find that they don't have to be "ripe" any more. You don't suppose you ought to get another opinion, do you? If it's bothering you, I mean.

The vitrectomy is doing okay? Yes, I know it's frightening, the eyes always getting worse. By the time we need an eyeball transplant, heh heh, maybe they will be doing them. I'm researching latest developments online.

Yes, that was my worst eye, and I'm scheduled to have the other done next Friday, June 9. Re my very slight amount of improvement, I'm still legally blind in that eye that I had done, but am hoping as it heals it may get better, as with the retinopathy laser procedures. He said I went immediately from 20/800 to 20/400, but the macula just is not healthy, so I'm hoping my retina surgeon can do more on that, now that she can see it. I'll be reading up on macula degeneration treatments, online. Doing some homework.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-23-2006 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Rephrase

Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
    McArtteacher
    (female)

McArtteacher HB User

I have been diagnosed with cataracts and am trying to decide between Restor, ReZoom and Crystalens. I have worn glasses my whole adult life with no problems until middle age and the need for bifocals. I have worn bifocals or trifocals for the past 12 years and I have never been satisfied. I am constantly snatching the glasses off to see middle range or close-up. Is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences and tried one or another of the above cataract lenses?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #19
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by McArtteacher
    ... Is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences and tried one or another of the above cataract lenses?
    That would be me.
    Read through the posts above, and then ask your questions.
    I have family visiting during the next 2 weeks, but I'll check this board at least every few days.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #20
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

McArtTeacher

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seriousperson
    That would be me.
    Read through the posts above, and then ask your questions.
    I have family visiting during the next 2 weeks, but I'll check this board at least every few days.
    Hi, Art Teacher, Maybe you can summarize/clarify all the above posts for us? I'm having my second cataract surgery in a couple of days, Friday morning, and I too want to know what's best for close-up work. He forgot to talk to me about choices, and now I'm editing to say you have to order the multi-focus lenses 2 wks in advance.

(I have an Assoc. degree in art, btw. Also am into classical music, doing an arrangement for string quartet and synthesizer, of Beethoven's 9th, the choral movement, copying much of the string parts from a conductor score, very hard to see with macular degeneration, cataract too, blocking light. )

Wish I had more time to research this and talk to the surgeon, but I want to get it over with too, and think he'll have pretty good judgement. I'd rather be able to read and see the TV at about 6 ft, intermediate (?) distance, than see 2 miles ahead down the road when driving. At my age, retired from driving everyone's kids to school and extracuriculars, I may not be driving all that much. I work on family portraits, besides my arranging experiment.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-16-2006 at 04:26 AM.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #21
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

Eagle, are you aware of the closed-circuit TV gizmos that are marvellous for magnification? You place your work (musical score) on a movable base and the image appears on a monitor. All kinds of adjustments for size of image and background colours. The one I have is made by Optelec, if you want to look them up.

Mcartteacher: There is another alternative you might want to consider. Some people have a far lens put in one eye and a close lens in the other. It is easier to get used to than it sounds. Don't know if it can be done with one multi-focal lens and one stationary lens though. We had a discussion about this a short time ago, but don't remember the name of the thread.

Last edited by KeelaC; 06-07-2006 at 05:16 AM.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #22
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: McArtTeacher

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eagle
    ... I'm having my second cataract surgery in a couple of days, Friday morning, and I too want to know what's best for close-up work. ....
    Eagle, It's my understanding that if you were to have the Crystalens, Restor, or ReZoom, it would have had to been ordered 2 weeks prior to your surgery.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #23
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, KeelaC.!

Thanks, KeelaC. I'll print this out and look into it, the magnifier.

McArt, I know, they told me today that other options have to be ordered much earlier, and cost $3000, not covered by group ins, but "who knew?" The phone person said there's another fine-tuning procedure, CT I think she said, a little like Lasik, involves cornea, $1600 each eye, and you might not need both, not covered. They did give me a lot of samples of a supplement to try to improve the health of my retina macula, lutein and something that starts with a z.

I wasn't told about multi-focus IOL's before my first surgery, and I suspect none of this very likeable surgeon's other patients are told either. We'll be comparing notes in the waiting room at appointments. IF NOT FOR THIS BOARD, I never would have heard of multi-focus lenses and a lot of other vocabulary. Probably the acrylic stationary ones will be okay for me or he'd have probably said so. I don't know how they expect us to know all these things. I searched a lot online after getting my start here, still can't keep a lot of it straight.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-23-2006 at 12:20 AM.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #24
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle, may your surgery be successful and leave you with "eagle eyes," able to see distant shores.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #25
    my2sorefeet
    (female)

my2sorefeet HB User

July 19th can't come fast enough. My eye is getting even worse. Two weeks ago I basically lost all vision in my left eye, and as of 4 days ago I have to close that eye to drive at night. I'm getting double vision, severe hazing/halos. It's not as bad when there are no cars coming towards me, but when there are a lot of cars coming toward me, it's almost debilatating. Luckily I don't have far to drive at night because by the time I get home at night. my right eye is just throbbing. I so hope that efter the surgery, this will be cleared up. I know it will take a little time for my eyes to adjust to the new lens, but it HAS to be better than what I am going through now.
    I HATE cataracts!!!
    Debi

Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #26
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

my2sorefeet,
    How big are the halo's now?
    For instance, how many headlights could fit into a halo?

And what do you mean by "throbbing"? That doesn't sound like something that can be fixed by cataract surgery. But maybe you don't mean it literally?

My halos' now are bigger than before the surgery. Supposedly that will be fixed when I get the "YAG" where a laser perforates the clouded lens capsule. But I'm not in a hurry to have it done. I only live 1.5 miles from my job.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #27
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks

Good morning Sunday June 10. Good luck, 2SoreFeet! Thanks much for the well-wishing, SeriousPerson. I needed that.

My better eye isn't doing nearly as well as the first one, so far. Too bad it's a weekend. I'll have to call in tomorrow.

The Pred Forte drops now make everything look too blue, didn't have that problem with the first eye, so if anyone else has that problem, some artificial tears sort of washes it away. Not completely.

Vision's still not nearly as good as before the surgery, but hopefully will be getting better every day as the first one did.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-16-2006 at 04:32 AM.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #28
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle, it's been a year since my first one, and it is still improving (as is the second).
    A lot of it is a brain-to-eye thing. New born babies have all the equipment to see, but the brain does not yet have the visual effects encoded, so to speak.
    A new intraocular lens is like a new language for the brain.

Most cataract surgery patients see everything blue at first. I'm the only one I've heard of who had everything look pink. But perhaps you had neither with your first one.
    It does fade.
    Colors are much more vivid now than they were before surgery.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #29
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Most See Everything Blue, Starting 2 Days After Surgery?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seriousperson
    Eagle, it's been a year since my first one, and it is still improving (as is the second).A lot of it is a brain-to-eye thing. New born babies have all the equipment to see, but the brain does not yet have the visual effects encoded, so to speak. A new intraocular lens is like a new language for the brain.

Most cataract surgery patients see everything blue at first. I'm the only one I've heard of who had everything look pink. But perhaps you had neither with your first one. It does fade. Colors are much more vivid now than they were before surgery.
    Hey, THANKS, SeriousPerson! I knew my first one would keep improving, and your having been there is extremely valuable and comforting. Did you feel at first that your vision was actually worse than before you started?

I just never heard of seeing blue before. It's like a thin blue film over everything, right?

This is my better eye, was doing most of the work of the other one, so I've been finally looking up risks and side effects of the drops, better late than never.

Prolonged use is bad, not supposed to be for more than one day(?) before the surgery and two weeks after, I think. Both my little flashlights just burned out, that I was using until I get stronger glasses, and I bought the wrong size replacements, so can't read my printouts right now to tell you which one. One of them can injure the cornea, a real threat to vision.

If I just discontinue drops the rest of today instead of calling his pager number, which I really hate to do, I'd only miss two doses. Some people might even forget those two A girlfriend said she was just being a rebel and wasn't faithful about hers, now has to take them for a month. Her cataract was probably disintegrated and suctioned, while mine was removed in one piece, a larger incision I would guess.

I noticed the pred forte caused a temporary blue film on the first eye after a while, having used it nearly two weeks, and it seems to be hanging onto the second eye, just operated Friday. I'm even afraid some of it seeped through the incision to someplace where it didn't belong, maybe coated the artificial lens or something, but I will try to take your advice and not worry so much. You are supposed to discard the pred forte if it's become discolored or has particles in it. I hate to waste any by pouring it into the cap to see.

Vision is getting better but sometimes there's a little double vision, like two numbers looking like three, and like you said, I figured the two very different eyes just aren't adjusted to working with each other yet.

There's such a thing as your pouch for the new lens not being strong enough and it getting a diopter (whatever that is) off, or something like that, I just now found out by web searching. Wasn't nervous at all at the surgery center. One woman's head had to be taped down! They must not have waited quite long enough after the deadening drops for her and she felt the incision. So did I, a little bit, like a paper cut, and I think I said "Ow" softly, but the rest was okay. She said she jumped, and sort of yelled at him.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-11-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #30
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC's Info re Low Vision Aids

[QUOTE=KeelaC] Eagle, are you aware of the closed-circuit TV gizmos that are marvellous for magnification? You place your work (musical score) on a movable base and the image appears on a monitor. All kinds of adjustments for size of image and background colours. The one I have is made by Optelec, if you want to look them up. .......QUOTE]

KeelaC, I found them on the web, printed out the ad, and will look first at Ebay before purchasing one of those $2395 machines, evidently made in Europe, the "Clearview Flex."

I can never thank you enough.

So you're using one of these and I'm assuming that you're also a musician, by your using the word Score. So glad I "met" you, and hope others will benefit from your info also.

Last edited by Eagle; 06-12-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Name

Closed Thread