HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Eye & Vision (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/eye-vision/)
-   -   cataract surgery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/eye-vision/394361-cataract-surgery.html)

seriousperson 06-12-2006 08:18 PM

Re: cataract surgery

Eagle,
Yes, the blue tinge is very common. I don't think it has anything to do with the drops. My understanding is that the yellow tinge of the cataract had caused the brain to sort of think blue to compensate. So, with the yellowed lens removed, everything looks blue until the brain realizes it no longer needs to compensate for a yellowed lens.
As I said, I'm the only person I know of who saw a pink/purple tint. Perhaps my old lens was more greenish-yellow than yellow-orange.

I took the drops exactly as directed. They are prescribed to prevent complications.

Yes, my vision was worse right after. That is, my corrected vision (with glasses) was worse than my pre-surgery vision with glasses. Without glasses, my near vision was worse after surgery than before. But without glasses, my post-surgery mid-range and distant vision was almost 20/20, whereas before surgery it was the equivalent of 20/800 (meaning at 20 ft. I saw as well as a "normal" person would see at 800 ft. away from something).

I felt a lot of anxiety after the surgeries like you are now. The thing that calmed me most was going down to Lake Michigan and looking out at the waves without my glasses.

Eagle 06-13-2006 02:03 AM

Right After 2nd Eye Cataract Surgery

Thanks for the reply, SeriousPerson. You and I both had 20/800 in our worst eye. That one is now 20/400 for me, or maybe a little better, still improving, I can tell.

That's interesting about the cataract having color, never heard that before, and about your seeing a different color than most.

I went out to enlarge the pred forte insert, also printed out the internet warnings about all of the drops. They really are not for prolonged use.

The good news is that when I skipped one set of drops, the blue cleared up by the next morning. I'm using them again now. Maybe had accidentally gotten two drops instead of one.

Did you take them for longer than 3 wks? You said it's been a year. Do you have Dry Eye too? They say that and diabetes make a difference, that you should tell your doctor you have either of those, but he knows.

I realize the drops are to prevent complications. This is the 5th day for me and the anesthetic should be wearing off some time today or tomorrow so maybe I'll not be as worried. Have felt disoriented and half-alive, sleeping it off a lot, fortunately have a girlfriend who's just been through the same thing, since my husband's out of town on business. Having her helps both of us quite a lot. She's still blurry, and having to use the drops for a month because she didn't keep up with them as ordered the first 2 wks. She doesn't notice any adverse effects.

You probably bought temporary glasses, and had to change them as you improved, right? Bifocals? The standard IOL's are more for distance, I think. Wish I'd found out about multi-focals, extra money, in time.

Anyone ever dealt with Lighthouse International? Guess you have to qualify, to get help with visual aids like the Optelec Clearview Flex page magnifier which is about $2400.

seriousperson 06-13-2006 06:18 PM

Eagle, I bought 3 sets of reader glasses at the Dollar Store (different strengths) shortly after the surgery. Now I have bifocals: The lower part is for reading, the upper part is for helping people with the computer at work (in an academic library). I also have driving glasses--they just fix the astigmatism. I would have progressive lenses, but with the 2 different and fancy implants, they don't work.

Yes, I've had dry eye for many years. I can definitely see better right after I put drops in my eyes. No diabetes though, fortunately. But I've had life-long depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and anxiety, all of which flared up with the cataracts and the surgeries.

I'm sorry you didn't have information on the lens options earlier. It's nice to at least have the opportunity to make a choice. I wish I had waited a bit for the next generation of intraocular lenses. But it seems to be "six of one, half a dozen of the other." There are positive and negative aspects to each lens choice. It should be simpler (and less expensive) for you to get a prescription that works with your implants.

Also, if you use the FireFox browser for Internet (instead of Internet Explorer or Netscape), you can hold down the Ctrl key while you tap the + key to make text larger, even when it won't get larger in IE. If you have a Mac, I think the Safari browser does the same thing. I viewed my screen with enlarged text during the months that I didn't have prescription reading glasses. The Systems Librarian at work even installed FireFox for me on all the Reference computers so I could help patrons without leaning forward in front of them.

Eagle 06-14-2006 07:34 AM

Wonderful Info, Many Thanks

[QUOTE=seriousperson]Eagle, I bought 3 sets of reader glasses at the Dollar Store (different strengths) shortly after the surgery. Now I have bifocals: The lower part is for reading, the upper part is for helping people with the computer at work (in an academic library). I also have driving glasses--they just fix the astigmatism. I would have progressive lenses, but with the 2 different and fancy implants, they don't work.

Yes, I've had dry eye for many years. I can definitely see better right after I put drops in my eyes. No diabetes though, fortunately. But I've had life-long depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and anxiety, all of which flared up with the cataracts and the surgeries.

I'm sorry you didn't have information on the lens options earlier. It's nice to at least have the opportunity to make a choice. I wish I had waited a bit for the next generation of intraocular lenses. But it seems to be "six of one, half a dozen of the other." There are positive and negative aspects to each lens choice. It should be simpler (and less expensive) for you to get a prescription that works with your implants......

Also, if you use the FireFox browser for Internet (instead of Internet Explorer or Netscape), you can hold down the Ctrl key while you tap the + key to make text larger, even when it won't get larger in IE. If you have a Mac, I think the Safari browser does the same thing. I viewed my screen with enlarged text during the months that I didn't have prescription reading glasses. The Systems Librarian at work even installed FireFox for me on all the Reference computers so I could help patrons without leaning forward in front of them.[/QUOTE]

THANKS MUCH for all the info, especially about the Firefox browser. It replaces I.E. and you can't have both, I'm assuming. Maybe it'll also get me into one of the newest true crime forums I've belonged to until they made a lot of changes, about the JonBenet Ramsey case, Yes, we still discuss it, at Websleuths and a couple of other places.

I'm mostly okay about not getting the more expensive lenses, and suspect there would have been problems with them. Guess I'll always wonder.

I've got all kinds of otc reading glasses too, none of them strong enough, think I might first go to a cheapo place for some more temporary ones, in hopes vision will be gradually improving for a year or more as yours did. The cheapest reading glasses really don't work as well as slightly more expensive ones. And I'll be checking into magnifiers like the Optelec one.

Oh, and I use a PC, not a Mac. I may wait a couple of days till hubby gets home from a business trip to switch browsers. Have been to Accessability of course, and if you enlarge there you have to enlarge too much, no slider or any way to choose the right size.

Eagle 06-16-2006 04:41 AM

One Wk and 3 Wks After C. Surgery

Word of caution to any new people, the inserts about the drops say they're not for prolonged use, preferrably no more than ten days. One can (rarely) injure your optic nerve and/or increase "pressure", and one can, rarely I guess, injure your corneas.

Were you so tired a week after your second operation that you feared you were losing what was left of your vision? I too bought dollar store reading glasses, weakest ones for driving, to use under my big sun glasses, and a 3.50 for reading, which is still more difficult than before. I know, give it a year. And your MACULA DEGENERATION didn't get any worse in a year?

I'm only pointing out these precautions from the inserts I enlarged because a local friend said she neglected to use her drops as prescribed at first and was told to use them now for a month. But when she called for a refill they withdrew that advice. I don't know if her surgeon had been terribly mad at her and had gotten a bit unprofessional. She's in her 70's like me, and doesn't need any more trouble.

seriousperson 06-18-2006 10:56 PM

Just returned from a family reunion/wedding.[QUOTE=Eagle][QUOTE=seriousperson]...if you use the FireFox browser for Internet (instead of Internet Explorer or Netscape), you can hold down the Ctrl key while you tap the + key to make text larger...[/QUOTE]...about the Firefox browser. It replaces I.E. and you can't have both, I'm assuming. ...[/QUOTE]You can have both. Sometimes I still use IE for features that FireFox doesn't share.

seriousperson 06-21-2006 10:44 PM

Re: Free Firefox Browser

[QUOTE=Eagle]...Probably each time you turn on your computer you have to choose what browser? Or ...[/QUOTE]I believe that FireFox, like IE and Netscape, will prompt you to choose whether to set it as your default browser or not.

[QUOTE=Eagle]...As you were saying, I somehow wasn't given a choice of multi-focus lenses which would have cost extra but would be worth it, as the cumbersome magnification devices can easily cost that much. Yesterday I found some TV-viewing "glasses" or goggles, $14.95, I think I'll order, since he said I'm not quite ready to be tested for new glasses. Maybe they could be adjusted to do all my paperwork....[/QUOTE]Actually, I have 3 prescriptions of glasses even with the multi-focal implants. It sounds like you might be feeling disappointed about the results. I was very upset about my results for at least the first 3 months. But as the brain learns to interpret the new visual information, and as your ability to see steadily (but slowly) improves, you will be able to appreciate the results.

Eagle 06-22-2006 02:27 AM

You're Right

Thanks for the encouragement, and I will keep in mind that even with the multi-focal lenses you still have to have three glasses prescriptions. I did go to a dollar store and got some 1.25 to wear under my sunglasses for driving, and a 3.50 pair, which already aren't strong enough for reading. He seems to be saying prescription ones will be a better quality, wouldn't doubt it. I knew they would only be temporary and only paid about $5. I have a bunch of old ones put away in a freezer bag. Lost my 1980 prescription bifocals.

Last night on "Golden Girls", Sophia said somebody was getting HBO from their eyeballs, lol, and do your lenses have those wings on them? I'd probably start thinking they're antennae or something. I was asking the eye surgeon if I'll be able to get my driving license renewed in a couple of years, and he said maybe a restriction of night driving, that I may get 20?50 in my best eye. He said "Don't worry," understands me I guess. I knew I had lots of scar tissue and maculopathy. There are some eye vitamins caps, just four letters in the name. I don't think we're allowed to mention brand names. The word eye is abbreviated to one letter, phonetic. They gave me a lot of samples, on cards that have coupons, and I'll get more at the store. Some web articles say they may help your damaged macula. Contain lutein and something that starts with, I think, a z. Have you had your license renewed yet?

About the additional browser, finally it occurred to me I'd have to choose a default browser like a default printer, and you've confirmed it. Thanks. Just have been so distracted about my eyes. Although I'm 70, musicians just keep going and going, and I had a dream of returning to a former job with an orchestra, but it's rather a long way to drive at night to rehearsals.

The price of the TV goggles at firststreetonline is not $14.95 but $149.95, correction. Sometimes I see two numbers as three numbers, especially digital ones, but this time saw three as two. I'm getting adjusted though, like you said. It hasn't even been 2 wks for my second eye. He did tell me to do the drops for another week, and one of the web articles says use the corticosteroids a lot. I told him about the inserts and he assured me it'll be okay as long as an opthalmologist is watching your situation.

seriousperson 06-22-2006 01:34 PM

Yes, I just got my license renewed. For the first time ever I am not required to wear corrective lenses when driving. But I always do because to see 20/20 in the optometrist's chair I have to look hard for at least a few seconds, and that is not an option when traveling at 50 mph or greater. It's been almost a year since my second surgery, and I am just now becoming comfortable driving with the flow of traffic when it is above the posted speed limit. But I still stay out of the fast lane and drive in the slow lane at night. I try not to drive at night at all.

I use the same glasses for watching television that I do for driving. They correct astigmatism.

Then I have bifocals with a lower half for reading and an upper half for the computer.

The prescription glasses will be much better than the over-the-counter ones, but if you get the prescription ones now, you'll have to replace them. So it depends upon how pressing it is for you to see very clearly now. As a librarian, I couldn't wait and had to go through several prescription changes in the first 6-8 months. Fortunately I have an optician who has a policy of replacing post-cataract surgery lenses gratis within the 6 months. I wound up paying for 2 sets out of about 5.

Eagle 06-22-2006 03:01 PM

Very Helpful Information, and I Have Some

It's nice to know some places will exchange your prescription lenses a few times. I never would have thought of that.

I just found a new site about a new drug for macular degeneration coming out THIS month, LUCENTIS, and I'm not sure it's okay to post a link here. I haven't checked the rules in a while. Maybe I can say MDSupport at least, and a search for low-vision aids will list it.

Maybe something like amd.org. I don't think that's exactly it. My pilot son and his fam live in a Baltimore suburb, and this exciting research report is about work at Johns Hopkins. My daughter-in-law had her eyeball reshaped and one of my grand daughters has to have that done too when she's 21. I sent them a copy/paste of some of the article I just read, and I registered for their newsletter. Some say don't have your work done at a teaching hospital. Guess the surgeon gets distracted.

All along I've been meaning to ask you, do you worry about macular degeneration getting worse? This site suggests a lot of things. I think one is olive oil, and statins, which I'm afraid of because of reading of deaths. I'd just started using more olive oil, and I'm on zetia.

I forget what their other good-sounding suggestions were, haven't read it all yet, just bookmarked the site. You can get an information packet in the mail, with a magnetized(?) ansler or amsler grid.

On the one I already have, I can't even see the dot with my right eye, though I enlarged it quite a bit, and have a new blind spot with my left eye but it's small. And About 7 other new drugs are coming on the market, for related diseases. It gives you lots of hope. Now if they just figure a way, besides vitrectomy, to remove retinopathy scar tissue harmlessly. I'm sure you also have some scarring, right? I may read this whole thread again although it's about 9 pages, there's so much in it.

jaydees 06-22-2006 09:05 PM

My wife had cataract surgery in March this year and her sight in that eye was much better immediatly. Now her 'good' eye(unaltered) is actually the one with worse vision.

She and others who had the same surgery the same day had 'flashes' in the eye that was worked on. This is reported as a common occurance. She does not get that as much any more but she does get some pain in that eye occasionally. Sometimes it seems it can be attributed to wind or bright sun that day or the day before the pain is felt.

Anyone else have this problem?

oh, btw, she had 3 types of drops that she took exactly as instructed only one of which(an antibiotic iirc) that she took for ten days post surgery.

Eagle 06-22-2006 11:40 PM

Flashes

Hi, Jaydees,

She's telling her doctor about the flashes, right? A woman whose appointments usually coincide with mine has had them, although she got 20/20 results. If I see her next time I'll find out what he told her about the flashes and headache.

Patients who don't have much or any macular damage and scars from diabetic retinopathy laser procedures do get immediate clear vision, and probably when your wife has her other eye done it will again be her better one. You didn't say if she has 20/20 in the operated eye and if she's diabetic, which usually causes slower healing. I still had occasional pain 3 mo. after a benign skin lesion biopsy in March of this year, and also get some occasional pain from having both cataracts done since then, and using the Ansler or Amsler grid to check progress of macular degeneration, I've found a new blind spot, smaller than a dime, in my better eye where I didn't have any spots show up before, just since the last surgery 2 wks ago, although cataract surgery isn't supposed to speed up macular degeneration.

A new drug, LUCENTIS, has been approved and may be on the market today, to slow or stop further macular degeneration, an exciting breakthrough.

Eagle 06-23-2006 12:06 AM

Adjustment Period

[QUOTE=seriousperson]......Actually, I have 3 prescriptions of glasses even with the multi-focal implants. It sounds like you might be feeling disappointed about the results.

I was very upset about my results for at least the first 3 months. But as the brain learns to interpret the new visual information, and as your ability to see steadily (but slowly) improves, you will be able to appreciate the results.[/QUOTE]

I've read that with the multi-focals, which you have, it takes a few weeks to adjust. I have the old-fashioned mono-focals. Also was warned that I have so much macular degeneration and scar tissue that I might not get very good results. Macular degeneration seems to have progressed faster in the 2 wks since my better eye was done, in which I didn't have a blind spot before, so I'm all excited about this new medicine, LUCENTIS to slow it down. Maybe they will find a way to harmlessly remove scar tissue also. I've signed up for a newsletter from the best amd web site that I've found so far. It has large print, and so much more information than I've given here.

My next license test for driving will probably be in March, 2007.

Eagle 06-23-2006 12:15 AM

Halo's

[QUOTE=seriousperson]my2sorefeet.........My halos' now are bigger than before the surgery.

Supposedly that will be fixed when I get the "YAG" where a laser perforates the clouded lens capsule. But I'm not in a hurry to have it done. I only live 1.5 miles from my job.[/QUOTE]

Does this help with your question about halo's, Jaydee?

SeriousPerson, I don't blame you for hesitating about the "Yag" procedure. I thought someone here said after that you can't have any more procedures. Probably I read it wrong. You certainly have overcome a lot of eye problems.

seriousperson 06-25-2006 12:58 AM

Eagle,

I don't have macular problems (that I know of, yet), but my mother does.
I did a bit of research on the lucentis you mentioned.
Perhaps it could help my mother (who has also had cataract surgery).

And yes, after the YAG, a replacement of the lens implant would be so difficult as to be not considered except in the most extreme situations. Currently that procedure is not done very much anyway, but I'm "young" enough at 53 to imagine a time in the next 10 years when my implants will be thought of as "old technology" and that perhaps lens exchanges will be more commonly done.
But what really makes me hesitate to have the YAG is that there's no guarantee that it will improve one's vision, and there is a slight risk of the retina being damaged.
But when I drove my daughter to the airport at 3am yesterday, my vision was poor enough due to halos that I am seriously considering getting the YAG done in at least one eye sooner rather than later.