It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• cataract surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #76
    Cher2005
    Veteran
    (female)

Cher2005 HB User
    Re: cataract surgery

Please let us know how you are as soon as possible. We are all concerned. I know what it feels like to have this underlying anxiety most of the waking day. It's hard to think about other things when you are constantly battling to see and wondering if things are worse day by day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 AM   #77
    my2sorefeet
    (female)

my2sorefeet HB User

Well, it's been a few days since the surgery, and I think all is going well. I sure was tired and slept a LOT the first 2 days. It didn't help that I only had about an hours sleep the morning before the surgery. I'm putting all the drops in that the doc gave me, plus I went and bought some Refresh drops because my eyes seemed to dry out about the 3rd morning. I think it;s the stitches that I feel, cause it's always in the same spot that I feel the irritation. It's much better now that I use the additional drops. My eye was tender for the first 3 days, felt like some one had stuck a finger in my eye. Vision has definetly been improving daily. I still have a little shimmering, especially when I look to the side. I really don't have any halos at night, nothing like I did with the cataract. The first night, I would see a rainbow circle around the lights, nothing that interfered with my sight. Now I just get the "X" halo, and it's very thin lines. I can live with that, because it doesn't interfere with my night vision. It's amazing how crisp and bright everything is. White is white again! I still can't read close up, but it is slowly getting better each day. I can see better in the morning, and as my eyes get tired during the day, my vision does get a little blurrier. I've noticed ghosting today and that interferes a little with my reading at intermediate and far distances. I've been going without my glasses since the surgery. I don't want my new eye to get used to that old prescription. I can actually see pretty good this way. The near-sightedness of my right eye lets me read, and my left eye does the distance stuff. My eyes still get tired quickly, so I tend to limit my reading right now. I drove to the store today on my own. I used my prescription sunglasses, but found that I would lower them to see better. I was even able to drive with out them on and saw just fine. I'm able to read the computer screen easier, with my face further away from the screen, but it is still blurry. I think a big part of that is the ghosting. I know that the ghosting is interferring with my reading vision. But as I said, each day is getting better. I see sucha difference between my eyes now. The right eye still has a cataract and when I close my left eye and just use the right, it's so dull and fuzzy. White seems more of an eggshell or off-white color. Then I switch eyes and the difference is amazing. Who knew that that colors could be so crisp and vibrant. LOL. My flower garden is so much more colorful than I realized. I haven't had vision like this since I was a child, not even with my glasses throughout the years.
    My surgery went really well. I had the first one of the day and my doctor was right on schedule. He came in a chatted with me for a bit. Very friendly man. I asked him about my right eye and he said that we could do it any time, so I'm focused on saving for that now. Hopefully within the month. I asked if he was putting ReZoom in bilateraly and he said he thought so. He probably spent about 15 minutes talking to me and never seemed like he was in a rush. All of the staff was very friendly. The nurse did say that she had never seen a cataract as developed as mine was at my age. You could see my cataract from across the room. My husband told me that this could be very distracting. Anyway, they wheeled me off to surgery and knocked me out. About the time he was breaking up the cataract, I came to. I couldn't really feel anything, other than some pressure. I wanted to tell them to put me back under, but didn't date move while he was "in" my eye. SO I watched the surgery. It was interesting to see the cataract break up and then see it "sucked" out of the eye. Suddenly everything was clear. THen when he was putting the lens in, my vision would be perfect off and on. I could see the operating lights and was amazed at how bright they were and how much detail I could see. The only thing I didn't like was when he stitched me up. That felt a tad like a pinch. Than I had a patch placed on and was wheeled back to the recovery room. I do remember him telling me that the surgery took a little longer than expected because it was a little more complicated than he thought. I'll have to ask him about that when I see him again. (My follow-up appt. was with his partner)
    Anyway, so far so good and I'm glad I had it done. ANd so far, no complaints about the ReZoom lens. At 4 days post-op, I think I'm doing great.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #78
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Re: 4 days after cataract surgery

Congratulations, you made it through.

The sleepiness may last a bit longer. A pal and I both had our surgeries about 6 wks ago and were tired and slept a lot for a while. Had that anesthetic that just makes you relaxed but awake, and drops. Mine didn't seem to wear off for about ten days, six days with the first eye.

Vitamins help a lot if you're awfully tired. A doctor recommended some with zinc, although that's supposed to be a man's vitamin, that are getting rather hard to find with the original brand name. There's imitations. A woman thyroid doctor once told our support group that you have to take 6 or 8 of today's vitamins to do you any good so don't be afraid of them.

They may forget to tell you to wait about your prescription glasses, that vision's changing for several months. Internet sites advise just using drugstore glasses.

More on my adventure in case it prevents someone else having the same experiences, it cost me about $400 for prescription progressive lenses with magnets for sunglasses, but I think the prescription was way wrong, just didn't work for me from day one.

I'd had an eye exam at a mall a few months before cataract surgery, prescription 3.25, but this young surgeon who's been practicing 8 yrs said he thought 250 would be fine, before doing any exam, and I assumed prescription glasses would be that much better. Seems like a very nice guy but too many miscommunications, and I'm now looking about for a woman opthalmologist, especially if I have to have the yag procedure. At least I didn't get any additional retina damage so far, but enough errors to get paranoid. Ordered some 3.75 readers online, since you can only get up to 3.50 in local drugstores. Still have to use a magnifying glass for detail work, available with a little light bulb at an ofc supply store or hardware store. Keep us posted on what you have to use as you recover, okay?

I've searched the web for contraindictions about multi-focus lens implants, and can't verify their claim that diabetic damage and retinopathy laser scarring precludes them. There were so many patients he probably just plain forgot. The assistant man even told me I'd have lost distance vision with the mutli-focals and I know from all the web articles that's not true.

Last edited by Eagle; 07-23-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #79
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My2SoreFeet, I just read your whole post again. I'm especially intersted in the fact that even with a multi-focal lens you don't have much near vision yet. You'll keep us posted when it gets better, right?

Last night just before bedtime, I saw the lighted numbers 70 on my TV cable box, that I haven't been able to see before. This is 6 wks post-op. Improvement comes and goes. I may or may not see it again for a while. It was encouraging.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #80
    my2sorefeet
    (female)

my2sorefeet HB User

I'm at 3 weeks post-op now. My eye still gets tired easily, but things are slowly improving. I still can't read regular print close up, fine print is impossible, and I'm still a little blurry on intermediate and far distances. My halos are improving. I still have the double vision. I think that is my biggest hangup right now. I think I could read at intermediate and far distances if that would clear up. My doc says he doesn't know what to tell me as to when that will clear up. I rarely wear my glasses so that my eye can adjust. So far I've been able to drive with out my glasses on. It's a little blurry still but I can do it. Once dusk hits, it's harder to read. I can tell when it's getting darker just by how much my eye seems to strain to see, if that makes sense. I drove home tonight with out my glasses on (actually lowered on my nose, so I was looking over them). The halos were minimal. It was blurry and I definetly strained more to see, but I was able to do it. I wouldn't have done it if there had been more traffic, but it was light tonight. Oh, I saw the doctor Wednesday and he dilated my eye. He said that it was cloudy back there. I did have a very dense cataract and he said it probably was due to that, but it could also just be the typical post-cataract clouding that happens. Anyway, he YAG'd me and it has helped some. The halos definetely decreased, and I was able to read better. Things seemed to become clearer. I asked him about the Restore/ReZoom combo and he said we would talk about it. ReZoom isn't the best for close up reading, and Restore is better at it, so a mix seems logical. I want to wait a little bit before I have the next surgery so that my eye settles, but I also want to get it done before the fall rains start. I think trying to drive at night in the rain with an eye recovering and adjusting after surgery won't be fun. I'm just nervous about having both eyes done and having the blurriness. Right now my right eye compensates for the reading, etc. But I can tell that cataract is getting worse, so I know it's just a matter of time.
    Anyway, things are going good so far. I can't wait til I don't have to wear glasses at all. Right now I'm at 20/50 without glasses on the left eye. That's a HUGE improvement over what it was. I know my right eye is nowhere near that and decreasing everyday. It's amazing how fast these things can progress. Oh well, thankfully we have ways to correct this.
    Debi

Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #81
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2SoreFeet's Post-Op Great News

Wonderful, Sore Feet.

My best eye after the two cataract surgeries is only 20/70 with the old-fashioned mono-focus implant, and as most diabetics do, I had some macular swelling decreasing my vision even from that, but was injected last Wed with a steroid, Kennolog, not sure about the spelling, and it's getting better. I could read one line after the SL, not entirely correctly, but better than before. Wouldn't have been able to get a driving license.

A girl in Australia is going to have something brand new,TETRAFLEX, which costs 3 X as much as ReZoom, she says. It's flexible like your ciliary muscle, but that's only been tested for a year so far, and not guaranteed any longer. She says even if it stiffens up, you're no worse off than with the others that don't have that feature. I haven't googled it yet. Thought you just might like to know. What a relief to be half done, huh?

She said she was given a printed handout about all the different kinds of implants. Did anyone here get one?

I'm so glad for you, Sore Feet !

Last edited by Eagle; 08-12-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #82
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Hi, I've been too busy to visit, and probably will also be in the coming months with my job.
    my2sorefeet, your surgery sounds very successful.
    It was about 6 months for me before the ReStor lens was very functional for reading.
    It's been a year now, and my brain is still perfecting seeing with the implants. But I was very nearsighted before, so it really is like learning to see all over again.
    I think I need the YAG, but I haven't yet heard of any unqualified positive results. But I might go for it in my left eye, the first one I had done that has the crystalens. The halos at night are very milky now.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #83
    my2sorefeet
    (female)

my2sorefeet HB User

The YAG did clear things up a little. The doctor warned me I might have a few more floaters for a while, but so far I've only had one and I think it's gone already. I haven't noticed it anyway.
    Are your eyes more sensitive to the heat, such as a really hot day or a wram breeze? Mine seem to dry out quicker and feel gritty. THey also get tired quicker on those days and then my vision gets blurrier.
    I went and bought a pair of readers today; 2.00. It works great on my new eye, but I definetly can't read through them with my old eye. Way too blurry. I did notice something interesting. I've been having ghosting (have since the 2nd day post-op) and with the readers on, there is no ghosting.
    I stopped in at my opticians today and ordered a clear lens for my prescription glasses (left eye of course). I'm hoping that I can then wear my glasses and be able to see better. Right now my left eye is my distance eye, and it's not perfect yet, and my "bad" eye is my reading eye. I've been feeling the strain on my right eye the last couple of days and I have noticed the cataract is getting worse. The halos are becoming foggier and the vision in the day is blurrier. THe other night it was not fun driving home. Both of my eyes were tired.
    This Wednesday will be a month for me, so I guess I'm doing pretty good. I am sooooo glad I found this forum before I had my surgery. I think I would have been disappointed with the surgery otherwise, thinking I would have seen perfectly afterward. I'm thinking I should tell my doctor about this sight so he can tell other patients about it. My doctor is excellent, but he hasn't had to live with cataract surgery and the adjustment to a new lens.
    I had asked how long he thought the ghosting might last and he told me he didn't know how to answer that. At least he was honest with me. I think he was thinking the YAG might help with that problem, which of course it hasn't. It did make the halo situation better and my day vision a bit crisper.
    It's kind of funny. I've been wearing glasses 22 years and the last 4 weeks I barely wear them. When I go to bed at night, out of habit I reach up to take them off, and I'm not wearing them. When I do put them on, they irritate my nose and ears. They just feel so foreign.
    Now I just need the other eye done, and with any luck, no more glasses. Between now and then, I need to decide whether I go with ReZoom again or try Restore.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #84
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I forgot to mention, now that it's been a year, the ghosting with the ReStor is basically gone. It may have taken me 6 months; I'm not sure. But I adjust slowly to change.

And yes, my already dry eyes were even dryer after the surgery. Again, a year out, they're at least no dryer than before surgery.

Last edited by seriousperson; 08-15-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:59 AM   #85
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2SoreFeet

"Now I just need the other eye done, and with any luck, no more glasses. Between now and then, I need to decide whether I go with ReZoom again or try Restore."

There's also a much more expensive new lens, Tetraflex, that has only been tested for about a year or 10 mo.
    It's in 32 countries and I think made in Fla., but maybe the FDA hasn't really approved it yet here (???) I wouldn't want to be among the first to try it, but you just feel better knowing all the options in advance, I think.

Editing the day after Halloween to add that an internet friend in Australia is having the ReSTOR implant Nov. 9. Her surgeon must have heard something bad about the Tetraflex, and decided to use ReSTOR after all. You hear a lot of good things about it.

Last edited by Eagle; 11-02-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #86
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: cataract surgery, then yag

How large are these holes they make in the Yag procedure, 2sorefeet? How many? What were the Consent forms like? Scary? Would there be any bleeding into the eye?

Did they tell you that they intentionally leave a bit of membrane in the center of the lens they're removing, and were you told why? I had so many questions today, and I think he mumbled a bit on that one. Or I just didn't hear it clearly or remember.

In post #83,which I just read again, you verified that the Yag procedure can be done in-office! Great! And approximately how much did it cost? You didn't even have to sign any consent forms? I can't find any info on it by a keyword, google search. Thx in advance.

Last edited by Eagle; 11-02-2006 at 01:20 AM.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #87
    Sluggo1943
    (male)

Sluggo1943 HB User

I wonder if the bifocal lenses are really perfected. We know the regular lenses is, and for people like me with very poor distance vision, it's unbelievable that we don't have to glasses except to read. I don't mind the Ben Franklin ones.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #88
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Improved (?) Implants

Someone I PM with who lives in Australia just had a Tetraflex implanted, which is only about a couple of years old and not much is known yet about its performance. Plus it costs about $9000 more than ReSTOR, I think she said. They told her that near-vision, 12 inches, and distant vision would be good, but computer vision not so great.

Somebody who's had the Yag procedure please tell us if it was done w/out any damage to either the implant or the retina, if they do it in the office, almost on impulase, probably a consent form required, etc., etc.? Does the debris go into your blood stream?

I did find out that this one Dr. makes a hole a little larger than your pupil. Is that normal? He says the edges of your implant are scarred into place by 6 mo. and even if no capsule were left, the implant would stay in place. I'll bet it could sag or SOMETHING, right?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #89
    Cher2005
    Veteran
    (female)

Cher2005 HB User

Hey Eagle! I have been looking for you. I had my surgery and have been posting in the cataract surgery thread. Everything seems to be going OK but I am having a lot of trouble reading. My super strong reading glasses aren't helping. My distance vision is better, but the macular edema had seemed to kick in a little with some blotchiness and distortion.
    I think I remember you saying that your close up vision was poor after your cataract surgery. Did it improve as time went along? None of the drugstore glasses seem to help. I am getting a little panicy. I guess I just need to know that things will get better as this thing heals.
    Thanks

Old 11-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #90
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Steady Improvement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cher2005
    I think I remember you saying that your close up vision was poor after your cataract surgery. Did it improve as time went along? None of the drugstore glasses seem to help. I am getting a little panicy. I guess I just need to know that things will get better as this thing heals. Thanks
    Hey, Cher! I've been wondering about you, too. Bet you're getting some improvement already?

Yes, it gets better. Hang in there. Either vision improves quite a bit or you get better adjusted, same end result. Drugstore glasses are best for a while because your vision keeps changing. When I have a glasses test, they prescribe + 4.25, but +4 is way too strong for me, and I was told there's margin for error and to wear what's most comfortable. For distance, driving, I'm actually in between a +1.25 and +1.50, don't know if prescription ones can be in-between strengths, and they can't seem to believe I can't wear +1.75. Don't know if I unconsciously tense up a lot during exams, making prescriptions all wrong for me, blurry and a little painful.

At first with the tried-and-true mono-focal implants, it's an awful shock losing what little near-vision you still had, but you get used to adjusting and appreciate that you can still see at all, plenty of peripheral vision left so you can go to the kitchen w/out glasses to make your morning coffee, even read the back-lighted digital time on some appliances by leaning in a little.

So you had the macular edema. And a steroid injection? Mine was Kennalog, worked wonders for both eyes. The worst eye was still protected from edema a year later. Don't know if it's permanent.

The consent form is very scary, as they all are, and I imagine the one for the Yag procedure will be too. The Retina specialists I'd trust most don't do Yags, supposed to be a minor thing done in the office like the steroid injections.

I've found out the hole they make is about 1 and 1/4 times the size of your pupil. But so far I don't know where the debris goes, and if the hole could later close itself again, and things like that. The edges of the implant are scarred in securely. But in my worst diabetic eye, it's like "dirty", debris which must have to go into the bloodstream when they make the hole, have enough infections of various kinds but suppose lots of people survive it.

I've read worst case scenario's that your implant lens could get damaged, or your retina, and since my surgeon doesn't want to do it right in the office, I'm very very hesitant.

Last edited by Eagle; 11-12-2006 at 03:52 AM.

Closed Thread