It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Torn Retina

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User
    Torn Retina

I have a question on behalf on my friend. Her husband (73 years old) has a torn retina. The doctor was watching him very carefully, but now he has to have laser surgery to repair this problem. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and did the laser surgery help them? Are there any risks to this type of surgery? All the sites that I researched didn't mention anything about risks. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
    itsallgood190
    Inactive
    (male)

itsallgood190 HB User
    Re: Torn Retina

I know who had a failed surgery and now he can't see at the center of his vision. I don't know where he went though... He should be fine, you have to do it anyways.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlmon18
    I have a question on behalf on my friend. Her husband (73 years old) has a torn retina. The doctor was watching him very carefully, but now he has to have laser surgery to repair this problem. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and did the laser surgery help them? Are there any risks to this type of surgery? All the sites that I researched didn't mention anything about risks. Thanks.
    Hi Arlmon18,
    I'm no expert, but have had my right retina detach 4 times, and also a tear with retinal hemmorhage in my left. For a tear, with no detachment of the retina, the laser is a relatively quick procedure that seals around the tear so it can't detach. That's the objective.
    Of course with any surgery, there are risks and complications. Depending on the overall health of your friends husband, he will likely be fine with no further complications. With diabetes there is a greater risk of retinal bleeding within the eye, so that could create a complication. And there is a small chance that the retina will detach or tear again. But overall it is a very effective surgery. Miraculous really compared to 20 yrs ago!
    The laser does create scar tissue so there will be some vision loss at the sight, but if it is in the peripheral field of vision, he will probably never notice this.
    I had the laser surgery for my tear over two years ago and everything is fine. I had it done in the office, walked to the train station, took the train to where my car was parked and drove my car home from there. NOT that I'd recommend driving after that, so please have someone else drive that day! (I just didn't know mine was torn the day I went, and my vision is bad in the left eye anyway, so it didn't interfere with my driving vision.)
    I had the detachments in the right eye 20 years ago. Even with invasive surgery and subsequent cataract operation I still have 20/25 vision, and only have some peripheral vision loss.
    Good luck to your friend. He'll do fine, I'm sure.
    Hellas

Last edited by HELLASRULES; 06-18-2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: needed to add something

Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #4
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

Thanks Hellas. I'm sure my friend will feel much better after I read her your post !! He's having it done at a very reputable hospital.

Closed Thread