It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• One dilated pupil and accompanying tingling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    One dilated pupil and accompanying tingling

Tonight I noticed that my right pupil is dilated and will not contract in the light. I've also developed a tingling/full sort of sensation on the right side of my face from my eye down to my cheekbone. I don't know if this is a vision problem or something worse, but all I know is that I'm shaking right now from being so nervous because I recently read an article about a young boy who had uneven pupil dilation (very severe, which is not my case) caused by a brain problem. I know no one will be in the doctor's office until Tuesday due to the upcominc holiday. Should I go to the emergency room? Any ideas what could potentially cause this?

My family does not have a history of brain problems, but I suppose that doesn't entirely rule out the possibility. I recently took some sort of online test where I choose my symptoms and the site gives me a list of possibilities. The only possibility that came up for me was a stroke, and considering I'm only 19, I find it very very hard to believe that this would be the cause.

I forgot to add this: I have never sustained any head injuries, never had any surgery, am not using and never have used any kind of drugs, and I'm not experiencing any vision problems or other odd symptoms like nausea, weakness in the right side, or dizzyness. The only medication I'm currently taking is Zithromax, which, as far as I know, does not cause eye problems.

Any advice? I'm very frightened right now.

Last edited by Dark Stranger; 12-30-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
    Texanne
    (female)

Texanne HB User
    Re: One dilated pupil and accompanying tingling

You need to go to a minor emergency clinic or somewhere, if not the ER. It may be nothing, but it could be something serious. Can you call your parents? I have a teenage son, and I would want to know if this were happening to him...

Let us know...

Old 12-31-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
    JeanneO
    (female)

JeanneO HB User

I would go to the ER or Urgent Care Facility. Just to be sure, the tingling sensation is what has me concerned.

My husband has Anasacoria (spelling is wrong, I'm sure) and one of his pupils is dilated and the other is not, all the time. They were pretty sure that it wasn't serious but they did do an MRI of his brain to make sure that he didn't have a tumor. He didn't have a tumor, thank God and this isn't a serious problem, sometimes that eye is a little sensitive to light but the Dr. explained that it's just one of those things that happens to people, sort of unexplainable and that it'll either go away on it's own but after about a year if it hasn't gone away it probably never will.

That was 3 years ago and he still has it...we call it his "crazy eye" but you really want to make sure that it isn't something more serious and go see someone sooner rather than later.

Please come back and let us know how it turns out for you.

Take care and Happy New Year!!

JeanneO

Old 12-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

*edit*

I'm thinking perhaps I was overreacting. I looked at my eyes this morning and the pupils were still different sizes. I checked them again about a half hour ago to find that they've gone back to normal and are still responding to light as normal. I'll keep an eye out (no pun intended ) for changes in the pupils until next week, and if it returns, I'll give my doctor a call. Until then, I get to wallow in all kinds of beautiful pain from a sinus infection.

Thank you all for your advice. I will keep you all updated if anything comes up.

Last edited by Dark Stranger; 12-31-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
    kelsey1
    Veteran
    (female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

hi all
    i woke up yesterday with very bad pain in my right eye i put eye drops in my eyes for hour since this happen 2 days before also but this time it didn't go away ,anyways ,i went to the dr and he said i had an abrasion and it looked like some nerve damage but he don't know if it was the abrasion that caused it or if the nerve damge caused the abrasion anyways i go back tuesday. anyways he dialted the right eye atover 30 hours ago and it is still dialted any ideas? kelsey

Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
    squatchimo
    Inactive
    (male)

squatchimo HB User

He probably used a long lasting dilating drop to reduce pain and control a potential anterior chamber reaction.

Closed Thread