It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Corneal Erosions - Advice Needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
    txsongman

txsongman HB User
    Post Corneal Erosions - Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

I am currently suffering with the condition known as recurrent corneal erosions. I've read some stories similiar to mine. No memory of a stratch or abrasion. I just woke up, and felt pain like something was stuck in my eye. I got really worried when I realized that the vision in the eye was completely blurry. I rushed to my family doc, and he said I had pink eye! The pain went away with antibiotics, but the blurry vision stayed. SO I went to an opthomologist. This was in Jan 03. The first line of treatment was using muro 128. I probably had one pain episode per month when I woke up which would last an hour. My main complaint was blurry vision. After 12 weeks of muro treatment, I was happy to see my vision improve almost to 20/25. However, some days would be worse than others. No pain until 3 weeks ago. I had a pain episode, and then another one a week later. The frequency increased to 2 episodes a week. Then every other day. The pain was happening regardless if I used muro or not. I went back to the doc on Monday, and he decided to put this soft contact lens bandage on my eye. He told me that he was hesistant to try micro puncture because the erosion is right on my visual axis which is why I get bad blurry vision. He said the lens might prevent the pain. Unfortunately, it has increased the pain. I took a two hour nap and woke up with bad pain. Ever since the lens, the pain hits whenever I wake up, massive tearing, and drainage. It was so bad on Wednesday that I went back to see him. He told me that the cells were holding in place, and to just tough it out for 2 weeks. Today, the pain is much worse. It's been 3 hours since waking up, my eye is still blood red, but at least I can hold it open. Why would the lens actually be making my condition much worse? I wish I knew what was causing this intense pain. He said if the lens doesn't work, they will do the micropunture. He downplayed the risk of scarring this time, but I am very worried because I read that it is dangerous to do if the erosion is on the visual axis which mine is! I've been miserable with distorted vision for 5 months now. I don't want to risk anything permanent. I'm just at a loss what to do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
    squirrel2349
    (female)

squirrel2349 HB User
    I know what you mean about this frustrating condition (if you haven't already, you can read my posts under "Recurrent Corneal Erosions" on this Board). The contact lens should not be causing more pain - it is possible that it wasn't fitted properly. Even though I have not had one, as my doctor said they can cause infections and she only uses them in very severe cases, I have heard that you don't even feel the lens when it is in. The erosions shouldn't happen with the lens in either as the cornea can't be torn open by the eyelid with the lens in the way. As far as Stromal Puncture goes, I also heard that it can be dangerous, especially if the erosion area is in the center of vision. My doctor suggested the next course of treatment for me would be stromal puncture, but mine is in the center but below the center of vision (although I did have blurred vision for a time after some of the erosion episodes - so maybe it is more than 1 area - that is just the area that showed on the exam). I am especially leary of this procedure and am trying to avoid that route if possible. The longest I have gone during the last 6 months without an episode is 15 days. I had 3 episodes this month although these were not as severe as prior ones - so I am hoping that the pain will continue to lessen until eventually I will be healed without any type of surgical intervention (at least it as been better than every other day like it originally was). As in your case, mine also started without warning with no prior injury. It is amazing how many people are experiencing the same problem - something I never even heard of before I experienced it. Hang in there and think it over well before deciding to go with the puncture - maybe get a 2nd medical opinion. Sorry I can't give you any better advice. Let me know how you make out.

Old 05-01-2003, 05:09 PM   #3
    txsongman

txsongman HB User
    Thanks Squirrel. I did read your article, and I'm also glad that I am not facing this scary journey alone. THe pain finally lessen around 3pm, after trying to take a nap with massive tearing. I can say this has been one of the most painful days of my life. If it is like this tomorrow, I have no choice but to go see him again. Like you said, the lens should be helping, not hurting me more. I just hope the lens isn't making new stratches! The whole thing doesn't make sense cuz I've gone from infrequent erosions to frequent erosions while doing the same treatment. WHy would it be getting worse? I'll keep ya posted.

Closed Thread