It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• double vision or what?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
    sjtoler

sjtoler HB User
    Question double vision or what?

I have been having dizzy spells since dec. 2002. I did not see a doctor and just passed it off as sinus problems. In Feb. my dizziness came back and alot worse, so I went to the ER and was told I have middle ear fluid. Since then I have been diagnosed with panic/anxiety disorder and depression all because of the dizziness. One day I had a panic attack in which I hyperventilated and ever since then I have noticed what appears to be a double vision of objects when I pass by them....ex. when I walk by a door way, out of my peripheral vision I can see what looks like a "ghost" or "glare" of the door just ahead of it but when I look directly at it or any other object it appears normal. It's not trailing the object, the ghosting or double vision is ahead of it and it is constant, from the time I awake till I go to sleep. It seems to be worse when I am really tired. I have been to several doctors mainly for the dizziness but a few weeks ago I told my reg. doctor this problem and he ordered a CT scan with contrast of the brain and sent me to the ophthamologist. The CT scan was normal and the ophthamologist said my eyes were fine, nothing abnormal that he could see. He said I could be having migraines with auras, which I do about once or twice a year, usually without the pain, but this double vision or whatever it is can't be a migraine, it is constant and I told him this so he suggested that I have an MRI. I told my doctor and he ordered the MRI without contrast, well I had that yesterday and go for the results May 5th. Any idea what could be causing this? I am a healthy 26 year old wife and mother of two. The only other problems that I have had recently besides the dizzy spells and panic attacks was my potassium level dropped to 2.1 because of a virus that I had for several days and my LDL was high (my doctor said) at 135, but other than that everything else has been good. I am on medication for panic/anxiety but this eye problem started way before I was put on any medicine. Any information will help alot....thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
    sjtoler

sjtoler HB User
    Anyone's opinion would help!!??

Old 05-02-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
    DonnaDe
    Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
    I would love to help if I could. Have you looked up any info on double vision? In case you haven't, I'll copy and past some here.

"Double vision can have many different causes, but it is important to distinguish between double vision seen with one eye alone, as opposed to that seen with both eyes at the same time. In other words, if the double vision disappears when one or the other eye is closed, it is due to a misalignment between the two eyes. When the double vision is present even with one eye closed, it may be due to optical problems with the eye, or refractive problems. This can come from improper glasses prescriptions, cataract, or corneal scars.

Thyroid dysfunction can affect the tissues around the eye and in the orbit in a condition called "thyroid related orbitopathy". Usually this is associated with hyperthyroidism (over-acting thyroid) as in "Grave's disease", although it can occur in a normal or even under-acting thyroid. It is felt to be an auto-immune problem where the immune system attacks the tissues around the eye, and possibly also the thyroid gland. This leads to a variety of eye symptoms.
    Swelling of the eyelids and tissues around the eyes.
    Eyelid "retraction", or excessive opening. This leads to a wide-open eye staring appearance. The white of the eye is often visible above and below the iris.
    Eye protrusion, where swelling of the tissues in the orbit behind the eye literally push the eye outward.
    Corneal drying and breakdown can occur from exposure of the cornea due to the eye protrusion and eyelid opening.

Double vision can occur due to swelling and dysfunction of the eye muscles. Especially involved are the muscle the turn the eye downward. Thus, the eye becomes tethered and has difficulty looking upward, especially when turned out also. Double vision due to misalignment of the eyes occurs in certain positions of gaze, and it usually is a vertical double vision. It may be highly variable.
    Compression of the optic nerve in the orbit due to the swelling of the eye muscles can lead to visual loss, blind spots in the vision, loss of color vision, and swelling of the optic nerve. This can be an ophthalmic emergency and may take high dose steroids or surgery to reverse.

Thyroid related eye problems tend to come and go, and the eyes may remain unaffected for long periods of time between attacks. Supportive treatment during symptomatic periods such as eye lubrication and steroids to reduce swelling may help.

An uncorrected glass prescription, especially if nearsighted or with astigmatism, can lead to ghost images or slight double vision. Unlike double vision caused by misalignment of the eyes, this type of double vision remains if one eye is closed. It is often worse at night when the pupil dilates some.
    Irregular astigmatism, or an uneven curvature of the cornea, can lead to ghost images which may only be treatable using a contact lens.

Certain types of cataract can lead to double vision due to distortion of images passing through the lens of the eye, and from glare. Intraocular lens implants can cause double vision if they slip out of position (rare), and the edge of the lense comes close to the pupil center. Some people after glaucoma or cataract surgery have an iridectomy done at the time of surgery. This is a hole cut into the iris usually hidden by the upper eyelid. In some with an iridectomy, double vision may occur with light passing through this opening."

Old 05-02-2003, 07:09 PM   #4
    sjtoler

sjtoler HB User
    Thank you so much for your reply and the info was very helpful. It sounds like what I am seeing could be due to astigmatism but the ophthamologist never mentioned it so I figured I didn't have that. It is alot worse in the dark and when I am tired. I also think the panic attack medication is making it worse. But I do have another question.... Can the ophthamologist see if there is some kind of optic swelling? I do remember him telling the nurse who was taking notes, "Optic nerve looks great, no swelling or signs of pressure". Also I have sort of calmed myself down about having a brain tumor or something like that since the CT scan was normal, I suppose the MRI will tell more, I'll find out Monday. I have also tried covering one eye to see if the glare went away, it wasn't as bright as it is with both eyes open but I can still see it some, but it's more out of my left eye than my right. I got Rx glasses a few years ago because my left eye was weaker or worse than the right but I don't wear them, stupid me! My Mom, Dad, and my 18 year old sister have astigmatism so maybe the doc. didn't check for that?? Anyway, thanks again for your reply!

Old 05-02-2003, 07:18 PM   #5
    DonnaDe
    Veteran

DonnaDe HB User
    Glad I could help a little If you think your double vision might be due to astigmatism, why not go to yahoo and do a search on "double vision astigmatism"? You'll find sites that explain it more fully. And maybe wear your glasses? :::wagging my finger at you for not wearing them::: What if uncorrected astigmatism is the source of your problem and you're making yourself crazy with all the tests?

As for your optic nerve question, I would think the doctor could at least see part of it. I'll let someone else with more knowledge weigh in on that one though.

Let us know how you make out!

Best wishes,
    Donna

Old 05-02-2003, 08:59 PM   #6
    sjtoler

sjtoler HB User
    Thanks! I'm taking my kids to a regular eye doctor Tuesday so I am going to ask her about my symtoms, just to get her opinion since she is the one that diagnosed my parents and sister. I've probably had this for a while but never noticed it, like now, if I would let it go and not look for it, I wouldn't see it. I think I'll wipe the dust off of my glasses as well.

Closed Thread