It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• what is right and wrong during my eye exam?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
    Mike57
    (male)

Mike57 HB User
    what is right and wrong during my eye exam?

Hi,

I had my eyes examined yesterday for new glasses. During the examination, when the optometrist examined my eyes on the machine telling me which is clearer or better or is it the same?, I told the optimetrist to go back to the last one so I can make up my mind. The optometrist then told me I cannot do that. The optometrist told me I should be able to tell right away whether one is clearer or better or the same, otherwise my mind can play tricks on me. I should be able to judge at first sight, said my optometrist. I told my Sister about this examination and she disagreed with my optometrist. My Sister told me I should be able to tell my optometrist to go back again and decide which is clearer, or better or the same, as my Sister reminded me I want to be sure my prescription is very accurate. So who is right? My optometrist or my Sister? Of all of the eye examinations I had during my whole lifetime, I had never ever heard of this kind of examination. Had you experienced this yourself?

Mike

Last edited by Mike57; 08-02-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User
    Re: what is right and wrong during my eye exam?

Mike, was the optometrist manually changing the lenses or was it somehow automated? I've always had the manual lens switching, where the optometrist says, this or this?, this one or this one? Often I say go back I'm not sure. Sometimes the choices seem equally clear but the letters are taller or shorter or darker or lighter and it's hard to tell which is better.
    So, I agree with your sister.

Last edited by KeelaC; 08-04-2007 at 09:00 AM.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
    unfortunate
    (female)

unfortunate HB User

I definitely agree with your sister.
    My optometrist just flips back and forth between the ones she wants me to pick from until I choose the one that looks the best.

Perhaps you just got a rude optometrist? :/

Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
    Mike57
    (male)

Mike57 HB User

I am not so sure now as I talked with my friend regarding this back and forth issue switching lens and letting one decide which is the best focus or the same. My friend never had this happened to him, as he stated he always been to an optimistrist who let my friend decide which is the better, clearer, worse, or the same. My friend and myself kind of reached an agreement, if you focus too hard which is better, clearer or the same, can perhaps put an eye strain and can possibly cause the exam to not be accurate. Try focusing too hard on the letter, and you may neglect focusing whether the focus is blurry or clear. The letter may become clearer, taller, or smaller, blurring and becoming clearer back on forth on the same len examination, when focusing too hard and could result in false or inaccurate data , and can be a tricky examination. Anyone get my point?

Mike

Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
    squatchimo
    Inactive
    (male)

squatchimo HB User

Hmm. Depends on what actually happened. If you were given the choice between 1 and 2 and wanted to see 1 again, then you should get to see it. But if you were given a choice between, say, 3 and 4 and said "I liked 2 better" or "I want to see 2 again", then your optometrist is right. That happens a lot. Some people don't understand they can only choose between the two current options and they can't go back to one of the previous ones.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I've worn glasses for 43 years, and have seen countless optometrists, having moved around a bit. Never have I had one tell me that I could not go back and look at the other choice. Frequently the optometrist will offer to show me the previous one when I don't readily say anything because I'm not sure.
    Maybe there is some new theory that you should not look at a choice more than once. I could see why that would possibly be better. And I haven't had an exam in more than 8 months.
    However, frequently when I ask them to go back, it's because my mind wandered for a moment and I wasn't paying attention. I would hope your optometrist would know enough not to use that technique on someone that had an attention deficit disorder.

Last edited by seriousperson; 08-04-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
    PrincessBing
    (female)

PrincessBing HB User
    Lightbulb Re: what is right and wrong during my eye exam?

I have to agree with your optometrist. Consider this:

Your optometrist needs to perform this refraction in order to get the proper spectacle or contact lens prescription. Ideally, you will end up with glasses that you can put on and immdiately see clearly and crisply. You dont' put glasses on and then wait for your mind to decide if you can see clearly...they should just work when the are worn. You do need to go with your first reaction rather than pondering the choices because if you spend to much time with it your eyes can start to over compensate during the struggle resulting in an refraction that generates a prescription that work for your eyes...but only after you've hemmed and hawwed trying to decide which is better. Hope that explaination is somewhat coherant.

Closed Thread