It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Dry Eye & Cataract surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
    tinak
    (female)

tinak HB User
    Dry Eye & Cataract surgery

Does anyone have severe dry eyes and has had cataract surgery? I am 56 years old and have severe dry eyes from Sjogrens. Recently, I had cataract surgery on my "bad eye" the one that gives me the most problem with pain from dryness. It's been 10 days since surgery, and in my surgery eye, I can see a fluid motion in the right periphial vision, almost like a contact lense going up and down.
    Also, during surgery, the iris kept protruding. Has anyone with dry eyes had cataract surgery? If so, did you have any of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
    JeanZb
    (female)

JeanZb HB User
    Re: Dry Eye & Cataract surgery

Yes, I had my first cataract surgery on 9/24. No problem. On 10/22 I had the second surgery. Whoaa....... Three days later I ended up in the hospital for several days. I had terrible eyelid and cheekbone area swelling and bad headaches. I was on IV antiobiotics for what they thought at the time was pre-septal cellulitis, but, rather, I believe it was a bad reaction to the eye block injection. I am 60-year-old female in good health and no known allergies until this fiasco. Yes, I do have extremely dry eyes, though, which probably contributed to the problem. Three weeks later the eyelid droopiness has 80 percent resolved, but the headaches are constant. I just hope that with the passage of time I am glad that I had this surgery done, but right now I wish I could turn back the clock.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
    Jena50
    (female)

Jena50 HB User

I do have dry eye conditions and use a eye wash called Igene and that helps and have a catract on the right eye and wear glasses to boot . I am so sorry that you are having all these problems . Have you talked with the doctor about this are going to see someone else for anothe opinion ??

Old 11-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I have dry eye and had cataract surgery. I use Refresh Plus eye drops. The doctor said it was fine to use them after the surgery, even while I was using the prescription drops, so long as I didn't use them immediately before or after the prescription drops. My dry eye seemed worse in the 6 months or so after the surgery. Now (2+ years later) it's at least no worse than before the surgery.

JeanZb, I had regrets after my surgery too. I know how that feels. It's better now for me. I've learned to not let myself focus (pun intended) on the negative aspects of the surgery, but instead think about the positive. But too often I still reverse that thinking.

Closed Thread