It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Question about Bandage Lens for RCE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
    pengworm79
    (female)

pengworm79 HB User
    Question about Bandage Lens for RCE

Hello it's me again with another question for you helpful people. I went for my checkup Friday. After discussing with the "not so nice" doctor that I was going to be out of town wed-fri of next week he decided to just have me keep wearing the lens that I have had on since last Thursday.

He did tell me to start using the antibiotic drops that the other doctor had told me to use all along. He said this is longer than he'd usually leave a bcl in so we wanted to be careful of infection.

So if I make it till then I will have worn this same lens for a total of 18 days. I'm wondering if that's normal and if it's okay? I've been okay so far other than today I just can't seem to get rid of the feeling that something's in my eye. Not the horrid stabbing pain feeling of something in your eye you get with an erosion. Just this annoying feeling that something's there. The nice doctor had told me something about minerals or something building up around the edges of the lens and that irritating my eye, so I'm wondering if maybe that's it?

I'm just wondering if that feeling will go away or not. Like I said it's not painful but it isn't pleasant either. I'm wondering if it keeps doing that if I should call the doctor or not. I'm just afraid the mean doctor won't do anything anyway

So do you guys think it's alright to have this lens in for 18 days?

Lastly a question about the muro 128 ointment at bedtime. Is it important once I put the ointment in to make sure to keep that eye closed? I've been trying to do that but I wasn't sure if it made any difference or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User
    Re: Question about Bandage Lens for RCE

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pengworm79 View Post
    He did tell me to start using the antibiotic drops that the other doctor had told me to use all along. He said this is longer than he'd usually leave a bcl in so we wanted to be careful of infection..
    Your doctor is correct - BCL increses chance of infection but usually that is right after an erosion and not so much weeks later when it has healed over.

Quote:
    So if I make it till then I will have worn this same lens for a total of 18 days. I'm wondering if that's normal and if it's okay?
    Years back in 2004 when I had my last major erosion, my doc said to me really no more than 2 weeks.

Quote:
    The nice doctor had told me something about minerals or something building up around the edges of the lens and that irritating my eye, so I'm wondering if maybe that's it?
    Doc is correct -minerals do build up. It's probably at a point where it would be more healthy to remove the lens.

I'm still a believer in the lens for pain after an erosion (along with an antibiotic drop of course to prevent infection). But, I'm not a believer in the lens as a crutch to prevent erosions. As I've said before, I prefer an artificial tear right upon awakening before moving my eyelids. But, others may feel different. At the least, I'm a strong believer in intervention "right before the erosion" is about to happen.

Quote:
    Lastly a question about the muro 128 ointment at bedtime. Is it important once I put the ointment in to make sure to keep that eye closed? I've been trying to do that but I wasn't sure if it made any difference or not.
    I used to do that also. I think it can be VERY helpful to warm it under warm/hot water as it tends to go in the eye a lot easier. I would then close my eyes and look up, down, left and right. My doc says it doesn't make a difference because it all gets distributed evenly anyways but I did it anyways. I don't use any of that stuff anymore but I know it has worked for some to cure the condition.

Mike

[/QUOTE]

Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
    pengworm79
    (female)

pengworm79 HB User

Well I gave in and went to doctor today who decided to take the lens out. My eye still felt grainy for awhile but then seemed okay. I'm supposed to do the muro 128 drops four times a day,theratears as needed, and the muro ointment at bedtime. First of all my gosh do those muro drops sting, wow!

I actually "went to bed" two hours ago. I woke up for a minute though and was so scared about having an erosion. So I tried the trick with putting the theratears in with my eye closed. I have to say I don't know if I was doing it wrong or what but I ended up with more on my face than in my eye The good news though is that I got my eye open without an erosion!

Needless to say I am terrified to actually go to sleep. I'm just dreading opening that eye in the morning. The doc said if I wake in the night to add the ointment again so I'll definately be doing that.

He also said today that if it happens again we might look at doing the laser thing. I guess that made me think I didn't have much chance of it not happening again. We'll see.

Mike thanks a million for all your help it really is priceless.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

While laying on your back, try to gently insert the tip of the bottle in your eye (by your nose) so that the tip very gently touches the corner white part of your eye by your nose then SQUEEZE the bottle and the tears will go in your eyes. Wait 20 seconds or so and you should feel them. You should feel them. At first, more is always better so if they run down the side of your face its fine as long as they are going in your eyes and you avoid the erosion.

After 20 -30 seconds very gently open your eyes. You will really start to get in tune with your eyes as you gently open them and master the technique. Sometimes you may even be able to move your eyes so slowly as a test that you can literally feel them cemented shut until you put the drops in (not that you should "test" before putting drops in but as you become really good at the technique you may start to get curious. But it's good advice to never "force" your eyes open without putting drops in first. Keep at it.

PengWorm - when I had my most severe erosion that lasted 10 days and the doc said to me "now, you know this is going to happen again" I almost fell of the chair in despair. The morning after he took the lens out I was terrified and awakened with my eyes closed knowing what awaited me. I could feel my eyes stuck. So I lay there awake on my back for 15 minutes not know what to do. Then I got the idea to put artificial tears in my eyes BEFORE opening them. Yes, ointment at night may help by my thoughts today are "nip it in the bud" right before the erosion is about to happen. Oh - and the doc who was a very empathic doctor was wrong - that was my last serious erosion and I really haven't had one since but I still have RCES and I just add the tears. Dwelle drops (kind of new) may be helping after 3.5 years of avoding erasions but time will tell.

When I think back to that last serious erosion July 2005, it's just a horrible thing to have RCES and imagine all those alone who do not have the support and understanding we all have here.

One last thing - Think about it, it's almost impossible to get an erosion if you don't move your eyelids when you awaken. It's movement of the eyelids that almost always if not always causes the erosions. So, in the interim period while searching for a cure, I say add those artificial tears before moving your eyelids so they don't rip your cornea to shreds when you awaken.

Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 01-21-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
    judy7
    (female)

judy7 HB User

Mike,

I was wondering what kind of drops do you use upon awakening? I have been doing your technique when I wake up with the eye closed shut, I use genteal moderate drops, it works to open the eye but I feel my eyes are drier the more I use these. Maybe your drops would work better? Also, I know you said you avoided erosions with this technique but I seem to get them while my eye is shut, I have read the R.E.M. movement of the eye while you are dreaming can do this. I usually have gotten my erosions Before I even open my eye!! I wanted to know what you thought about that? I have learned to keep it shut, and just open the other one that is still erosion free. The shut one is so dry it wouldn't open very easy unless I use drops. I also, think I might try the dwelle drops, and maybe goggles, since my homeopathy is helping alittle, but not completely. My heart goes out to Pengworm I can really empathize when she said "I am afraid to go to sleep", I think we all felt this way at one time. Anyway Hope everyone is finding relief and help in their own way, and wishing healing for all. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
    gentealgel
    (female)

gentealgel HB User

Pengworm,

I was offered the BCL when I had really bad erosions, and I decided against it, because, like Mike said, people with the lens are prone to infection. I'm glad that it came off and that you did not get an infection!

Judy7,

I have that same problem you have with REM. However, it happened for me for about four months off and on but gradually went away. I'd recommend the dwelle drops. It takes some time, but if people have ebmd, it sure is worth using them. The goggles really have helped me, too, but I think it's because I need help to keep my eye closed.

(Also, I got your message in the other thread, and, thanks.)

Old 01-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
    judy7
    (female)

judy7 HB User
    Smile Re: Question about Bandage Lens for RCE

Hello Genteal,

thanks for your tips. I was reading that the Dakrina drops are Dwelle with vitamin A and were great for people with RCE. Have you ever used those drops. i am going to order one or the other. Hope you are doing great. Judy

Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
    gentealgel
    (female)

gentealgel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by judy7 View Post
    Hello Genteal,

thanks for your tips. I was reading that the Dakrina drops are Dwelle with vitamin A and were great for people with RCE. Have you ever used those drops. i am going to order one or the other. Hope you are doing great. Judy
    Hi, Judy.

I use Dwelle every day now. It is perfect for nighttime (I put it in about a half an hour before bedtime and use Genteal Gel right before I go to sleep) and for when my eyes feel weird during the day. I believe that it has helped me a lot-- especially with those erosions that were waking me up after being asleep for two hours.

If you have not yet tried Dwelle or Dakrina (which is Dwelle with vitamin A added to it), it does take a little time to notice an improvement. I'd give it about two weeks to know for sure if it is helping or not.

I am doing well, though I am taking it a day at a time, as it goes with this condition. You sound like you are doing well, too, and I hope that your homeopathic approach is still going strong. I think it is wise to try natural and conservative things first, if possible. I certainly do not want to have surgery on my eyes at this point.

Take care!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Quote:
    Mike,
    I was wondering what kind of drops do you use upon awakening?.
    I've used Refresh drops for years now. I've tried a few others but I kind of like the way regular Refresh drops work for me (not the Refresh gel but just the normal drops).

Quote:
    Mike,
    Also, I know you said you avoided erosions with this technique but I seem to get them while my eye is shut, I have read the R.E.M. movement of the eye while you are dreaming can do this..
    According to my doctor this is not very likely to happen. Rather, it's more likely that you may be moving in your sleep causing the eyelid to rub against something. In other words, the force of the eyelid rubbing against the eye is a lot stronger then gentle eye movement which most likely just causes the eyelid to "move with" the eye. I believe movement of the "eyelid" is far more likely to cause erosions than movement of the "eye" itself.

But, if the epithelium is already severly eroded away then it may be possible than almost anything is going to cause your eye to feel pain even blinking during the day. I personally have found (many years back) that during the day when my eyes feel irritated or just kind of "scratchy" then warming Muro 128 ointment and applying it during the day has always been a benefit for me. Nowadays, I'm just experimenting with Dwelle drops but if I ever get that scratchy feeling I would probably warm the Muro and if that feeling were a bad scratchy feeling I would most likely also just lay down on my back, eye closed and relaxed for about 20 minutes. This allows the epithelial cells to "fill in the gap."

You have to think of your epithelium as having a certain "thickness" and when you have an erosion, the surrounding cells "fill in the gap" thus causing the epithelium to now be thinner than before the erosion. This leads to greater sensitivity and makes one more prone to having more erosions due to the thin and painful epithelium. So, it's important to "be on your guard" every morning, apply drops before moving the eye so that the epithelial cells can regenerate and create a thicker epithelium which can take months but the process slowly reverses thus making it far less likely to have erosions due to the REM or the eyelid pressing against something in your sleep.

Quote:
    I usually have gotten my erosions Before I even open my eye!! I wanted to know what you thought about that? .
    Right - as per my above explanation, it's because you have had some bad erosions and each time your epithelium gets thinnner and basically "erodes away" faster than your body can "build it back." So, you have to be on your guard each morning and put in plenty of drops and SLOWLY open your eyes allowing the process to reverse so that your epithelium will be thicker again. Also, I would consider Dwelle drops during the day.

Quote:
    I have learned to keep it shut, and just open the other one that is still erosion free. The shut one is so dry it wouldn't open very easy unless I use drops. .
    Yes - isn't that wonderful? When your eye feels cemented shut like that, you almost can't make the mistake of moving your eyelid before applying drops. But, if you don't know the technique and you force your eyelids open then you just get this massive erosion; know what I mean?

Personally, I think you should consider trying to keep both eyes gently shut and just apply the drops to whatever eye needs it and then gently open them. In other words, learn to apply the drops in pitch darkness. If you awaken in the middle of the night, you just grab the drops from the nightstand, apply as needed, no lights, and just go back to sleep.

I think when you start to use the technique and get really good at it sometimes I get careless and lazy about it and I can really get away with a lot (because my epithelium has thickened). But, I know the difference between when my eye really feels stuck in the morning and I know not to "force it open" versus when it feels more OK in the morning. But, when you are starting out, you want as few cells as possible "sloughing off" so it's very important to add drops and be very cautious. Also, make sure the tip of the bottle touches the scalera (white) of the eye by the nose while laying on your back. The drops go in a lot faster and lubricate the eye and you can feel them become "unstuck" in 10-20 seconds.

All the best,
    Mike

Closed Thread