It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Does it always mean Glaucoma?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User
    Question Does it always mean Glaucoma?

Eye doctor found pressure in both my eyes and has written me a referral to an Ophthalmologist. Does pressure always indicate Glaucoma or just sometimes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
    snowfall
    (female)

snowfall HB User
    Re: Does it always mean Glaucoma?

Hi....

I was also dx'ed with elevated eye pressure. From what I have learned about it is NO...having elevated eye pressure does not mean you will get glaucoma. All it means is it increases your 'risk' of getting it. You can have elevated eye pressure and never get glaucoma.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

That puts my mind somewhat at ease. Thank you.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
    Boozjee
    (female)

Boozjee HB User

The first doctor was in private practice in L.A.. She found elevated pressure in my left eye and made it sound like blindness was inevitable. I practically broke down when I got home. I didn't have insurance at the time.

The most recent was the eye doctor at our local Walmart in Texas where I live now. She's the one who gave me the referral. She said that it didn't necessarily mean glaucoma but that I needed to get it checked. Now I have insurance so I'll go get it checked out.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
    happydwarf78
    (female)

happydwarf78 HB User

That's a sticky question.

medicinenet.com defines glaucoma as: Glaucoma: A common eye condition in which the fluid pressure inside the eyes rises because of slowed fluid drainage from the eye. If untreated, it may damage the optic nerve and other parts of the eye, causing the loss of vision or even blindness.

the pressure itself, if its pressure resulting from a build up of fluid, lends itself to a glaucoma diagnosis. However, having high pressure does not mean that you are doomed to suffer damage from it. Its a very misunderstood disease.

That said, I was diagnosed with glaucoma when I was 18. I've taken more eye drops than I can count before, at the age of 26, a doctor finally did a pachymetry test on me. A pachymetry test measures your corneal thickness, which drastically effects pressure readings, and it turned out that i have really thick corneas. Not high pressure.

Either way, glaucoma is not a blindness sentence. It doesn't even mean you'll ever need any kind of surgery. You may be able to get by with eye drops and regular doctor visits.

Closed Thread