It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Adult Eye Muscle Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
    mjmj57inKY
    (female)

mjmj57inKY HB User
    Question Adult Eye Muscle Surgery

I have had strabismus (crossed eyes) since early childhood. I had 5 surgeries on my eyes from age 1.5-13. My left eye is straight, but slightly near sighted. My right eye goes out to the right-I do not "use" both of my eyes together. I was told since the age of 13 that any more surgery to correct my wandering right eye would be cosmetic and not covered by insurance. Well, I am now 51 yrs. old and will be having corrective surgery in July. Several new drs. I have seen asked me about my eyes and did I know that my right eye could be straightened. I finally went to a recommended opthmalogist and decided to go ahead and schedule surgery. Are there any other adults here who have had this surgery as an adult? I am curious about how things have gone. Thanks. MJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
    Colipsokitty
    (female)

Colipsokitty HB User
    Re: Adult Eye Muscle Surgery

I had the same type of surgery when I was young but had the surgery only twice on both eyes.. my right eye is the one that needs to have another surgery done.. but I am terrified as an adult to really worry about it now.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
    261stu
    (male)

261stu HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Adult Eye Muscle Surgery

mjmj57inKY - Has your insurance agreed that it is medically necessary or are you going it alone?

I have an alternating Exotropia where my right eye centers and the left one sits to the side, then on command the left eye centers and the right eye goes to the side. A few years the turn out was barely noticable, but now one eye constantly sits at the side so it is very obvious.

I'm hoping to start looking into options to fix it later on this year assuming that insurance will consider it medically necessary

Last edited by 261stu; 06-09-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
    mjmj57inKY
    (female)

mjmj57inKY HB User

Insurance will cover it. My doctor said that years ago (we're talking 25+) insurance would not cover a surgery of this type-it would be considered cosmetic. Because my eyes do not work together -she says I have a type of double vision-the surgery will align the eyes with hopes of improving the double vision.(I don't actually see double it is the way the eyes work or in my case don't work together) Will I actually have improvement with my vision?She doesn't know-it might happen, but if she is unable to straighten it or if my vision does not improve- I've lost nothing-right now I don't use that eye. So, surgery is a gamble, but will be covered by insurance and might improve my vision. MJ

Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
    leah131
    (female)

leah131 HB User

Hello all:
    Now I am 28 years old. When I was 2 I had eye surgery for cross eyes and had it again at the age of 21. Tomorrow I am going to the eye doctor for my eyes because I have cross eye again and my right eyes is lazy eye also and sometimes I see double. Wonder what they will do. Take care Write Back Soon
    Leah

Closed Thread