It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

So afraid to go to the eye doctor! Help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
mattm4001
(male)

mattm4001 HB User
So afraid to go to the eye doctor! Help!

ok,heres my story...I am a 29 year old male, I know I need to go to the eye doctor but I am so sick to my stomach afraid even thinking about it because I just think that I have so many things wrong with my eyes and I am so afraid that I might be going blind. I have been trying to call and make an appointment but I just cant do it because I am so worried.

First off, I have never had a check-up from a medical eye doctor. I do wear glasses for distance so I was examined by an optomotrest about five years ago but I only went to one of those places that are in shopping malls to get my glasses and the people who examine your eyes in those stores are mainly just about getting fitted for glasses and they are not true medical doctors like an opthamologist would be.

Now,heres why I am so afraid..I have so many things wrong...First I am severly myopic, I am literally as blind as a bat without my glasses, I wear them constanly. I also have a ton of floaters in both of my eyes, almost my entire life, I have had them about 20 years now, and I never even mentioned them to the doctor when I last got my glasses. For about the past four years I have this kind of foggy vision, more of like a problem with glares, my vision is not blurry, more like when a light shines in my direction, like when the sun reflects off of a car, it looks kind of hazy. What really worries me is that when I have looked up that symptom online it sounds like cataracts but since I was around 25 when it started, that would seem kind of young for cataracts so I dont know, and lastly when I wake up in the morning I have this stringy type of mucous in my eyes which I know would seem to suggest either allergies or dry eyes but I dont have the redness, itchiness or burning that tends to go along with dry eyes.

I also have a grandmother who has a horrible history of eye problems and I am so afraid I might have inherited it all from her, she suffers from macular degeneration and she is legally blind, shes 79 years old. She does have some vision left, shes not totally blind but pretty close.

What would I do if I was to go to the eye doctor and he was to tell me that I was going blind? at 29?! that would change my entire life and thats why I am so afraid.

I also have an anxiety/depression issue that I have been dealing with the past few years but I'm not sure what effect that could be having on my eyes if any at all.

Can anyone calm me down??

Last edited by mattm4001; 10-01-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
AuntieLeela
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: So afraid to go to the eye doctor! Help!

You're not going blind.

I think some of the sight trouble you've been having maybe due to your old prescription glasses - a bad (visual) fit. Go to the eye doctor, it'll make you feel better to get it over with and update your Rx glasses so you can see better and maybe some drops for your dry eyes. Dry eyes can have few symptoms, some atypical symptoms (that I had) are glare or halos, occasional haziness or "fog", poor dawn/dusk vision, photophobia, vision that blurs the harder you try to focus. I seldom had any pain or gritty sensation.

Age related macular degeneration (AMD) is rare under 60 yo. [url]http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts.asp[/url]

Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
mattm4001
(male)

mattm4001 HB User

Thanks AuntieLeela,

I actually do have all the symptoms that you described so maybe it is dry eye although I didnt think it was because my eyes dont feel dry and they never seem to be irritated, but it does make me feel a little better so thank you.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Hello Matt. What Auntie Lee said is correct about dry eye. However, your symptoms could easily be due to something else. A minor infection could cause the mucous. The rest of the symptoms are typical of severe myopia. We've had lots of posts here from myopes complaining of floaters, halos around lights, or starbursts, hazy vision. A search using "myopia" and "halos around lights" might turn up other posts. Either way--dry eye and/or myopia, you're not going blind.

It's definitely time for a check-up and possibly a new prescription.

BTW, a mall optometrist graduated from a school of optometry same as the one with a fancier office. I used to be examined by the optometry students at a university eye clinic. Their post-grad training takes years.

Hope these posts make you feel better so you can make an appointment. If you're still nervous, get someone else to call for you.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
mattm4001
(male)

mattm4001 HB User

Hi, Thank you all for your responses.

I finally called today and have an opthamologist appointment for this Thursday at 4:15pm. I will be back to update and tell you all what he said.

Thanks
Matt

Closed Thread