It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• So many kinds of eye drops, what to choose?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User
    So many kinds of eye drops, what to choose?

Hi I recently was diagnosed with dry eyes, I was given refresh plus as a freebie at the office. I do know that preservative free is best and I do have that with refresh plus. The refresh plus makes my eyes feel a smidget heavy, I am not sure I understand that statement myself. My niece mentioned natural tears, I am getting alot of different suggestions and I just do not know the dynamics of it all. This is all very new to me and just getting use to putting the drops in my eyes was very monumentous. I tried scrubbing my eyelids with baby shampoo with equal parts of water and it made my eyes feel uncomfortable even though I rinsed very well. I know there are some basic things I should do or not do at this point, I would be so grateful if you could fill in the missing pieces to this eye drop puzzle. Please bear with me on this I want to learn from all of you who have been doing this for awhile and know through experience all the info that is required to make some good choices here. Blessings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
    Dancinboots
    Veteran
    (female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
    Re: So many kinds of eye drops, what to choose?

My doctor recommends systane for dry eyes. They also have preservative free. Just do a search for systane to read about the product. You can use it as often as needed.

Sharon

Old 11-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

For severe dry eyes Restasis is sometimes prescribed.

I use Restasis morning and night and during the day use Systane. At bedtime I use Refresh Celluvisc and Refresh PM ointment.

Systane lasts longer than the other eyedrops, 3-4 hours or longer. Best not to go too long before using drops again. Doctor told me when I feel eyes are dry I have waited too long to use drops. Suppose to use them before you get that feeling.

While using the computer I use Refresh Plus frequently, can see good instead of having to wait for the blur to subside from other eyedrops.

It helps to keep a cool mist vaporizer going during the day and in bedroom at night. Eyes will not dry out as fast.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you dancinboots and Misty, Thank you, appreciate all of your information, I am starved for any little bit of information that can help make this new diagnosis of dry eyes more bearable. The cool mist humidifier I am using in the main part of the house, I have been using a warm mist humidifier in my bedroom at night. Do you believe a cool mist is better then a warm mist at night. The warm compresses are so soothing to my eyes I thought maybe using a warm mist humidifier at night would be o.k. that warmth was better I really would love to have your imput on it, because I truly do not know. It really has helped me to turn down the glare on my computer, you are so right misty about refresh plus and using the computer. Please know I do not take your kindness for granted. If you think of anything else please do not hesitate to let me know. Blessings!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User
    Question Re: So many kinds of eye drops, what to choose?

Just one more question please. Is it necessary to always put your finger in the corner of your eye towards your nose to prevent the eye drops from leaving your eye to soon via of your tear ducts? I know there is a reason for it when you are using antibiotis and steroids, so they do not enter your system. Thank you! Blessings!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
    jill30
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jill30 HB User

I use Systane and it works well. I bend my head down while my eyes are closed for 1 minute and then open.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Wildflower, cool or warm mist vaporizer will work, both put moisture in the air. The moisture in the air will help keep eyes from drying out so bad during the night. Many of us do not keep our eyelids shut completely while asleep.

I changed to a cool mist vaporizer to prevent windows from fogging up so bad and water drips causing mold on widow frames.

Do you have an eye infection caused Blepharitis? If so, please do the hot soaks and Johnson Baby Shampoo eyelid scrubs faithfully. Other brands of shampoo irritate my eyes. I battled Blepharitis for about 2 years.

Here is a tip that might help. Usually when wiping eyes with a tissue we just wipe across the eye area with pressure near the edge of lashes. This pushes eyedrops out of the eye. Try pressing against the bone structure just below the eye when wiping eyes.

Last edited by Misty800; 11-30-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #8
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Wonderful information Misty and Jill, Misty I do not have blepharitis, my doc just said I had dry eyes, gave me refresh plus, and told me to use baby shampoo for cleaning eyelids. He mentioned it makes a difference to get the oil stimulated in my eyes, a vital process in helping dry eyes. I will try baby shampoo again, it was burning my eyes, I am doing something wrong.. The cosmetic pads are great misty, I use them also to lay on my eyes in stead of the washcloths and it keeps my eyes so warm and soothing. I bought myself another cool mist humidifier for the bedroom, at the very least I can alternate if one should prove to be a smidget better for me under different circumstances. Thank you for letting me know either one is o.k. The wiping my eyes with tissue was a very crucial tip, that is so important, you put the drops into your eyes, then wipe them all out, you truly have a wealth of knowledge and tips, so grateful for all the good info. Thank you for sharing, it's a gift for me personally. Blessings

Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Wildflowers, I asked my opthalmologist about the need to press your tear duct to avoid eye drops being absorbed and she said it is only necessary for systemic drops such as cortisone or antibiotic types.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you so much Brian, that is such good news, the corner of my eyes were getting so sore from me pressing against the tear ducts, even when I pressed ever so gently it still was starting to get red. grateful to you!!!!! Blessings!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
    Evie4
    Veteran
    (female)

Evie4 HB User

I find Refresh are good for immediate relief, but Genteal Gel Severe lasts longer. The Gel will blur your vision initially, but I'm used to that. I just do one eye at a time (let it clear before doing the other). I had RCE and PTK to fix it...ever since then, my eye gets really dry when I am sleeping and I have to use something to protect the surface of my cornea.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
    linda417
    (female)

linda417 HB User

I've been using Systane Ultra, as well as Genteal Gel drops. I find these drops very soothing. Warm compresses twice a day also helps moisturize the eyes. I do this for about 2 minutes per eye. I was told I can use the drops as many times as needed. Now I'm wondering if there are any preservatives in them. I even phoned the pharmacist who said this was fine.

Closed Thread