It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• PTK and Corneal Erosion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #121
    ebmd
    (male)

ebmd HB User
    Re: PTK and Corneal Erosion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freidi34 View Post
    Hi Ebmd,

I have the plug in and my dry eye is much better. I do not need to put artificial tears anymore like I used to so many times a day... Looks like my dryness was worse than yours since the plug does the job just right... the eye is not over wet. Good to hear from you and I am wondering until now where is Mike? He, together with you were the best advisers in town... I do hope he is doing well. All the best and I will keep you posted.
    Hi Freidi,

Glad the plug is working well for you. Your dryness does sound worse, but maybe it will eventually go away, as it mainly has for me (though I can't remember if yours started from the surgery or before).

Yeah, people have cycled in through this RCE thread (or former ones) for a long time. I think I've been on and off for about 5-6 years, and Mike the same. I went about a year without being on here, so my user stats now list me as a newbie - all those posts long ago to be called a newbie, kind of cracks me up. I'm sure Mike will reappear sometime. At this point there is so much RCE information on here and good advice from many. I got on here a few years after PTK cured me; I'm not sure if the board existed back then, but I wish it had.

Hope your eyes continue to not get in the way of your life/sleep/work. What an enormous drain it can be.

all the best,
    ebmd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #122
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Hello All - UPDATE - I had the PTK a second time on 12/30/09 and I've been erosion free since. Absolutely no problems at all. The first PTK that I had the doc had not done the entire cornea (which is why it failed). Sometimes the docs get conservative. This time, he did "most" of the cornea. I'm not sure why he didn't just do the entire cornea but so far I've been free and clear. Personally, I think I have to go a year to be sure that I'm rid of this once and for all. But, I'm feeling great and I use Muro 128 ointment at night just as a precaution but no problems since the PTK.

EDIT - one more thing, I'm glad my doc was conservative in that he took off 5 microns the first time then 10 on the second PTK. But, we did not do PRK (which is also corrective vision). I've heard that PRK can cause dry eyes. I'm not sure if that is because it takes off more of the cornea (up to 30 microns) or if there are other reasons. But, for some, I've heard that if they do get dry eyes it lasts 6 months. Don't know all the reasons but I'll stick with glasses and the PTK that I did - so far it's working.

Best to all,
    Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 04-23-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #123
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janets View Post
    Hi all,
    I have just started reading the boards again. Fortunately, I have been erosion free for about 3 years - taking the advise of Mike and others. I do NOT open my eyes or move them...and apply eye drops immediately upon waking letting the moisture unloosen the eyelids. I do this for both eyes even though I always had the erosions in my left eye. The other important advise is the flaxseed tablets and avoiding Alleve or other NSAIDs. Winters are always worse due to the dry air.

I send you all best wishes -- keep erosion free.

Janet
    Janet - the technique worked great for me for 5 years until it started happening in REM sleep. I never expected such a thing could happen. What's worse is that for me it escalated in intensity to such a high level that I didn't even think they were erosions. The pain was so massive that I thought it was something else. It felt like a stabbing, throbbing spasm as I awakened to massive pain for several minutes. Ironically, it could have been the best thing that happened to me in that it forced me to confront my fears of surgery. Yet, PTK was less painful for me than even the most minor erosions. I'm not saying that will happen to you or anyone else for my erosions when they "flared up" seemed to escalate in frequency and intensity. Anyways, if you or anyone does consider PTK the best advice I can give is to find a doctor who has done a lot of them and has good qualifications and is someone you can trust. It worked for me (so far) as I'm about 3.5 months free and clear. My doc was very conservative and the first time I believe he took off 5 microns and then second time he took off 10. I still use the muro at night just as a precaution but I have had no problems whatsoever in the mornings and I haven't needed to even apply any artificial tears in the morning either but I do keep them handy just in case.

Best to all,
    Mike

Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #124
    Freidi34
    (female)

Freidi34 HB User

Hi Mike,

It is so nice to hear from you! I am very happy that you feel better, since you helped so many of us with your good advice. Since my superficial ketactotomy I haven not had an erosion.. although I have dry eyes, and the doc put the punctual plug, and it is doing the job. I also almost do not ahve to put artificial tears during the day anymore and it is such a relief.. it has improved my quality of life... Sometimes if I stay too long reading on the computer my eye feels sore a little bit.. I prefer to read from a raw paper or a bookm which does not bother me at all.. thank god.. I suffered a lot in the past and my doc was conservative too. It took him 2 years to opt for surgery... he tried everything. I also tried your technique but it did not wrk. I had erosions during the day... soemtimes at night. It really impaired my quality of life. Thank G'd it did not come back since the surgery. The doc told me he scraped the entire cornea (total keractotomy) but he did not do the PTK. Best regards to you!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #125
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

Freida - I can look at my computer monitor all day and night without a problem (but there's a secret to that). Many might tell you the usual to blink often, take breaks, and look away at a far object every 15 minutes or so. However, I strongly believe one thing that really helps a LOT is to turn the brightness way down and adjust the contrast as well. You don't want to strain to read the monitor but most have the brightness up way too much like looking at a light or something.

Mike

Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #126
    Freidi34
    (female)

Freidi34 HB User

Mike,

then the solution is more simple than I thought.... I could adjust the brightness. Tk you!

Closed Thread