It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• I have a smoky/hazy eye

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
    Alex1989
    (male)

Alex1989 HB User
    I have a smoky/hazy eye

Hi all,

For around 2 years now (maybe earlier but i perhaps didn't notice it) my left eye has been hazy, or smoky....thats the best description i can give....like if i close my right eye, my left is very dark and i cannot see a great deal through this haze/smoke.

I went to the optimetrist a year ago and he said that everything was fine, just that i am very short sighted and hopefully it would stabalise as i got older.

My prescription is -7.00 in both eyes, however i struggle with eye tests when it comes to my left eye as its difficult to see through the haze/smoke, but when i can see around the haze the letters are quite sharp.

It has got to the point now where it is getting me down from day to day. Although my vision is ok with my glassess on or contacts in, have a constant left haxe in my left field of vison.....can't help but notice it and how bad that eye is too.

Next week i have a consultation for laser eye surgery....now i don't know what to think if it turns out im elgiable for it....will it fix the hazy/smoky eye problem? Could it go wrong and be even worse?

My head is a mess right now for example when im at work, i can't help but focus on the left eye and how i wish it was like the right

I guess im just looking for help on what it could be.....is it a lazy eye? that me wearing glassess since i was 4 (im 19 now) has made 1 eye more dominant than the other, making the other dormant?

Any help or responses are much appreciated!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1989 For This Useful Post:
    chemista (11-22-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
    Re: I have a smoky/hazy eye

It does seemthat you have a lazy eye - known medically as an amblyopic eye. This simply means that your brain has given up trying to get a clear picture from that eye so the eye just delivers the minimum of information and that means a blurred, out of focus image. The reason for that is double vision in early childhood due to strabismus (misaligned eyes). Now, is that what you mean by a smoky/hazy eye or is there something more serious such as a cataract. That would be unusual at your age, unless you have sustained an injury to that eye.
    You don't give the reason for the laser surgery. Is this to correct your short-sightedness? In any case, it will not improve the lazy eye effect.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
    Alex1989
    (male)

Alex1989 HB User

I have booked a consultation for laser eye surgery in an attempt to "fix" my eye, but if it won't make a difference to the haze/smoke then i guess i won't got for it....can i just ask is there anyway i can perhaps improve the eye?? like forcing myself to use it by keeping my right shut..i don't know....its just quite annoying to think it will be like this forever.

Thanks for your reply btw, really appreciate it!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

If Alex's left eye was amblyopic, would his prescription still be -7 for both eyes? Also, he said this problem with the one eye started two years ago. Just wondering.

Alex, since your last appointment was a year ago with an optometrist, I'd suggest you get a thorough examination from an ophthalmologist. (Willl the laser doctor do this? Don't know.)

Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Keela, I would say yes. In my experience, an optician or ophthalmologist will usually prescribe the same strength of lens for an amblyopic eye as for its partner on the assumption that the front-back distance is usually the same in both eyes.
    As a matter of interest, the strength of my replacement lens for my upcoming cataract surgery on my amblyopic eye was predicted by an OCT type of scan. It will evidently be a long distance lens which means I will presumably have to get a new progressive lens to replace the very expensive one I got only just over a year ago.

Last edited by TopGeek; 02-12-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: extra detail

Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
    Alex1989
    (male)

Alex1989 HB User

Cheers for replies guys.

I never was diagnosed with a lazy eye when i was little, im just looking for any explanation as to why my eye is the way it is. Through my left eye my sight is all dark and hazy...thats the best description i can give.

Also, my right eye seems to do all the work. Like i noticed recently that i'm barely even seeing through my left eye, i mean sometimes its all fine and i can ignore it and others its glaringly obvious.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Alex, I was making some assumptions based on your age because a lazy or amblyopic eye can go unnoticed until the late teens when your brain ceases trying to correct sight deficiencies. As I said earlier, a cataract would be unusual at your age but I agree with Keela that you ought to see an ophthalmologist before you go for anything as radical as laser surgery.
    I also have little sight in my left eye due to a cataract and an epiretinal membrane, both of which will be operated on in less than two weeks from now.

Last edited by TopGeek; 02-12-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: extra detail

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
    Alex1989
    (male)

Alex1989 HB User

if im honest i have been to the hospital 3 times in a year...as i complained of having difficulty seeing through my left eye last jan, they admitted me to hospital in fear of something serious. However when i went to the hospital they found nothing wrong.

I have been 2 times since then, once in june and once in jan this year, and all times, i was given the all clear. Is the person im seeing an ophthalmologist or an optometrist? I don't really know haha:P

Although each time felt like a rush job, didn't feel like many tests where conducted. I have now been discharged from the hospital, and with no explanations as to why the eye is the way it is.
    Iv'e basically just told myself it must be normal people having a dominant eye and a weak one.....but i got new glassess recently and they made it very apparent how bad the eye was and dark etc so its made me worry again.

iv'e always thought a lazy eye would look different, like "lazy" lol, and so i just told myself it was bad sight on that particular eye. But as i said in my post, its more a mist covering the eye than poor, blurred vision.

Any replies are very appreciated, thanks.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Alex, it sounds as though the doctors are baffled and maybe think you are imagining your problem. If the hospital you went to has an eye clinic, they are probably ophthalmologists so they should be able to carry out tests to determine your visual capabilities with great precision.
    A "lazy" eye is layman's language for an eye that does not see as well as the other one, although it is also sometimes used to describe an eye that drifts in or out of alignment with the other one.
    Yes, everyone has a dominant eye but that has nothing to do with the visual ability of each one. It simply means that your brain has learnt to favour one eye or the other in monocular situations as in looking through the viewfinder of a camera, into a telecope or along the sight of a gun. The eye that you use for those purposes will always be the same one and that is your dominant eye.
    The smoky/hazy description that you give could apply to several conditions and it is only an opthalmologist who can determine the answer in your case.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

I'm with Brian. You still need to see an ophthalmologist for a thorough examination. Three ER visits would have turned up something obvious, now you need a doc who will look for the less obvious.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #11
    Alex1989
    (male)

Alex1989 HB User

Thanks guys.

Just one thing though, topgeek you explain that the eye you use to look down the sight of a gun etc is always the dominant eye...well i actually naturally close my right eye to look in a microscope, or for example if i try to close my left eye, i have a hard time keeping my right open, in fact i must use my hand to hold the right open.

Whereas i can easily close my right to look through the left. And all i see when i do this as i say is not alot lol. So this confuses me about your theory as my right is the one i use to see, but my left is the one i would use for a situation you described haha, if that makes sense.

Thanks again for the replies.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Sounds like you just have a bad habit. What's the use of looking into a microscope with a smoky/hazy eye?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
    Alex1989
    (male)

Alex1989 HB User

no i don't do it intentionally, its just feels natural. I haven't used a micorscope since school lol i was just using it as an example.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The question still applies. In a situation of 20/20 vision in both eyes, the brain will still choose to assign one eye the dominant role. One way to check your dominant eye is, with both eyes open, hold your hand up at arm's length to obscure a distant object (such as the TV screen). Close and open each eye alternately several times. You will notice that, when closing one eye, your hand seems to move to one side so revealing the hidden object. Opening and closing the other eye will not make your hand appear to move - this is the dominant eye.

Closed Thread