It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Post Vitrectomy complications for Retina Detachment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
    paulmplk
    (male)

paulmplk HB User
    Post Vitrectomy complications for Retina Detachment

I was diagnosed with a retina detachment ("jelly fluid causing tear") in the top left corner of my left eye on Jan 11 and had vitrectomy surgery on Jan 12with a "gas bubble".

Doctor did a vitrectomy and I had a gas bubble which lasted for apprx 17 days.

The retina detached again and the doctor decided that the best course of action was to surround the detached area of retina with laser surgery which i have had...to keep the tear from expanding and the fluid tearing retina further.

Main question - Since apprx three weeks after the vitrectomy (when the gas bubble fully lifted) I have had a blurriness in my operated eye and the quality of the vision is poor. It is almost like I have "air" in my operated eye or the feeling of a "glassy eye". My surgeon does not understand why this would be the case. I would greatly appreciate feedback from others.Interesting when i do the "pinpoint" test i think it is called, my sight is good/clear in the operated eye but not the case otherwise. I would appreciate anyone's experience with similar issues.

Also, when a vitrectomy is not successful, does anyone have any experience with the laser surgery to contain the torn detached area of the retina and how successful ? Also what type of restrictions help the laser surgery be successful ? General advice welcome.

Also has anyone experienced a retina detachment repaired with a vitrectomy that did not work using gas bubble procedure. What kind of restrictions did you have after surgery and how did it all work out ? After my vitrectomy I was told not to fly and lie on my side or face but not my back and not to do anyhting that would jolt my head. Those restrictions have now lifted except that i have been told to limit activities that would jolt my head until the laser surgery has been in place for 10 days (e.g.) sit ups, push ups, etc in gym but other activites ok.......threadmill, eliptical, stationery bike.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
    JodieJ
    Veteran
    (female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User
    Re: Post Vitrectomy complications for Retina Detachment

I wish that I could provide answers to your specific concerns about your condition, but I can't. Your surgeon is your best source of information about all that. It's unfortunate that s/he seems to be a little deficient in the empathy department. The fact that you have decent pinpoint vision seems like a good prognostic sign. Maybe if you asked your surgeon about the possible causes for a symptom/problem, you'd get more information. (His/her ego might prevent him/her from saying that s/he had no idea about what the possibilities could be.)

You're still early in the healing process--try to be patient. (I'm aware of how hard that can be.)

Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
    m27
    (male)

m27 HB User

Hello, PLEASE BE PATIENT. "PIXELS" ARE STILL MISSING - DONT WORRY. Are you on drops, first predforte then non steroidal as I received. I had Vitrectomy 2/07 at Duke related facility and I'm still in healing process. My concern is macular edema and I am on long tern use of Acular (which one better .05 or LS .04) When are you going for follw up appts? My vision corrected was 20/70 and now down to 20/30 range, officially, but much is missing, it takes time.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Paul, I presume the test in which you had sharp vision with the operated eye was the 'pinhole' test in which you look through a blanking plate with a tiny hole in the middle. This indicates that the blurred vision is due to a lens correction problem. If you wear glasses, the lens is no longer the right prescription. The ophthalmolgist may be reluctant to prescibe a new lens because, following vitrectomy, you will have a cataract at some time and after that is repaired will be the moment to prescribe new lenses. It is also possible that you have some oedema which is deforming the retina and the ophthalmologist may be waiting for that to reduce.
    It is surprising that this was not explained to you.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Just bumping this up closer to another thread about this.

Top Geek, you had two vitrectomies, right? With the first you had the gas bubble and with the second a saline solution? And you probably had to miss a lot of work? Hope you're doing better.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Only just saw this and realised I did not reply.
    At the time you posed the question, I had only had one vitrectomy (June 2008) and that was a saline solution with no bubble.
    My second vitrectomy was 31st March 2009 and that was with the saline solution and a gas/air bubble.
    More details in the ILM peel thread.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
    mollieh
    (female)

mollieh HB User
    Cool Re: Post Vitrectomy complications for Retina Detachment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulmplk View Post
    I was diagnosed with a retina detachment ("jelly fluid causing tear") in the top left corner of my left eye on Jan 11 and had vitrectomy surgery on Jan 12with a "gas bubble".

The retina detached again and the doctor decided that the best course of action was to surround the detached area of retina with laser surgery which i have had...to keep the tear from expanding and the fluid tearing retina further.

Main question - Since apprx three weeks after the vitrectomy (when the gas bubble fully lifted) I have had a blurriness in my operated eye and the quality of the vision is poor. It is almost like I have "air" in my operated eye or the feeling of a "glassy eye". My surgeon does not understand why this would be the case. I would greatly appreciate feedback from others.Interesting when i do the "pinpoint" test i think it is called, my sight is good/clear in the operated eye but not the case otherwise. I would appreciate anyone's experience with similar issues.

Also, when a vitrectomy is not successful, does anyone have any experience with the laser surgery to contain the torn detached area of the retina and how successful ? Also what type of restrictions help the laser surgery be successful ? General advice welcome.

Also has anyone experienced a retina detachment repaired with a vitrectomy that did not work using gas bubble procedure. What kind of restrictions did you have after surgery and how did it all work out ? After my vitrectomy I was told not to fly and lie on my side or face but not my back and not to do anyhting that would jolt my head. Those restrictions have now lifted except that i have been told to limit activities that would jolt my head until the laser surgery has been in place for 10 days (e.g.) sit ups, push ups, etc in gym but other activites ok.......threadmill, eliptical, stationery bike.

Thank you

Old 04-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
    mollieh
    (female)

mollieh HB User

After a detached retina and a gas bubble, I had to lie flat for a month, then keep my head down for another two weeks. so far, so good. Now I can lift my head up, but no exercise, no walking, no driving, no lifting. One thing is for sure. I am following exactly what the doctor says. Like I said, so far so good.

Keep your chin up!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #9
    inoor
    (male)

inoor HB User

Hi Paul, my brother had same symptoms as you after his vitrectomy for retinal detachment. I want to know how are you doing so i can tell him your story and give him hope. He's very scared.

Right now he's 31 yrs old. When he was 12yrs old, retinal detachment was not caught in time in left eye so he lost his left eye and sclera buckle was put in right eye. now after 19yrs, viterous fluid was contracting and pulling his retina again so doctors did laser. When that did not hold they did gas bubble vitrectomy and also did laser to attach the retina. for two weeks he had his eyes down and he couldnt not see. he could not see anything and depression was getting to him but we told him to wait and you will be able to see. after two weeks he can make out things but everything is blurry. in daylight he feels as if he's at night, things are dim, he can't make out letters because its so blurry thus he cant read.

he had his vitrectomy done on sept 14, 2010 and his vision hasnt improved. i've talked to his surgeon, and his surgeon told me samething that you surgeon told you, which is i dont know. therefore, i came on here searching for answers, i stumbled upon your post, you had same post vitrectomy symptoms so i thought i'd ask you how are you doing after a year.

thanks for your time and help, NN

The following user gives a hug of support to inoor:
    Eagle (01-25-2011)
    Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
    scottg1511
    (male)

scottg1511 HB User

Hi,

My name is Scott and I am 30. I was diagnosed with Optic Disc Pit. ...I had a vitrectomy with gas bubble in August 2010. I had it under local anisthetic and had a gas bubble in my eye for 10 days. I was told to lay flat on my face for a week.

I knew only weeks after the op that it hadn't been a success but was told to hold out hope and wait a couple of months. I have done that and my {left} eye has filled up with fluid again leaving me with blurry vision in that eye.

I went to casualty to speak to someone and was told that the op hadn't worked. I had fluid in my eye still and my retina had detached. So I have to go see my surgeon next week. Has anyone else went through this? Has anyone else came out of it with 20/20 vision....

Hope to hear some replies as I am getting worried now...thanks :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to scottg1511:
    Eagle (11-04-2010)
    Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
    mollieh
    (female)

mollieh HB User

The restrictions may be a pain but follow them exactly!

It takes time. good luck!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
    jahwhi
    (female)

jahwhi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulmplk View Post

Thank you
    I had a detached retina and detached macula on 11/15/10 which was reattached with the gas bubble procedure and followed up 11/19/10 with laser. Had to keep in upright position for 2 weeks... even for sleeping.
    Check up on 12/22/10 indicated that retina had redetached. 12/23/10 had vitrectomy with gas bubble and laser. In order to keep the bubble pressing the retina in the correct place, I was told to sleep on my left side and be very careful to not lay on my back. I am 5 weeks out and still have the bubble. My vision is very, very fuzzy. Things appear much farther away than they actually are and are somewhat distorted. Straight lines have a wave in them. My Doctor said that it will be 3 to 4 months before we know the final outcome of my vision. I also have the sensation of a 'glassy eye' but I''m hoping it's only because the healing isn't complete. This is one of the most frightening things I've ever had to endure. It helps to talk to people who have similar experiences.

The following user gives a hug of support to jahwhi:
    Eagle (02-02-2011)
    Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
    tubint
    (female)

tubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB Usertubint HB User

Does everyone who has a Macular pucker vitrectomy have to have it twice ?
    I'm not liking the post I'm reading as I am facing my first vitrectomy/macular peel this Thursday.
    Does anyone out there have successful surgery and experience the first time around ?
    I have thick scar tissue also, does that mean they won't or might not get it all the first time ? Appreciate any feedback !

Closed Thread