It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• First Cataract removed at 17, now another one at 20 - has anyone heard of this before

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
    bekkieboop89
    (female)

bekkieboop89 HB User
    Red face First Cataract removed at 17, now another one at 20 - has anyone heard of this before

Hey everyone!

My usual stomping ground is Back Pain, but I'm over here trying to get some support for my failing vision.

Bear with me, it's a bit of a story...

Yesterday I went to the optometrist, and got some (more) bad news.

When I was 16 I failed a vision exam at the DMV. It turned out I my vision was being blocked by a cataract that completely obscured the vision in my left eye. I wasn't born with the cataracts - my doc figured it developed between the ages of 12 and 16.... and by the time I was 17 it had completely blinded me in the left eye (I know it sounds weird not being able to remember when you couldn't see out of one of your eyes, but it's amazing what you don't notice sometimes).

I got it removed just after I turned 17, about a month before I moved to the U.S; unfortunatly the nerve damage (from my retina not being exposed to light in so long, etc) was so bad that I'm still blind in my left eye..

In the last few months I've been noticing that my vision is getting very bad in my right eye, and guess what? Cataract in that eye has gotten much worse. The Doc compared my scans with those of last year, and it wasn't good. He said that he's never seen a cataract grow that fast, ever, never mind in someone who's so young (I'm 20 now). I've got a window of about 2 months to get it removed before he thinks it would do irreversible damage.

I have to get something done about it, and soon. Soon, soon or I may never regain the vision that I'm losing (and I'm losing it so, so quickly). I'm just getting over a Spinal Fusion (ouch!) - I really don't want to go under the knife again. I've had so many operations, I feel like a pin cushion!

What I would like to know is:

1. Has anyone ever heard of someone developing cataracts so young; not being born with them, but developing them?
    2. Is there some reason as to why I'm getting these so young? or a reason why I'm getting them at all - and why they're growing so fast?
    3. Also, what should I do about it - my current Ophthalmologist doesn't seem to interested in anything but simply removing them; should I try to find a doctor who would be willing to investigate more and see if there is some other reason why this is happening?

I should probably add that I have never smoked, never ingested any steroids, or steroid drops, and I've always been very good about wearing sunglasses with UV protection and all that goodness.

Thanks so much for your help!

Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
    Sanna
    (female)

Sanna HB User
    Re: First Cataract removed at 17, now another one at 20 - has anyone heard of this be

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bekkieboop89 View Post
    Hey everyone!

My usual stomping ground is Back Pain, but I'm over here trying to get some support for my failing vision.

Bear with me, it's a bit of a story...

Yesterday I went to the optometrist, and got some (more) bad news.

When I was 16 I failed a vision exam at the DMV. It turned out I my vision was being blocked by a cataract that completely obscured the vision in my left eye. I wasn't born with the cataracts - my doc figured it developed between the ages of 12 and 16.... and by the time I was 17 it had completely blinded me in the left eye (I know it sounds weird not being able to remember when you couldn't see out of one of your eyes, but it's amazing what you don't notice sometimes).

I got it removed just after I turned 17, about a month before I moved to the U.S; unfortunatly the nerve damage (from my retina not being exposed to light in so long, etc) was so bad that I'm still blind in my left eye..

In the last few months I've been noticing that my vision is getting very bad in my right eye, and guess what? Cataract in that eye has gotten much worse. The Doc compared my scans with those of last year, and it wasn't good. He said that he's never seen a cataract grow that fast, ever, never mind in someone who's so young (I'm 20 now). I've got a window of about 2 months to get it removed before he thinks it would do irreversible damage.

I have to get something done about it, and soon. Soon, soon or I may never regain the vision that I'm losing (and I'm losing it so, so quickly). I'm just getting over a Spinal Fusion (ouch!) - I really don't want to go under the knife again. I've had so many operations, I feel like a pin cushion!

What I would like to know is:

1. Has anyone ever heard of someone developing cataracts so young; not being born with them, but developing them?
    2. Is there some reason as to why I'm getting these so young? or a reason why I'm getting them at all - and why they're growing so fast?
    3. Also, what should I do about it - my current Ophthalmologist doesn't seem to interested in anything but simply removing them; should I try to find a doctor who would be willing to investigate more and see if there is some other reason why this is happening?

I should probably add that I have never smoked, never ingested any steroids, or steroid drops, and I've always been very good about wearing sunglasses with UV protection and all that goodness.

Thanks so much for your help!

Becky
    Hi,

I do not know much about this, a friend of mines brother had this when he was 24 (not as young as you, but he was not 75) and he also had to do a surgery on both his eyes. he had perfect vision before all this, and than he could not evan drive the car anymore.

I have somthing in my eye and they say it is the sun that caused it but I always use sunglasses and eat right and I am a healthy person, but I am lucky it dosent effect my vision at all.

I hope it works out for you with this surgery you have to do now.

Closed Thread