It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Not Seeing As Well With Glasses vs. Contacts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
    KD86
    (female)

KD86 HB User
    Not Seeing As Well With Glasses vs. Contacts

Hello:

I have been wearing contacts for a long time now. For the past few days my allergies are the worse they have ever been (probably due to the fact that I forgot to take my medication for a week) and it has really been effecting my eyes. I actually had to take my contacts out and wear my glasses.

I noticed that I don't see as well with my glasses as I do with my contacts. I was looking at the computer at work from a distance, but the screen was blurry. The screen is never blurry with my contacts.

My glasses are the same strength as my contacts. Actually I think when I went to get new glasses the doctor gave me a slightly higher prescription for my glasses. I have no problem seeing out of my contacts.

Anyone else have this?
    KD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
    JodieJ
    Veteran
    (female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User
    Re: Not Seeing As Well With Glasses vs. Contacts

This is a common problem for people who wear contacts (especially RGP lenses) full time. Your contacts have slightly altered the shape of your corneas (or possibly caused some corneal inflammation). It can take hours/days/weeks for your corneas to return to their previous shape.

I was never able to see as well out of my glasses when I wore RGP contacts, but no longer had this problem when I switched to soft contacts. You should discuss the problem with your eye care provider.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

Isn't it also true that contacts provide slightly better correction then glasses? Think it's due to there being no distance between them and the eye and fewer areas for distortion.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
    JodieJ
    Veteran
    (female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

Probably contacts (especially RGPs) do provide slightly better vision. But the impairment in vision that I used to experience after taking off my RGP contacts and putting on my glasses was more than slight--there was significant blurring. I didn't have this problem after switching to soft contacts. It seemed that I could see about as well with either glasses or soft contacts.

Closed Thread