It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• is everyone's central vision like this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
    girl1465
    (female)

girl1465 HB User
    is everyone's central vision like this?

Hi there,

When I cover one eye, the vision I get in the other eye starts going black from the nose out over a period of a couple seconds; it's really staticky but I can still kind of see through it. This doesn't affect peripheral vision though and as far as I can tell is always the case migraine or not.

Is this something that everyone gets that I'm just noticing now? Is there a name for it if it's just a normal visual phenomenon?

-gotten more noticeable over the past few years; in my twenties
    -eyes don't focus at all, have prism in glasses to correct this now
    -constant staticky distortion in central vision with both eyes open
    -never used drugs, thank ya very much

I'm super curious about it.

Last edited by girl1465; 09-22-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User
    Re: is everyone's central vision like this?

While awaiting an answer from one of our more knowledgable posters, I suggest you ******** an Amsler grid and follow the instructions. The grid is good at highlighting areas of concern.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
    girl1465
    (female)

girl1465 HB User

Hi guys,
    I looked at the Amsler grid and I think the lines were straight but it was the same thing, the dark blur kind of takes over the grid. By staticky I mean, pixellated or patchy or shimmery. It's constant but gets much worse in low light. It's like nothing's a solid colour. It's not uniform either, because I see lines and shapes in it too, overlaid on everything. I feel so inarticulate! But it is like this all the time.
    I saw an optometist a while ago and mentioned the "static" to him but he just asked me if I do drugs (I don't). I didn't mention the rest of what I have here. Wouldn't he have noticed if something was weird when he did the exam? He did the puff of air test. I'm sorry, I don't know anything about this stuff! An opthamologist is an MD, is that how it works?
    I'm seeing my GP tomorrow, should I mention this to him? That wouldn't be me saying something dumb like "when I close my eyes I can't see!", then?

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

Yes, an ophthalmologist is an MD.

The purpose of the grid is to show distortions or blind areas. You don't have distortions, but it's not clear to me whether the dark area obliterates the lines, or if you can see through it. Can you see the grid lines through the static blob?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Yes, an opthalmologist is an MD and is qualified to analyse the causes of visual problems like yours. By all means mention it to your GP but ask him straight to refer you to an ophthalmologist. GPs often dismiss obscure eye problems as 'probably migraine' but you need to get this sorted out so be prepared to be firm about it if necessary.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
    girl1465
    (female)

girl1465 HB User

Ah, right. When I look at the grid I can not see the lines through most of the dark blur. It actually looks like what happens when I've fainted/almost fainted, the spreading blurring and darkening. That's what I thought when I first noticed it while peering into a keyhole, that I was passing out but nope. Am I just seeing my other eye's eyelid and my brain's letting it override the other eye? Do other people really not have this? I mentioned it to my GP and made a followup so I'll tell him more about it then. Thanks for getting back to me. I feel silly about this!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

The other thing I'm not clear on is whether this is constant, or comes & goes. If it's there all lthe time and you can't see through the blob, it's serious and likely indicates retinal problems. If it's intermittent, it may not be serious at all.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
    girl1465
    (female)

girl1465 HB User

It's a constant effect, I think, but...
    If I close one eye my vision gets noticeably distorted and darker immediately in the other, except for peripheral vision which stays the same. It's the same deal wearing glasses or not. The blurring always spreads from the nose out over a period of seconds, like 1, 2, 3 and that's it. If I move my eye around though I can clear my vision temporarily but it will blur out again if I stop.

KeelaC and/or TopGeek, do you know why this would be so? Do you think it sounds like an eye thing or a neurological thing or just 'nothing'? I really appreciate your input, by the way. It's helping me put together the words to describe what I'm seeing.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

To me, this sounds more like a mechanical obstruction such as a droopy eyelid, long eyelashes, heavy mascara or a large floater in the gel (vitreous) inside the eye. Any of those conditions should be evident to an optometrist or even your GP.
    A scotoma is quite different and is constant. It is the result of a defect in or on the retina or the optic nerve. It does not change in the way you describe.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #10
    KeelaC
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

KeelaC HB User

Quote:
    -eyes don't focus at all, have prism in glasses
    WE haven't paid much attention to this fact. What exactly is wrong with your eyes? The effect you describe might have something to do with this condition.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
    mom2sfs
    (female)

mom2sfs HB User

I have all kinds of eye problems so once in doing research on my conditions I stumbled upon something called "visual snow". It sounds like what you have! Do a Google search and you will find information on this phenomonon. Good luck, I hope you can get answers soon.

Closed Thread