It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Bacterial Pink Eye Reinfection - HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
    sunshine84
    (female)

sunshine84 HB User
    Exclamation Bacterial Pink Eye Reinfection - HELP!

Hi all -

I recently moved in with my boyfriend, and had a horrible sinus infection which I believe was then the cause of a lovely case of pink eye. I called my dr for drops (as the green gunk was present so I knew it was bacterial). Sure enough my bf ended up getting it as well.

We changed the sheets, towels, etc. Cleaned as much as we could but we live with 4 other people so it's hard to keep up.

A week had gone by while we were free and clear, new sheets and pillowcases etc. Then on Weds, out of the blue in the middle of the afternoon, I notice my eye is red. Start tobramycin again (from my last scrip) and it clears up in 24 hours. I'm still taking the drops. My boyfriend has it AGAIN - he's out of town with his family for the holidays.. I am with mine..

The question is - what else can we do to prevent reinfection? We can't keep passing this back and forth to each other! Sleeping in separate beds isn't an option... How long does this bacteria live on surfaces? Since we haven't been home in 4 days, did any of it die off?

Please please help.. I've never lived with anyone before so I'd appreciate advice from anyone on how to stop this gross cycle.. I took the drops for close to 8 days last time before figuring I was fine.. Oh and none of the roommates have gotten it at all.

Any help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
    TopGeek
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
    Re: Bacterial Pink Eye Reinfection - HELP!

It's so easy for opportunistic infections to keep bouncing back. It could be that the germs are hiding within your bodies and that it is not anything to do with reinfection from surfaces, pillows or any external items. Ideally, you should ask for a systemic antibiotic as an alternative or supplement to Tobramycin. In fact, Tobramycin is usually given as an antibiotic of last resort because certain germs can build up resistance to it.
    Another elimination technique is to shower using a powerful antiseptic wash based on povidone iodine. Your local pharmacy would recommend a suitable product.

Last edited by TopGeek; 11-29-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Closed Thread