It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• How Do You Perceive Your Nose (convergence question)?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
    Jerry1985
    (male)

Jerry1985 HB User
    How Do You Perceive Your Nose (convergence question)?

My issue is that since mid 2002 I always perceive my nose as seeing the right side of my nose as a 'transparent shadow' on the left side of my visual field and the left side of my nose as a 'transparent shadow' on the right side of my visual field. I also feel like I generally have an elusive feeling of "tightness" just around my left eye so the 'transparent shadow' image of the right side of my nose that I always perceive on the left side of my visual field always seems more prominent to me.

Originally I saw an optometrist when this began in mid 2002 and again in early 2005 and they told me I basically have 20/20 vision, no glaucoma, pressure in eyes is normal etc. so for years I've thought that something else was causing me to perceive my nose as two 'distinctly separate shadows' but muscle relaxants, physio, chiro achieved nothing and an mri was clear.

So is it normal for me to perceive the two sides of my nose concurrently as two distinct shadows all the time or could this perception be caused by a convergence indifficiency (a recent test showed my convergence to be between 20 - 25cm when normal convergence for someone my age is about 8cm). I have been trying pencil push ups and various other visual exercises for about 10 - 12 weeks with no changes.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
    Jerry1985
    (male)

Jerry1985 HB User
    Re: How Do You Perceive Your Nose (convergence question)?

I just need someone to tell me whether how I perceive my nose is normal and I'm just being crazy or is it abnormal to always perceive your nose as seeing both sides concurrently as two 'distinctly separate transparent shadows' thereby meaning this could be caused by my convergence insufficiency?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I wish someone who understands your issue would reply as I have absolutely no idea what you are describing. I don't "perceive" my nose at all. Pehaps I have an issue and you don't? Just never thought about it! Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
    makeshift
    (male)

makeshift HB User

You are not alone. I to have Convergence Insufficiency as I am just now discovering. I always new I had a "laze eye" but never understood why my eyes were so diffrent...ie both eyes turn out when I'm in a relaxed state. I to always see the right side of my nose and a shadow of my left.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
    valleron2009
    (male)

valleron2009 HB User

i have the same issues,i always see a transparent nose shadow at right as an illusion and the right side as real.its dificult to explain.i have this for 3 years now.have you found any solution?mayby wearing some glasses,

Closed Thread