It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• PTK and Corneal Erosion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
    Freidi34
    (female)

Freidi34 HB User
    PTK and Corneal Erosion

Dear Mike and others,

I hope you are doing well. Since my surgery I have not had an erosion but I have been suffering from dry eye from time to time. I have a punctual plug in my eye but it looks like that even with that, sometimes when I wake up, the eye is very dry and uncomfortable... and the same eye is a drop smaller than the other one. As the day goes by the disconfort diminishes and the eye size gets back to normal... But this has become a pattern... every 2 to 3 months I have that problem. Could someone shed some light on this? My doc has urged me to sleep with a cold humidifier and take a vitamin complex to help it... Do you think is that is? or is it a side effect of the surgery that I will have to deal with for the years to come?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
    ebmd
    (male)

ebmd HB User
    Re: PTK and Corneal Erosion

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freidi34 View Post
    Since my surgery I have not had an erosion but I have been suffering from dry eye from time to time. [Snipped] or is it a side effect of the surgery that I will have to deal with for the years to come?
    Hi Freidi,

As I've mentioned on here with my experience, I had dry eye for quite some time post-PTK. I had the surgery in 2001, but it has gradually gotten better and I no longer have it. Initially I did things like compresses (which are supposed to help lubrication in the eye), humidifiers, supplements, etc, but I never noticed significant help. This hit me most in the evenings. Usually if I just kept my eyes closed for about 15 minutes I would feel much much better. Going to bed, I still use Genteal Gel Severe, and if my eyes are uncomfortable during the day (rare now), I use Genteal Gel Moderate.

Probably the thing that was most correlated with eye discomfort was sun and wind exposure. If it was a very bright day, and I didn't have my sunglasses, my eyes would really be uncomfortable and dry that night. That is still true today. So I would recommend sunglasses, particularly wraparound ones to keep the wind out. I call them my "Granny Glasses," but they work (I also wear regular glasses, so I have to wear big shades).

About the eye size, etc, I don't know anything about that being related to the surgery. But I think having different sizes is extremely common. I know mine are different sizes at various times.

ebmd.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
    Freidi34
    (female)

Freidi34 HB User

Hi ebmd,

It is quite amazing that you take the time to respond and help me.. thank you. Yes, I also wear sunglasses outdoors.. I can not tolerate sunlight. But I am a little worried about this dryness... I hope it won't get to an erosion cycle again. A lot of times is very unconfortable and reminds the times before surgery... But is not like having an erosion and not being able to open the eye to the pain. Yesterday night I felt a scratch in the eye and felt I could not open the eye... I am still traumatized... I hope it could have been an eyelash that got stuck... I have long eyelashes and it happened a few times, even before I had the erosion problem... I really hope it was only an eyelash.. I would not like to have a relapse, G'd forbid. But since my eye is sore I am putting refresh tears every 2 hours and lotemax.... just in case... thank you again

Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
    Kendra01
    (female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

My doctor has recommended a scraping. I intend to do it soon, as the episodes are getting worse. Any recommendations on what drops to use and what to do for the next few weeks when I can get in to have it done. I called her office and they said use the Systane moisture drops. They help just a little. Any other things I can do?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
    ebmd
    (male)

ebmd HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freidi34 View Post
    Hi ebmd,

[....] A lot of times is very unconfortable and reminds the times before surgery... But is not like having an erosion and not being able to open the eye to the pain.
    Hi Freidi,

That situation is so similar to what I used to feel post-PTK, I'm happy to relay my experience.... I often had this strange feeling that the cornea was being 'tugged' but not actually eroding. I forget when you had your surgery, but that tugging feeling went away after maybe a year or so. Honestly I didn't use drops nearly as much as I maybe should have, so you are doing the right thing, but I guess it says something about the permanence of PTK that I didn't ever get another erosion no matter how bad the dryness got. And like I said, that dryness finally has gone away (or I've gotten used to it).

Hope you keep getting better.

ebmd

Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
    ebmd
    (male)

ebmd HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendra01 View Post
    Any recommendations on what drops to use and what to do for the next few weeks when I can get in to have it done. I called her office and they said use the Systane moisture drops. They help just a little. Any other things I can do?
    Hi Kendra,

You might want to ask on the dry eye thread. I never found drops of any kind to provide long-lasting relief. I generally have stuck with the "Genteal" line, which has options for varying degrees of dryness. At night (before bed) I use Genteal Gel Severe - it's much thicker and lasts a long time, but you can't really use it during the day. They have another one,"moderate to severe" that is still sort of thick but you can use it in the daytime. But even that doesn't last me too long. The thing that always helped during the day was to put some drops in, then just "rest" my eyes by closing them for about 5-10 minutes.

good luck,
    ebmd

Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
    Kendra01
    (female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Thanks a lot.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
    mike1961
    (male)

mike1961 HB User

I remember reading somewhere that some lasers can cause dry eye (especially when doing vision correction due to taking off more of the epithelium) but also when it cuts through both nerves at the top of the eye can cause dry eye for around 6 months. That's what I read but my doc always took off very little when doing PTK (both times took off 5 mm). I haven't had a problem with dry eye. Also, if you work with a computer it's a good idea to turn down the brightness and contrast.

Good luck to all - stay well.
    Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 12-14-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Closed Thread