It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Visual snow, nerves & mood

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
    SkiHill
    (male)

SkiHill HB User
    Question Visual snow, nerves & mood

Hi,

I've been seeing what sounds like visual snow since as long as I can remember. At any time, I see pixels of very bright (neon) colors everywhere. These are far more obvious if I'm looking at a unified colored surface or if my eyes are closed. Also, after seeing something too bright (i.e. the sun's reflection on the snow) my vision would be completely blocked by a green screen.

When I've very tired, these increase. I also feel like I can hear them, although it might not be related, but the more tired I am the more I'll notice this static sound. Sometimes it's very loud. It sounds like what you hear when you eat these candy that explode in your mouth, or fizz or something, I can't remember the name, rocket candy?

For a few years I've notices that other colored spots, bigger, more obvious and moving in a different way (think of a campfire, the orange things that float in the air from it) would happen when part of my body would crack (back, neck). I noticed this while stretching in gym, while picking a friend up in my arms, or just turning my neck and hearing it crack.

I've been wearing glasses since I'm 9, my vision's been getting drastically worse in the first few years after that, but then suddenly started to get better (every glasses prescription gets lighter). I also have very frequent painful headaches, and lose my balance easily (but recover quickly). I used to have major mood problems (been diagnosed with cyclothymia), but I managed to improve with the years; however I often fall in a state of depression which I find hard to fight against.

I know my mother has a problem with her thyroid, it's intermittent, so she goes from hyper to hypothyroid states, and from what I can remember I think it's common in her side of the family. Could that be the cause?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
    Bananana13
    (female)

Bananana13 HB User
    Re: Visual snow, nerves & mood

When I was a child, my mother told me that seeing green after being outside for a long time was completely normal. To this day, I still believe her on that point and I don't think I'd associate it. I also don't think that hearing a fuzzy noise or your thyroid has anything to do with it. Just a guess! It may be possible.

Personally, I think Visual Snow is one of those things that doctors don't know a lot about. I've tried explaining this vision to my family doctor before, and all I got was a strange look like: "What are you talking about?" I visit the opthmologist yearly to check and see if I'm going blind or seeing different colors from the medication I'm on (plaquinol). I don't think I've ever talked to him about visual snow, but I'm guessing it's normal since he always gives me the A-OK. Unlike you, I have 20-20 vision and the dots do not obstruct my vision. They are small and refined like sand. I do not know what the causes for seeing this way are, all I know is that it's nothing to worry about otherwise my doctor would have noticed! Right???

Closed Thread