It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
    nckmartin
    (male)

nckmartin HB User
    Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy

First time poster,

My father who is 60 years old was recently diagnosed with Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. About 12 years ago, he lost most the vision in his right eye. He was told by his neuro-opth physician that he had optic neuropathy.

Last summer, he had a detached retinal repaired in his left (good) eye. Things were going well until last week. He has lost most his vision in his left (good) eye throughout the week. He noticed about a week ago that he accidentally went through a red light while driving. The next morning, things appeared bright. So he made an immediate visit to his neuro-ophthalmologist who dilated his eye and noticed that his optic nerve was inflamed 2+. His retinal repair was fine. He was immediately placed in the hospital (Cleveland Clinic) and placed on 1gram prednisone IV a day for three days. He was tested for MS, had spinal tap and MRI. MS tests came back negative. He was released from the hospital with most his eyesight in tact. He was officially diagnosed with Anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. The next day he went to work and stated that things were "bright". Later that night, he called me to come pick him up because he couldn't see.

Back to the neuro-optho we went. Again, his optic nerve was still swollen. He was prescribed Trental 400mg 3x a time and alphagan eye drops 3x a day. His vision became worse. The doctor put him back on 1 gram solu-medrol a day for 3 days again. He just finished his third treatment today. He states that all he can see is a few shadows. He states he is about 95% blind in both eyes now.

This has been a very emotional week as he can no longer see, let alone work. He is an ER Physician so it is hard for him to stay optimistic with his medical knowledge.

I started him on Vitamin B12, B1, Fish Oil, CoQ10, Acetyl L-Carnitine (desperate measures) yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone's vision ever improved once it has diminished? What is the difference between optic neuritis and optic neuropathy? He has experienced NO pain at all during this ordeal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to nckmartin For This Useful Post:
    jvilensky (01-30-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread