It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Eye Extremely Sensitive To Sunlight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
    Rickarama
    (male)

Rickarama HB User
    Eye Extremely Sensitive To Sunlight

Since April, my left eye has become extremely sensitive to light. All light is bad but sunlight kills it. I'm basically housebound now; I can't go out in the daylight. I've had all kinds of testing done and they say my eyes our fine. They think it must be a branch of the trigeminal nerve that leads to the front of the eye that is causing the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Anyone have it? Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my life back? Sunglasses and hats don't help. It's way beyond that kind of sensitivity to light.

It's also very isolating. Now I can't work; I can't socialize or go anywhere during the daytime. Even going out at night is pretty difficult due to all the headlights. I'm going nuts sitting home all day long and just waiting til it's dark so that at least I can maybe go for a walk around the block.

I also have a TMJ problem on the left side. I think they are somehow related but my TMJ dentist doesn't think they are.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rickarama:
    Kendra01 (08-26-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
    Kendra01
    (female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
    Re: Eye Extremely Sensitive To Sunlight

I feel your pain! I have the same problem. I'll share what I know.

I'm not 100% sure of the cause, but I will say that my opthamologist thinks it is caused due to a condition I have called Salzmann's Nodules. (There is a thread on it below. I have posted on it as has another person who was set to have surgery for the condition.) These nodules are not easily diagnosed. In fact the poster who began that thread had been misdiagosed of her condition. I too was misdiagnosed once by an eye doctor I went to see who was not familiar with my condition. My own opthamologist says the nodules can be misunderstood. So, I would suggest that you make sure you get a second or maybe third opinion from a highly recommended opthamologist.

I am planning on having surgery soon too and hope it will help with my EXTREME light sensitivity. If it helps, I will let you know. If not, we both may be in the same boat.

How long ago did your sensitivity start? Do you ever have periods of improvement? I do, some days are not so bad, but other days, it's almost impossible to function. I have often worn 2 pair of sunglasses outside and watched tv inside with sunglasses on, so I know what it's like.

What makes you think it is a nerve? Have you had an dry eye? I haven't, but everyone seems to think that causes it. I don't.

Have you ever had any cosmetic surgery? I had my upper and lower eyelids done a few years ago and noticed the light sensitivity developed after that.

I do grind my teeth and have had cosmetic dental work done, but the light sensitivity started before my cosmetic work. I have always clenched my teeth, but my problem started about 5 years ago.

It's a terrible problem and I don't know anyone personally who has it but me. Whenever I talk to my doctor about it, I don't think they fully understand how extreme it is.

I'll see if there is any other info that I can forward to you.

Take care.

Last edited by Kendra01; 08-26-2011 at 10:24 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kendra01 For This Useful Post:
    Rickarama (08-27-2011)
    Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
    Rickarama
    (male)

Rickarama HB User

Thanks for responding, Kendra. I did some research on Salzmann's Nodules and it doesn't sound like my problem. I've had my eyes thoroughly checked out by top ophthalmologists and they did all kinds of tests. They couldn't find anything wrong with the eyes themselves, so that's why they think it's a neurological problem. Yeah, I don't know anyone else who has this either, so no one really understands how devastating it is. My whole life has basically ground to a halt.

No, I don't really have any periods of improvement. Wish I did! This all started in April for me. I've never had any cosmetic surgery and I don't have dry eye, either. It's just such a weird problem. I also have hyperacusis in the left ear, which is an extreme sensitivity to all sound. And then I have TMJ, which is worse in the left jaw joint. I just think maybe a nerve is being irritated in there somewhere on that side. I don't know.

But thanks for writing. I hope the surgery goes well for you. Keep me posted!

Last edited by Rickarama; 08-26-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
    Kendra01
    (female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Well, it's good that you don't have nodules. You might look into another condition that causes light sensitivity and that is Anxiety or Panic disorder. It's listed in the list of possible side effects. I don't think we can post links on this board, but you can find it if you google Anxiety and Panic Disrorder. They provide an explanation for why it is common in those with this disorder. Years ago I suffered from Anxiety attacks, but soon after I realized what they were, they subsided and I haven't had one in many years....that I am aware of. It's worth looking into.

I have noticed that my light sensitivity has improved since I starting taking Zyrtec on a daily basis. I'm not sure if that is coincidental or not.

I wish you luck in finding out what's causing yours. Please post if you find out. I'll do the same.

Closed Thread