It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• Childhood strabismus/amblyopia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
    supergirl93
    (female)

supergirl93 HB User
    Talking Childhood strabismus/amblyopia

Hi all,

This is my first post. I'm posting here because I've been contemplating getting surgery for my left eye, which turns in and is a bit droopy. It's been that way since I was a child, and I grew up with eye patches, film, glasses, you name it. I've been wearing glasses for as long as I can remember, and other people usually don't notice my wandering eye. But over the past year or so, it's been more noticeable, and I really want to fix it before it worsens.

I'm not sure if my ophthalmologist told me what the diagnosis of my condition was (I must shamefully confess that my parents usually handled it -- though they just refer to it as "lazy eye" which is the incorrect term). Not to jump the gun and diagnose myself, but it's most likely the case that I have strabismus and amblyopia. I also have double vision. I'm 18, and I've never had surgery before -- but I was told a few years ago that my eyes really aren't that misaligned that far so surgery would be risky. But now, I feel that my condition has worsened, and if I don't wear my glasses for a prolonged period of time, my eyes turns in a lot. My friends comment on it and stare, and sometimes say things about how my left eye sinks lower than my right. I just don't like it. I also don't like how I get neck problems when I write, since I focus a lot using my right (dominant) eye. The vision in my left eye is awful.

I am going to visit my ophthalmologist in a couple months and see what he says.

I was wondering if there's any hope for me to get it fixed -- even if it's just for cosmetics. I don't think there's any hope for my double vision to go away, or much development of binocular vision for that matter, since I've had this problem since childhood...

Either way, your comments and support are much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by supergirl93; 04-22-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
    Laura1000
    (female)

Laura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB UserLaura1000 HB User
    Re: Childhood strabismus/amblyopia

Hi, my name is Laura and I too was born with a 'squint' as I used to call it (in my case I had esotropia) and Strabismus or 'a lazy eye'.
    My squint was severe and was corrected at age 8 to an improved level (this surgery is not always exact). Even my corrected squint during my life, especially at your age caused me issues with my appearance. I'm 39 now and it doesn't matter so much now :-) I genuinely understand your struggle and your desire to correct this cosmetically.

I'm not an expert but I am aware that our brains develop much of learning and understanding of depth perception and 'how the world looks' during our first decade of life, after this our brains are harder to reprogram.
    For this reason, sometimes I think adults who have correction suffer increased double vision as we cannot interpret the image as we have previously learnt.
    That said, it's really important to you and you should talk to an opthalmologist expereinced in this field. Then you can weigh up the advantages against any risk to make the choice thats right for you.

Do you mind if I ask ... were you born prematurely? Sometimes these symptoms you suffer are as a result of being born early. If this is the case then please be sure to inform the opthalmologist as this may give him/her extra challenges.

If I can be of any help with any questions just mail back - and I'll try :-)
    Good luck with making your decision, I really hope its correctable for you,
    Laura

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
    xNinox
    (male)

xNinox HB User
    Re: Childhood strabismus/amblyopia

Hello,

I was just surfing through the board and saw your post.

I had two surgery's to correct my strabismus.

The first one was when I was really young (Maybe around 2 or 3). Everything was fine up untill I was 15... then it returned. I had a second surgery when I was 18 and everything seems to be in check now (I'm currently 23).

If it is recommended I would without doubht go for the surgery. Recovery is generally quick (about 1 week) and you should be good to go.

Closed Thread

Tags
    amblyopia, double vision, eyes, lazy eye, strabismus