It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

• High Myopia... Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
    barkingsquirrel
    (female)

barkingsquirrel HB User
    High Myopia... Help?

Hi there,

I began wearing glasses when I was in 2nd grade... So around 7 years old. I have had high myopia for the past at least 6 years, and my vision is now at -8.00 and -8.75 (Please spare me the "omg thats so high" comments... I know )

I recently went to the optometrist, and she told me my prescription had gotten worse almost a dioptre... My first question is, is that bad? Are there reasons my eyes are decreasing so quickly?

Also, I have always been told my vision would stabilize in my early 20's... However, I'm 22 and my eyes are showing no signs of slowing down. My question is, WHEN on earth will my eyes stabilize?

My horrible vision is honestly such a confidence breaker and I wish I had answers or something I could do about it.... It's really upsetting!

Thank you for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
    urmychesirecat
    (female)

urmychesirecat HB User
    Re: High Myopia... Help?

A dioptre is a significant amount to go up. I have a high prescription too, not as high as yours, but higher than average.

As you get older your eyes change. They age just like the rest of your body. Some peoples eyes dont "stabilize" and their rx will change. But, as you get older your distance vision will actually get better. As that happens though your near vision will start deterriate. That is why people start needing bifocals. As you get close to your 40s or 50s you will notice this start to happen.
    Good luck! (and at least now with the super thin lenses they have we dont have to look goofy wearing glasses.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
    m27
    (male)

m27 HB User
    Re: High Myopia... Help?

Please relax !
    Same issues as yours... Read my old posts. BUT, there is nothing to worry about, just make sure you have retina's checked annually. They are prone to issues because they are stretched extra because of the myopia high number. Do not think "Lasik" even if a practitioner says they can do it. Contacts - sparingly, why aggravate your eyes??
    Anyway, just have fun ! Don't let it erode your confidence, only idiots would not like you because of your thick glasses-you don't need those kind of people anyway. So-treat yourself to a whole wardrode of glasses. Online retailers - and there are many - have loads of colors, styles for less than $15 USD (even in your RX)- so get a color for every mood! My cousin gets 7 at a time at -12. Don't even bother with the thin lenses, because at your rx you will see better with regular plastic-they will try to talk you out of it, so shut them up by saying "its extra pairs, I'm going mountain climbing lol".
    Message me if you have any questions !

M

Closed Thread

Tags
    eyes, glasses, myopia, prescription, vision