It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Alcoholic Husband

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
    Sleepless722
    (female)

Sleepless722 HB User
    Unhappy Alcoholic Husband

I can't sleep so I decided to do some internet searching and came across this site. My husband is a 45 year old alcoholic but refuses to believe he is. We have been married almost 14 years and in the beginning I guess it wasn't prevalent enough for me to notice or I was thinking I could change him. I am lucky he's not abusive but life is going nowhere. All he does is go to work then comes home and drinks until he passes out. On weekends all he does is watch tv and about 3 or 4 starts drinking until he passes out. We used to do things on the weekends, go camping, but now it's almost pulling teeth to get him to do anything.

He usually has 5 -7 drinks a night of two shots vodka and Diet Coke.

Last year we had a major health scare and he was in the hospital for a week. He refused to believe the doctors when they told him that he had a problem. I left him and he quit drinking for about two weeks. Now a year later he is on six different medications. 5 for high blood pressure and one for gout. He has pre diabetes and elevated liver. His stomach is distended and his hygiene is starting to get bad. He also has a slightly enlarged heart.

He had an uncle who died of alcoholism but still refuses that he needs help.

He used to love his job but dreads going in now. He says they don't appreciate him but I am guessing they can't find a reason to fire him so they are trying to make him quit.

I am not strong enough to leave again, but this relationship is not healthy for me or my child.

I don't really have a question, I guess I just needed to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
    renko
    Veteran
    (female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
    Re: Alcoholic Husband

I'm so sorry you are in this situation. Have you gone to Alanon for alcoholic families who deal with alcoholics? They can really help you find support and be strong in setting boundaries with him. You can be strong when you have support and hear stories of other people who are going through what you are going through. It is not good for you or your child to see this kind of behavior of a person you love who is not caring for himself physically, emotionally and not accepting he has a problem. I hope you wills set boundaries with him and have some good family or friends to support you with decisions you have to make to have a better life for you and your child.

Reply Reply