It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Help with detox INSOMNIA!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2003, 01:20 AM   #1
    aylakliq

aylakliq HB User
    Red face Help with detox INSOMNIA!

Please Help Me-
    My boyfriend has been in treatment for four months. It is a six month program to treat people with opiate addictions. My boyfriend's main addiction was oxie pills easilly doing over 80mg a day. He's now in a final stages of recieving the opiate antagonist "buepernorfin?" (or something like it) and his last very small does will be on halloween. His withdrawal symptoms have become very prominent this week. We haven't gotten any sleep in the past three days. He has terrible insomnia, tossing and turning all night- always restless and never comfortable. He's also very sick- though I don't eactly know the extent of it- vomiting and diarreah- as far as I know he isn't having that- but he cold just be hiding it from me. He's a really strong guy and I love him very much and it just KILLS me that I can't help him. I'd like to get him an over the counter sleep aid or some sort of sleep enhancing herbal supplement- but I don't want to get him addicted to them. I fear everyday now that the symptoms are going to get so bad he'll start using once more and I lose him...forever. I just want to help him in some way- if anyone has any ideas on what to do about the fact he can't sleep please post- ANYTHING. If he doesn't sleep he doesn't work- It would be a shame to lose his job over this but I've told him before that If he loses his job because he's going through detox then so be it- I'll take care of us both as long as he makes it through. I'm just worried because his sleeplessness seems to sap him of any desire to do ANYTHING and his restlessness makes me so I can't sleep either- which could cause me to lose MY job. So please- any ifo is appriciated. TIA- Ayla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 05:50 AM   #2
    cetiya
    (female)

cetiya HB User
    I have to admit I gave up trying to sleep naturally after detox and I had to call in sick on my first night back to work cos I had been up for 30 hours. If he can, go to his doctor and ask for a week or two worth of ambein. Once he gets some decent sleep, the insomnia may go away. but it was three weeks after detox and I couldnt sleep. I have missed literally months of work this year alone with sleep problems, back pain and opiate withdrawals. so I would rather become dependent on sleeping pills than get fired. have him go to a sleep disorder doc or his primary care doc and admit he cant sleep. Most of the time they will give you a week or months worth of sleeping pills. if that wont work, you can order sleeping pills over the internet, but they are very expensive. good luck to you and him, getting off drugs is very hard but being on them is harder in a way.

------------------
    Never forget the fallen heros of 9-11

Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 PM   #3
    sweetpoison68
    Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User
    It has been only 2 days since i stoped taking pain meds..I got some xanax from afriend and they are doing the trick.I take 3 a day...so far..I am also taking valerian{find at GNC} at night..I am sleeping like a baby......no leg cramps this time..no pains..cept for lil twinges..from my recent suregery...Please do your reading if you decide to go herbal...Good luck to you and your b/f
    SP68

Old 10-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
    Miaa

Miaa HB User
    Sorry to say,but its been 5 years now and I STILL have trouble sleeping.(now that doesnt mean this will happen to your boyfriend)
    Once I fall asleep Im fine. Ive never had a sleeping problem in my life until I got clean!

I wonder why this happens?

Old 10-11-2003, 06:35 AM   #5
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User
    opiates rob you of your natural sleep....the only opiate that puts you in r.e.m. sleep is bupenorphine use3d to quit addiction to opiates.....sleep deprivation occurs and it takes weeks for natural sleep to return..........

Old 10-12-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
    mdla
    Veteran

mdla HB User
    Does Ambien rob you of REM, I think it does. Im severly addicted. Anything that can get me off? When I try to go with out i have to end up taking one at 6 am to get some z.s

Old 10-21-2003, 01:40 PM   #7
    aylakliq

aylakliq HB User
    Thank you all for your help. I can only wish my boyfriend was as strong as you all are. He's not only not sleeping- he's begging me for percocets, roccocets- anything. I just recently was diagnosed with a kidney infection and he begged me for my pain pills. It kills me to have to say no- since I know he just can't quit cold turkey. He told me he's been using for SEVEN years- we've been together three. He says he didn't know he needed help until the begining of this year. He had to wait until May to get into the Bupe clinic- he put his name on the Methadone Maintanance list and while he was at the clinic, they took him off the list! He needs more help then a couple of lousy 5mg percocets. He went to the ER yesterday after calling a detox center. They told him to go. The ER put a patch on him and gave him four sleeping/relaxer pills and told him to go to the same detox place that sent him to the ER. I've been calling up every rehab facililty we have available to us and they just keep giving me other numbers saying there aren't any beds or the doctors aren't taking any new patients! My boyfriend is going to lose him JOB! He's depressed, moody, sick, tired, anxious, sad, angry- a million different things I can't even imagaine. Why won't anyone help him? What can we possibly do? Is there a place outside of vermont that can help him? I'm starting to think everything is utterly hopeless....

Old 10-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #8
    aylakliq

aylakliq HB User
    Thank you all for your help. I can only wish my boyfriend was as strong as you all are. He's not only not sleeping- he's begging me for percocets, roccocets- anything. I just recently was diagnosed with a kidney infection and he begged me for my pain pills. It kills me to have to say no- since I know he just can't quit cold turkey. He told me he's been using for SEVEN years- we've been together three. He says he didn't know he needed help until the begining of this year. He had to wait until May to get into the Bupe clinic- he put his name on the Methadone Maintanance list and while he was at the clinic, they took him off the list! He needs more help then a couple of lousy 5mg percocets. He went to the ER yesterday after calling a detox center. They told him to go. The ER put a patch on him and gave him four sleeping/relaxer pills and told him to go to the same detox place that sent him to the ER. I've been calling up every rehab facililty we have available to us and they just keep giving me other numbers saying there aren't any beds or the doctors aren't taking any new patients! My boyfriend is going to lose him JOB! He's depressed, moody, sick, tired, anxious, sad, angry- a million different things I can't even imagaine. Why won't anyone help him? What can we possibly do? Is there a place outside of vermont that can help him? I'm starting to think everything is utterly hopeless....

Old 10-21-2003, 03:06 PM   #9
    OxyBoy

OxyBoy HB User
    Same works for rapid detox. I went 7 days and 7 nights over and over w/n sleep. OTC pills, even Ambien won't help. You have to gut it out, it does get better, and the only way to speed it up is to increase physical activity no matter how much it hurts.

You have to be prepared even if he does kick. The re-addiction rate is highest with opiate addicts.

Also, expect the "pleasure centers" of his brain to nonfunction. He might seem like a zombie...extreme lethargy with no sleep.

Very bleak, for all of us.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #10
    rudder

rudder HB User
    You are looking for another detox center outside of Vermont?

If you are willing to drive to the Portland, Maine area, you can call the Mercy Recovery Center in Westbrook, Maine. They are a very good detox center.
    Good Luck
    Rudder

Closed Thread