It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• My son huffing gasoline

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
    kaitlinsnana

kaitlinsnana HB User
    My son huffing gasoline

I'm going to try to make a long, sad story short. My son who is now 25 was almost born an addict. From the time he was about 12 he experimented with anything he could get his hands on including inhallants. As he grew older I realized that it probably didn't matter what the substance was, he just was hell bent on altering his mind somehow with something.

He married, bought a house, had a child, and reverted to huffing. Understand, he drank, did every drug aroung, but in the end, gas is free, it's everywhere and you can steal it from peoples cars. His wife has now filed for divorce and has a temporary restraining order to keep him away from their daughter in his sorry state. For the first time ever I have enforced my decision not to provide a safe haven for him to run to. The police have found him three times within the last two weeks in a sorry state parked in his truck. They call us to come and get him and the truck - if there is a charge they can make they haven't. I told him and myself that if he didn't go into some sort of rehab this time he could NOT come back. Now his truck is parked at the side of my house (out of gas I'm sure) and he's in the woods someplace with a gas can. It's cold and rainey and I am so sad about the whole thing. I don't want him out in the woods like an animal (he doesn't care about food or water or anything at all).

Any advice at all would be a help. I should add that he's been in lots of rehab programs along the way (one with a locked door for juveniles) and nothing yet has helped for more than a couple of days. Can you guys offer anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2003, 10:38 PM   #2
    Jerri1

Jerri1 HB User
    My heart goes out to you sweetie.But until he's ready to quit whatever it is theres nothing you can do.Tough love is the best thing for you right now and from the sounds of it thats what your tring to do.He has to hit the bottom before hes going to climb back up.Stick to your guns and remember you are doing what has to be done to maybe some how bring him to his senses.By letting him back in would only be inabling him cause he knows you'll be there everytime he needs something.I wish I could help you more but please stick to your plan.And if I can help in anyway please just ask and I'll do my best to help you.I'll be praying for strenth and peace of mind for you sweetie. Love ya..Jerri

Old 11-09-2003, 05:56 AM   #3
    toomany
    (female)

toomany HB User
    My heart aches for you.

I wish I had some words of wisdom but I don't right now. I am the mother of a 20 year old that is struggling too. He was able to get himself into the Navy but has aready ended up in the hospital, without a clue as to how he got there. It was alcohol related but it really doesn't matter what substance he uses, he goes all the way. I have to say he came by it naturally. His Mom and Dad both come from addictive background....his Dad would dispute that.

Stick around, there will be someone that shows up, with maybe a different insight. But nonetheless you will get some support. Are you in any support meetings for yourself? You may find them helpful, but I know they are not for everyone. But some sort of support system would be good for you.

Don't enable, but don't give up. HE may decide he's had enough, then would be the time to extend a helping hand up.

I'm rambling.

Take care,
    Patty

Closed Thread