It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Hydrocodone & Methadone - Help for Wife

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
    aNewman
    (male)

aNewman HB User
    Hydrocodone & Methadone - Help for Wife

Dear Good People,

I'm a first time poster here, so I hope I'm doing this right. My wife informed me about this board a couple of days ago, so I've spent several hours reading messages. I hoped that I would have found the answer to my question without having to post, but haven't found it yet. Hopefully without overkill, please allow me to tell her story and my question:

My wife is mid-40's -- we've been married for 22+ years and have 3 beautiful children. In the mid-1980's, my wife sought help for Depression/Anxiety/Panic Attacks. At some point in the quest for help, a doctor prescribed Prozac (new at the time), and it seemed to give life back to her. She has been on it continuously ever since.

Fast-forwarding to October 2003, my wife reluctantly admitted a 3-4 year pattern of Hydrocodone use; starting with a pill every now and then, escalating up to 10-12 pills each day (5.0 or 7.5, not 10). As I understand it, the original reason for the prescription was headaches associated with menstrual cycle. The reason for continued and increased use (over a year ago) was to provide energy to counteract the "dragging effect" of Prozac, AND to prevent what she discovered to be the flu-like symptons of withdrawal.

By April of this year, we made several attempts at our own weaning process, but finally saw this as a vicious cycle and sought the help of our family physician. He admitted that he was not an expert on the subject of opiate addiction, but indicated that he knew which drug was used -- Methadone.

Based on her 500-750 mg/day use of Hydro, he determined a starting point of 40 mg/day of Meth. (which she had a hard time taking) and within 3-4 days dropped to 35mg/day. Over the last 4 months, we've tapered her down to 10 mg/day (for roughly two weeks) and yesterday was her last 5 mg.

I explained this whole thing to one of our other doctors yesterday, and he said that she should be to a point of stepping away from Methadone without any withdrawals. My wife would love to hear that fact from someone who's been there!

She has also read enough on boards and in books to know that there are Methadone programs that believe in "methadone maintenance" for life -- and she wants to believe that that's OK as long as it keeps her feeling "normal."

She also worries (from her reading) that "if this is not done right" then she will relapse and again be craving Hydro.

My gut feeling is that she was on a small amount of Hydro (compared to others that we've heard of) and subsequently a small amount of Methadone, therefore, shouldn't we expect that any withdrawals be minor? This is my main question.

Assuming that this "step away" is really IT, what advice does anyone have in dealing the mental side of being drug free (for someone who's been accustomed to taking pills for so long).

I appreciate your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User
    Re: Hydrocodone & Methadone - Help for Wife

For one thing she'll need to get some help.....meetings at AA, NA and or Smart Recovery. That'll help with the mental part. As far as methadone goes....she's in for trouble if she goes that route. That's just my opinion but I think it would be easier to just kick the hydros. Methadone is a mean kick. You might want to get a second opinion on that one.

Old 08-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
    murphy65
    (male)

murphy65 HB User

I think she is already taking the methadone and weaning off of it.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
    aNewman
    (male)

aNewman HB User
    Exclamation Re: Hydrocodone & Methadone - Help for Wife

Quote:
    Originally Posted by windysan
    As far as methadone goes....she's in for trouble if she goes that route. That's just my opinion but I think it would be easier to just kick the hydros. Methadone is a mean kick. You might want to get a second opinion on that one.
    Thanks for the reply!! She did start group meetings last week.

This is what I'm trying to figure out...

It's been 4 months since she had a substantial amount of Hydro.

In that 4 months she has been on a continuous taper (40mg - 10mg) of Methodone. Is it likely that she can quit the Methodone now without any withdrawals?

She's predicting "the aches" and wanting Propoxophene to help deal with it. That makes me feel that we're opening another can of worms, but I don't want to see her suffer. She probably has enough Xanax to keep her sedated for a couple of days.

Any ideas as to what her next few days will be like? Advice to make it better?

Old 08-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #5
    DallasAli
    (female)

DallasAli HB User

Hi,

I just started methadone after being on hydrocodone and other opiates and benzos for over 20 years. I am 47 and understand the premenstrual headaches and fatigue she feels. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, but I was already addicted way before that.

About the meth, because of the length of time I've been using opiates, I was started at 30 mgs, and am now stablilized at 105 mgs./day. I don't want to be on it forever, but I am aware that some folks do just that and feel and live totally normal lives. That's the point of the meth, to "get back to normal," and whatever that is for each person...the best thing is you do know it when you feel it. I was stable for awhile at 60 mgs. and then w/ds hit really bad just out of the blue! I was increased 5 mgs. a time for 1 to 3 days to see what dose was working. I stayed at 100 mgs. for 10 days, and then boom, some physical cravings and insomnia again. My clinic's dr. wants me to go very slow as I am very undisciplined and prone to relapse.

I have only been on the methadone program for 6 weeks, so I have no idea what the future holds, but I am already in a better place than I was. I now have a job and am not adding to my huge pile of debt and consumed with the "worrying merry-go-round" we create over how to get our next script...your wife knows what I mean.

The other poster is right on about the support. I am alone and I am just now looking into meetings, etc. Your wife is fortunate to have you with her : )
    The only thing I have heard that is disoncerting to me about meetings is that from what I've read, some are very "hardcore" in that the line of thinking is that you are only clean if you are not on any drug of any kind and that using drugs like methadone or suboxone to stave off the withdrawals is not really being off drugs but more like trading in one drug for another. I've decided to go and just not tell that I'm on the meth and hope that I can still get some ideas and tools to help deal with having given up my pills--my best friends--that have been with me for more than half my life.

Good luck, and I'd like to stay in touch as I'm anxious about when (or if) the time comes to get off the meth. Some chronic pain patients end up abusing their methadone and from what I've read, that is when they've crossed over from dependence to addiction. It's all really just semantics, though, wouldn't you say? I mean, if we feel and think we're addicted to something, then we probably are addicts as I think we know ourselves the best...

Best wishes, good luck, and I'm very happy for you both for your wife's success!

Dallas Alice

Old 08-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Oh. She's already on the methadone. Gotcha. If she's a taperer and isn't prone to addictive behaviors then she should get through it. It will probably be difficult but she should be okay. Watch out for that Xanax....that stuff is evil. The Xanax could be the most worrisome component. Make sure she uses the Xanax only for a very short time.

Old 08-28-2004, 05:52 AM   #7
    aNewman
    (male)

aNewman HB User

Thanks Alice,

Good Luck with your methadone program. This somewhat blows me away that you were started on 30mg and increased up to 105mg!! Do they do blood tests or urinalysis to determine where you need to be?? Is there talk of an "end" when you'll be taken off of the methadone? If so, I'd love to know how they'll go about it!

As far as support groups, I think they are great. Being able to see and hear someone with the same or worse issues should be comforting. My wife would love to just sit in a room full of people that have come through this, hearing that "it can be done." Regarding your thoughts, you may want to just sit and listen to a few meetings. When you do decide to share, don't hide anything!! Drug Free is Drug Free. There would be no benefit in you leaving the meeting with a guilty conscience!

It truly hurts me to hear you think of meds as your "best friend." They are your worst enemy, robbing you (and those around you) of a much happier life!! Are you familiar with the song, "What a Friend We Have In Jesus" -- now there's a true friend, forever!
    My wife and I were both raised Southern Baptist churches. She has stopped going, but I go every week -- usually with the kids. There is not a sermon that goes by that I fail to hear something I feel would be inspirational to her. Anyway, my point is that church can be good therapy, good socially, and a place to develop a Friend (that will not let you down) for eternity!

Keep us posted on you progress!!

aNewman

Old 08-28-2004, 06:13 AM   #8
    aNewman
    (male)

aNewman HB User

Well, I'm afraid you touched on two of the problems:

1. She IS prone to addictive behavior.

2. She's used Xanax for a long time.

We had never really discussed addictive behaviors until recently. She has stated that it's a good thing that she doesn't like alcohol or else she'd be an alcoholic. I guess she knows herself better than anyone, so at least she's not in denial about that. Do you see that as something that would prohibit a weaning process? She claims to be too much of a wimp to attempt cold turkey!

As far as Xanax, she has always had some available to stave off the "hits of anxiety" whenever the Prozac wasn't dealing with it. There was a time when she was on a good bit of it and her dr weaned her off without any problems. In the last few months, she has been taking one only at night to help her sleep. Last night, she took a few because I think she's very anxious about running out of Methodone and Propoxyphene at the same time -- so she just wants to sleep through this ordeal.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
    ReggaeKy

ReggaeKy HB User

It sounds to me like she's doing really good. I am on methadone, now weaning off and at 67 mg. I was started at 30 and went up to 80 and stopped at 80 mg for one year. I've been on methadone a total of 3 years and started weaning a few months ago. My problem started with 3 herniated discs and degenerative disc disease, trying to put off surgery as long as I could and ended up taking up to 10-15 hydrocodone 10 mg tablets per day. I knew I needed help and started the Methadone Program. It saved me. There's always going to be others worse off and better off, so try not to compare her with anybody else. Different things work better for different people, so it's very different for everybody. But as far as the drugs themselves, there are clinical studies made using clinical trials and most drugs are studied very thoroughly and the experts know how they should work for most people. But your wife sounds like she's got a plan and she's sticking to it. Without us addictive type behavior people in this world, it sure would be a dull place, wouldn't it!!!???? LOL. Yes, I know it would! The world would stop turning! LOL. We make it very interesting, to say the least. IMHO. Have a great day.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:46 AM   #10
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

The Xanax can be a huge problem if you let it. It is best to do without that crap because, as with other dope, it eventually stops working. She'll hit tolerance and the current dose will have little to no effect. If you find she's cheating with her "taper" then the best bet would be to let her cold turkey in a detox where she'll be safe and it will be fairly smooth. There will be some pain but the detox professionals will not let her get too uncomfortable.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #11
    aNewman
    (male)

aNewman HB User

Yes, I'm worried about the Xanax being a problem too. She has kept me conviced that she only takes it at bedtime, but she apparently took about ten 0.5 pills last night (and wondered why she woke up at all). How much would be lethal? I want her out of pain, but I also want her to wake up!

She asked me to get a refill for her, but I hate the thought of having this stuff in the house!

Thoughts please!!!

A

Old 08-28-2004, 10:37 AM   #12
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

Opiates and benzos(Xanax, Valium, Klonipin, Librium....and others) is a LETHAL combination. Please keep in mind that if she does methadone and a benzo together it may KILL her. My friend's 19-year-old son took methadone and klonipin then went to sleep forever. He did the Jimi Hendrix thing....drowned in his own vomit. I don't want to scare you but you need to know that the opiate/xanax combination is very serious. What happens is that the opiate will cause nausea/vomiting and she'll be so knocked out by the Xanax that she won't be able to roll over. Make sure that she sleeps on her side for now. If she's eating piles of Xanax then she has a BIG problem. If it were my wife I'd check her *** into a detox then follow up with a 28 day rehab. Fooling with this tapering crap while she's still gobbling benzos is ridiculous. She'll make up a million excuses not to go to detox/rehab.....I've heard them all. Xanax has a very short "half-life" and what she'll end up doing is waking up in the middle of the night, gobbling a handful, then passing out again. She'll use the Xanax to "sleep through" the withdrawals of the opiates. Please take this very seriously.....it sounds like she's in DEEP TROUBLE. You need to let the doc know what she's doing with the benzos too. Remember that methadone(and/or opiates) and benzos DO NOT MIX. Please be careful. It sounds like she will have a hard time "tapering". Not many true addicts can do a taper....not many at all.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #13
    aNewman
    (male)

aNewman HB User

This is the kind of stuff I need to hear. I have learned more than I've ever wanted to know about meds, but I guess there is always more to learn. I'm not familiar with the term Benzo (assuming that Xanax fits into that catagory), but I'm aware that certain combinations can be harmful.

Right now, she's staying isolated (I'm keeping watch on her) and hasn't had access to Methadone since Thursday (when she took her last 5mg -- that was all she had that day).

As far as detox/rehab, I think that that is something she's dreaded all her life. She's never been or even talked to anyone who's been (as far as I know). I think, no I know, that 90% of her reluctance has to do with worry of what her family and friends will think of her. This is a case of Pride being her 2nd worse enemy.

Also regarding the Xanax, she has expressed that the Generic (Alprazolam 0.5) that she has been taking is so much weaker than the brand name that she justifies taking more than prescribed -- or gets caught up in the "take as needed for anxiety" as printed on the label...either way, how much is too much?!?

Thanks for your help!!

A

Old 08-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #14
    RebeccaW62

RebeccaW62 HB User

I think is great that you are supportive of your wife, however, it is like a couple having a baby. Only the woman actually "has" the baby. Although her addiction has caused you problems, the drug addiction belongs to your wife. You can be supportive but it is up to her to do it. Why isn't she posting? Why are you posting for her? You say your wife would love to hear about this and that. How do you know? Let you wife talk for herself. If my husband kept saying "our" withdrawals I would kick him you know where! They are "my" withdrawals. You (the husband) are facing something totally different.

I don't mean to be rude, please don't take it is that. I think it is important for the addict to take ownership of his/her disease. I know you are trying to help and that is great. But let her do it. That way, she will have a sense of accomplishment. It is like a kid who doesn't want to mow the lawn. And then you make them do it all by themselves and they are so proud they did it. They hated doing it, but they have a sense of accomplishment. Don't rob your wife of that.

I know you don't want her to suffer but she needs to to remember what it was like and not go back. She has to learn from her mistakes so she can play the tape all the way forward the next time a doctor or friend says, "You want any?" And it will happen. A good meaning friend will offer. You won't be around. She has to face the devil down herself. She has to know she can do it. Not that you can do it. Not that you can help her do it. But that SHE can do it.

You need to read my post on propoxyphene. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have been there too. The only thing we can share is our experience, strength, and hope. I think you are right. It will open another can of worms. (My post of that is under the thread where someone on this board is asking for an explanation between Darvocet and percs. Propoxyphene is the generic word for Darvocet.) Read if you can find it.

Wife- Good luck to you. You can do it.

Methodone withdrawal I heard is the pits. Worse than hydro, cocaine, alcohol put together.

Last edited by RebeccaW62; 08-28-2004 at 12:34 PM.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #15
    RebeccaW62

RebeccaW62 HB User

DallasAlice-Those hardcore N.A. members and A.A. members can go to hell! You get the help you need and don't worry about them. You will find adversity where ever you go and these places are no exception. I have been to both. Most A.A. groups where I live do not like junkies in there meetings. But each group is different. If you don't have a problem with alcohol, although they say a drug is a drug and alcohol is a drug, you may want to go to a N.A. meetings (Narcotics Anonymous). I don't have a pyschological dependence on alcohol and won't say that I have, and I can't mention pain pills in most of the AA groups around here where I live. (Alabama). I have been asked to leave a group before. This group said that they don't like Rif Raf in there meetings so no junkies please. lol Drug addicts are Rif Raf and alcoholics aren't? Is that not a hoot? I used to drive a Mercedes.

Anyway, I feel more at home in N.A. meetings because you can talk about drug use. My drug of choice is hydro. I don't tell them I am on Suboxone because it is none of their business. You may want to tell your sponsor though. You need a sponsor and the meeting chairman will help you find one. This is a person you can trust with your life. If you can't, find another one. Views differ on the Suboxone/Methodone treatment. To me, what ever keeps you away from your drug of choice. Taking hydro almost ruined my life. Suboxone has given me my life back. So there is a difference. Again, view points differ. I know one guy who thought you weren't clean if you were on an anti depressant. What? Anti depressants aren't making my life out of control the hydro is. Hydro is what I was seeking help for. I didn't let his opinion of anti depressants keep me from taking them or keep me from going to meetings. This guy had told a woman she shouldn't take anit depressants if she wanted to be clean. She went home and committed suicide. Remember, these people (most) are not doctors. They aren't your doctor anyway. Seek the advice of your physican and stick to it. Take what you want from these meetings and leave the rest there. That is what they say. They also say, some are sicker then others. This is true.

Find a group near you and give it a try. Keep going until to you find the group you feel the most comfortable with. I think you will like the support. You will hear stories that make mine and yours pale in comparison. Some meetings you cry some you laugh. I enjoy them. I know I can say whatever is bothering me and someone will say, "Me too!" It is nice to know you aren't alone. It is like this board only in person. Don't expect to be babied or pittied though. They aren't into that. You own your addiction and these people know it. They have been there, done that.

I hope I didn't give you the impression these people are mean. They aren't. They just hold you accountable which is good. No pitty party here. They will tell you fast to, "Get off the pitty pot" which is also good. It is not a group where people gather around and cry about their using. They want you to get clean, stay clean. Clean up your life and keep coming back.

Okay okay. The group is about attraction not promotion. I hope I didn't break a N.A. tradition here. We don't go to pharmacies and hand out brochures. But I feel someone with an admitted addiction needs encouragement to go. If you didn't feel you had an addiction, I wouldn't be encouraging these meetings to you. I just want you to have encouragement not discouragement because of what you heard about some hardcore addicts. That is what they are-hardcore addicts.

Let me know if you go and what you think. Good luck to you. Again, I love your story. I love to hear other people's stories. Usually, you find you aren't alone. There is always someone who has been there too. Me too!

Closed Thread