It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• ULTRACET: Addictive?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
    Blondee15
    Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
    ULTRACET: Addictive?

My sister is now recovering from her narcotic addiction, she has been clean for a few weeks now but still has pain issues. She wants to take Ultracet now to deal with the pain. This awful doctor who in the first place was precribing her all these pain meds is going to give it to her(can you believe that??) but she won't listen to any other doctor but this one so we're stuck. I told her Ultracet is addicting she says it's not. Can anyone help me with pulling up proof that it is in fact addictive or offer any personal stories with tramadol?
    I personally couldn't handle the stuff.. much too strong for me, had me heavily sedated, breathing depressed & at the same time coughing, itching all over, bad trips, super dizzy- couldn't get up, throat swelled up shut, i'd fall asleep doing anything including eating.. it was awful. I don't know why anyone would want to take that.
    But please if anyone could give me some sources on Ultracet addiction.. thank you all so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
    dsny

dsny HB User
    Re: ULTRACET: Addictive?

Ultracet is not a narcotic but it is addicting because it acts the same way a narcotic does.You have the exact same problems with ultracet or ultram as you would Vicodin and all the nasty withdrawals that go with it.Good Luck

Old 09-22-2004, 06:23 AM   #3
    kim32

kim32 HB User

Hi, Yes Ultram is a Narcotic, ALOT of the doctors whom I had saw for my chronic nerve pain said that it was and that the FDA is going to label it as a narcotic pretty soon.
    It is "very" addicting. I finally got off of it (it's been 6 weeks now)
    because my pain level has gone down, but the ultram made me soooooooooooooo sick with chronic headaches but I kept taking it because it helped with my nerve pain, go figure.
    I am still having a rough time (physcially) with the withdrawals, the first few weeks were horrible, it has lessened but my feet still tingle all of the time, I have these awful headaches, and I feel really agitated/anxious all of the time.
    I just want to feel normal again! :-(
    Some people can stop ultram without having any problems, but then there are some like me who have a terrible time trying to get off of them and also have physcial symptoms for a long time after stopping it.
    I heard from other people (on other message boards) that it will get better but it just takes a long time (like maybe up to a year) UGH!!
    Sometimes I feel as tho I will feel like this forever, it's just awful.
    But at the time when I took it (I was on it for 14 months) my nerve pain was so bad that all I would do is cry, so I was desperate for any kind of relief.
    But now I'm paying for the price of being on ultram.
    I never thought that a pill like that could make you feel awful for months even after stopping taking it.
    Some doctors will tell you that it's NOT a narcotic just because it's not a schedule substance, but don't believe everything that they tell you.
    It is!
    So I hope I answered your question in some way.
    Kim

Old 09-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #4
    jenny1973

jenny1973 HB User

This is just as evil of a drug as any other pain med. I took it to help me get off hydros thinking it was non-addictive. Alls I did was trade one addiction for another. Eventually ended up in rehab. When i told the doctors there what I was coming off of they just shook their head in disgust. I told them I was told it was non-addictive and they said they are seeing alot of that and its absoulutely untrue. You really need to search the internet and find any info you can. I had a horrible time coming off those and I even went thru a medical detox. It took a few months before I felt like myself again. I will never touch those pills again. I can't say I will never use again, but if I do it certainly won't be ultram! I hope you can find the info you need! Good Luck to you and your sister!
    Jenny

Old 09-22-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
    dsny

dsny HB User

Tramadol hydrochloride is a centrally acting analgesic. The chemical name for tramadol hydrochloride is ()cis-2- [(dimethylamino)methyl]-1-(3-methoxyphenyl) cyclohexanol hydrochloride. The molecular weight of tramadol hydrochloride is 299.8.

Tramadol hydrochloride is a white, bitter, crystalline and odorless powder. It is readily soluble in water and ethanol and has a pKa of 9.41. The water/n-octanol partition coefficient is 1.35 at pH 7.

Ultram tablets contain 50 mg of tramadol hydrochloride and are white in color. Inactive ingredients in the tablet are corn starch, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, sodium starch glycolate, titanium dioxide and wax.

Not a narcotic but binds to opiate receptors.

Closed Thread