It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Not sure boyfriend is using Herion? other Drug?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #16
    KFld
    Veteran
    (female)

KFld HB User
    Re: Not sure boyfriend is using Herion? other Drug?

My son came home from detox a week ago. He is a heroin addict. He is 18 and clean for one week, hopefully forever.
    I spent a month or two, people here would know from how long I've been posting, trying to figure out what he was doing. He was snorting heroin. Turned out he started with oxy's a year ago, or so, and then switched to heroin and used it daily for the last six months or so.
    I found cut up pens and straws in his room constantly and he kept telling me they were from a few years back from when him and his friends used to snort his ritalin once in a while. They kept showing up and he kept telling me that they were under his bed when he pulled something out, or behind his dresser, but that they were old. I knew he smoked pot and he kept looking more and more stoned, but I thought the fact that he was eating was a good sign that was all he was doing. He started sleeping a lot, always complaining he was tired and I was constantly hearing him sniffling in the bathroom, whereever he went. Two weeks ago yesterday we were out and got a phone call from his girlfriend that him and his friend had been arrested. I went to get him and he had been arrested for posession of heroin. He was already going through withdrawals by the time they released him because he had been there for a few hours and apparently hadn't used for a few hours before, and he admitted to me he had a problem. 2 days later he was in detox. I watched him the day we admitted him go through withdrawals for 6 or 7 hours before they put him on anything to relieve the withdrawals, and I pray that I never ever have to watch that again.
    Anyway, the signs for me were the cut up pens, these little paper, almost like was paper bags that were open at both ends? He said that is the way it comes, and just starting to catch him in a ton of lies. He also got arrested about a month ago for steeling sneakers because I gave him 70 dollars for them and he bought drugs instead and had to come home with the sneakers.
    He started hanging out with all these strange people and they all started showing up at my house. I would ask him all the time if he was doing anything but smoking pot and even home tested him a few times, which somehow came out negative? He kept telling me we were nuts, that he has seen people do it and what it did to there lives and that he would never touch it. One of his friends would come over and spend 20 minutes in my bathroom every time he walked in the door and when I questioned that he told me he had a digestive problem. I would hear the water running in there the entire time and then find wet wash cloths on the counter. My son later admitted that this kid was shooting up in my bathroom.
    I don't know if any of these things help you or ring a bell, but this is just what I saw in my son and his friends. I know the long showers have come in during withdrawals for my son because he said it really helps, but he wasn't doing that before. Actually he wasn't showering much and looked like crap, now that I think about it. Very skinny and un kept for a while. Now he showers every morning and his eyes look good. I look at them everytime he walks in the door. I can't believe how white the eyes of his eyes look. Everyone notices it.

Good luck and I hope you get your answer. Just keep in the back of your head that there isn't much you can do about it until he wants it, if there is a problem. I learned that myself and it's not easy. My son has a loving family, a nice home and his car to stay clean for, besides himself. He has a lot more to loose them most of his friends, so I have to pray that is enough. He attends an intensive outpatient program and meetings most other nights, but is keeping himself busy with his car and spending his money on his stereo equipment and car parts

Keep in touch and let us know what happens. There are a lot of great people on this board and I don't know how I would be doing this without them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 08:05 AM   #17
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User
    Re: Not sure boyfriend is using Herion? other Drug?

KFld is right on with all the signs you see, but as a parent, you just deny and deny.

You just don't want it to be true and you almost welcome the endless lies your children tell you.

The fact is that there is not much you can do and you recognize it, so believing the lies is the easy way out.

Pray, man, pray. It is the best medicine.

Closed Thread