It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Heroin - Can you really kick it? Wife of addict

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
    dagnab
    (female)

dagnab HB User
    Unhappy Heroin - Can you really kick it? Wife of addict

Looking for words of advise from anyone who has been able to beat heroin or tried. I'm beginning to think it is impossible. My husband has been using for about 2 years. The past year the worst. He has been in 2 rehabs. The second time, this past May, seemed the most promising. But alas, always a relapse with crying and yelling and promises (sometimes) of it not happening again. He is on methadone - 100mg daily. He thought for sure this would be what he needed. He has 3 degenerated discs in his back and 1 in his neck. Last November he had spinal fusion on the bottom 2 discs. However, he is still in consistent pain. His addiction started with vicodin, then Oxy - all prescribed. Then when he would run out of Oxy - he had a "friend" who would sell them to him. What a friend. Then friend gets busted and cant get him Oxy but turns him on to heroin and then begins the love affair. I have never hated anything more than I hate heroin. He is a good father and a stand up guy but heroin ......... I'm scared he may be one of those people you hear about that are never able to kick it. Like its embedded in his DNA now. Anyone have any encouraging words pass them on ....feeling kinda blue......thanks......

Last edited by dagnab; 12-06-2004 at 07:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 05:19 AM   #2
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User
    Re: Heroin - Can you really kick it? Wife of addict

He has the tools given him in rehab but he might need to go on an extended stay(9 months or so) in order to stay clean. If he's on 100mg of methadone then he'll have to work down is dose to about 10mgs before a detox will give him a bed. It sounds like he needs a long-term treatment facility. It'll be difficult but it isn't impossible.

Old 12-07-2004, 06:44 AM   #3
    goddessdana
    Inactive

goddessdana HB User
    Red face Re: Heroin - Can you really kick it? Wife of addict

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagnab
    Looking for words of advise from anyone who has been able to beat heroin or tried. I'm beginning to think it is impossible. My husband has been using for about 2 years. The past year the worst. He has been in 2 rehabs. The second time, this past May, seemed the most promising. But alas, always a relapse with crying and yelling and promises (sometimes) of it not happening again. He is on methadone - 100mg daily. He thought for sure this would be what he needed. He has 3 degenerated discs in his back and 1 in his neck. Last November he had spinal fusion on the bottom 2 discs. However, he is still in consistent pain. His addiction started with vicodin, then Oxy - all prescribed. Then when he would run out of Oxy - he had a "friend" who would sell them to him. What a friend. Then friend gets busted and cant get him Oxy but turns him on to heroin and then begins the love affair. I have never hated anything more than I hate heroin. He is a good father and a stand up guy but heroin ......... I'm scared he may be one of those people you hear about that are never able to kick it. Like its embedded in his DNA now. Anyone have any encouraging words pass them on ....feeling kinda blue......thanks......
    First of all you CAN kick it. My S/O has helped people kick it. He was a drug and alcohol counselor for 8 years. Seen some sad cases. He's not doing it for pain control anymore. YOU NEED TO ACCEPT THIS!!!! If he can get into a GOOD rehab anything is possible. I don't know where youre from. But if you look online for Drug Recovery Inc in Oklahoma City Oklahoma, I'm positive they can help you. They are just here in Oklahoma but maybe they can point you and your's in the right direction. YOU NEED to go to alanon for support. But be careful because some of those people will give bad advice. There are good ala-non groups but there are some bad ones out there you just find whats right for you. The methadone in my S/O opinion WILL NOT HELP HIM KICK THE HABIT!!!!! It's just as bad as the heroin itself!!!!!!! Thats all it is man made heroin!!! He's seen some people thats said it's made them worse then better. He really sounds like he needs some VERY LONG TERM TREATMENT no 29 day programs!!!!!!! He needs long term intensive treatment.
    He needs to get detoxed first of all and I'm talking about a medical detox!!!!!!!!! Next get him into a long term drug recovery program!!! First would be residential but it all depends on the type of treatment he needs. there's a lot of variables. everyone is different. But he also needs to go to a drug treatment program that understands pain management and not all of them do. some think that not everyone needs pain med's. Like the condition your hubbys in with back and all, he's GONNA HAVE TO BE ON SOME KIND OF PAIN MANAGEMENT!!!!! My hubby was a horrible drug addict and alcoholic, he spent 18 months in DRI but he had a lot of issues to deal with most people are there 9 months to a year. My hubby was a rare case because he had a lot of issues to deal with. But anyways moral of his story he got his crap togather became a drug and alcohol couselor, and is doing great. He's in pain management except he has Reflex Sympathetic dystrophy syndrome and ankylosing spondylitis, broke back, broke neck, has every disk in his neck but the top one either bulging herniated or compressed and two bone spurs there, he has 3 disks like that in mid back, then four like that in lower back not too mention he also has severe nerve damage. Surgery is not an option with dale or any doctor!!! Any kind of surgery can make the rsds worse!!! I sympathize with you. I have lived with alcoholics and drug addicts and it's not easy to deal with. This monster of addiction is really gonna be testing your marriage and love for each other. You'll either make it or break it. But try youre best to stick it out with him. Was he a drug addict before his accident or after? Also check out Drug Recovery INC In Oklahoma City Oklahoma. they are an awesome program and they really saved my S/O's life!!! If anything at least maybe you can get pointed in the right direction or at least be able to talk to someone about some options you can take. They have a national register they have a list of every treatment center all over america. ASSUMING you are from North america Anyways if you ever need to talk. I come in a lot in the health boards. I usually go to birth control, pain management, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome. I don't know what made me come in here I think youre topic caught my attention. And remember he has to have THE WILL TO QUIT!!! NO Excuses, No promises, No Cop Out's. He has to want the help. If he's quitting for you to save your marriage. It won't work. My S/O has seen so many cases of people trying to quit for sake of thier spouses. thats not a reason to quit. The reasons has to be HE WANTS TO STOP!! HE NEEDS TO STOP. It sounds as if this is getting worse and worse and worse. But you can't make him quit he has to want to. you can't give him ultimatums either. HE HAS TO HAVE THE WILL TO QUIT AND THE WANT TO QUIT. If you ever want to talk I'm usually stalking the boards about this time of morning 8AM central time- 10 am. Me and S/O is here for you.

PS
    It also sounds like he needs a VERY GOOD pain management doc to help him. From what it sounds to me is there was either not enough communication with his doc or the doc is not a good pain management doc. Most GOOD PM doc's will say ok the vicodin isn't working, let's try oxycontin for a month see how you do. that don't work then the doc can change to patches or something which will give 24 hr pain relief. He may also need a breakthrough pill. But in the same breath i need to say this. Youre hubby NEEDS TO TAKE HIS PAIN MEDICATION AS THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBES!!! Not take an extra because he hurts if he's hurting and that pain medication is not working then the doc needs to switch to another stronger pain med. It's all about communication!!!!!! Unfortunatly thats how people get labled druggies not to say your hubby is NOT drug addicted because he IS!!!!!! If he's doing heroin he's addicted. But your in a sticky situation because he's now using heroin. Peopl take thier pain med's doubled because they hurt. Thats how you get labled a druggie( lack of communication with your doc.). he just needs good pain management and a good treatment center that understands some people DO NEED Pain med's. I do wish you the best. Like I said if you ever need to talk we are usually around. Good luck me and S/O will pray for ya'll.

Last edited by goddessdana; 12-07-2004 at 06:57 AM. Reason: need to add something

Old 12-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
    pearce28

pearce28 HB User

It is possible. I have three years clean and it was a long road to it. I also went through two methadone clinics with the last one having me on 200 mg. What I found is that the methadone is the hardest of all to quit and not want again. I am sorry you are going through this. One of three things will happen, he will hit a bottom where he just can't stand it anymore and quit with a very long road of seriously recovering ahead of that but you do get back to normal, you die, or you wind up in jail only to get out and pick a path. The thing is when you do get clean the cravings after the w/d are very strong. The depression one time two months clean convinced me that I would just have to live the rest of my life on methadone and it was the only way for me to be normal again. I felt like the only time I felt right and got anything done was when I slipped twice and took someone else's methadone. Eventually the methadone does not work as far as allowing you to live a normal life and addiction slaps you in the face in one form or another and takes you to another level of low. Eventually he will just say thats it and ask for help and be willing to do whatever to get back to the land of the living. Wether it means sitting out a year of depression or whatever. He will get there. I am now almost three years clean from heroin IV use and crack and I actually have been able to creat a very normal life for myself. No one thought it was possible and now no one can even imagine that I really had that past. I am recently married ,happy,have a good job, and trusted by all who know me(weird), and expecting my first child. I did it all by myself and no one ,not even me , saw a life for me. It is possible.

Last edited by pearce28; 12-07-2004 at 06:34 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
    dagnab
    (female)

dagnab HB User

Thanks to you guys who took the time out to reply to me. I really appreciate it. I didn't realize how much I would until I started reading them and actually got pretty emotional as I was reading through. I just want to say thanks again for listening and it made me feel really good to hear your words of encouragement, advise and straight talk. Here's wishing all of you much happiness -

Last edited by dagnab; 12-09-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
    eshank
    (male)

eshank HB User

i was a heroin addict for several years did heroin w/ many people in my neighborhood and know lots of people hooked, i have been clean for 3.5 years, so, (the bad news)i have not yet met or heard of anyone else who has stayed clean that i ran with or grew up with or know from my using days. (the good news)the only other clean heroin addicts i have ever met are the ones i've met in rooms of na and aa, thats my expereince.it works! the grace of god has entered into my heart and expelled the obsession to get high!! i pray for him

Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
    pearce28

pearce28 HB User

I am the same way. I have almost three years off of heroin and I am the only one out of my whole group of friends in two different states that is off of it and has stayed off of it. It is sad. A lot of my friends have died. No one I know that I used to know back then has gotten clean. Just me and my husband got out after five long painful years of hell. The few people I have met that have gotten off of it and stayed off of it I have met elsewhere, like in rehab.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
    dagnab
    (female)

dagnab HB User

I'm glad you guys were able to overcome your addiction to heroin. If you don't mind me asking, did either of you do a 30 day center or a medical detox? Also, did you use methadone treatment? My last post was very very long and I went back the other day and edited and took a lot out. I felt it was too personal. Part of what I took out said how my husband went to a 5 day detox center then outpatient, then exactly to the day one year later checked into a 30 day treatment center and checked himself out on the 3rd day with another patient - used - then went back in another 5 day detox center. This time however the outpatient program in our area would not take him because he was not succesfull the last time. They would only take him if he would do a 14 day inpatient and he wouldn't. I gave history on his pain issues with his back/degenerated discs in the last post but removed when I edited. Basically, he is in pain daily due to 3 degenerated discs in back and one in neck. He had spinal fusion on 2 of the discs last November. After his last detox (May) he had a psychiatrist, drug councelor and therapist. He was very devoted in the beginning then started occassionally taking med for pain then he started on Methadone - doc's said might also help with pain. Not much though and unfortunately since he is an "addict" he cannot take his oxy as prescribed. Ends up eating a months supply up within a few days. One time when I went with him to therapy the therapist asked how many times we had been through this and if I was starting to give up on him yet? He said is this like the 10th time, 20th time and I was like oh god no and he said opiates are one of the toughest to beat due to the physical and psychological dependence it creates and that there might be many relapses but its part of the recovery and as long as he keeps with it he will get better because he wants to. As you probably know personally, some of the things he's done over the past year or so are completely crazy and I think, god , when is the "i've hit rock bottom" gonna kick in - cause its like he's already hit rock bottom several times - and he admits it himself. He's ashamed by the things hes done to score - Anyhow, thanks for listening and reply back if you like. I'm usually on line late evenings after the kids are in bed, before I go to bed. THANKS AGAIN FOR REACHING OUT -

Old 12-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #9
    goddessdana
    Inactive

goddessdana HB User
    Red face Re: Heroin - Can you really kick it? Wife of addict

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagnab
    I'm glad you guys were able to overcome your addiction to heroin. If you don't mind me asking, did either of you do a 30 day center or a medical detox? Also, did you use methadone treatment? My last post was very very long and I went back the other day and edited and took a lot out. I felt it was too personal. Part of what I took out said how my husband went to a 5 day detox center then outpatient, then exactly to the day one year later checked into a 30 day treatment center and checked himself out on the 3rd day with another patient - used - then went back in another 5 day detox center. This time however the outpatient program in our area would not take him because he was not succesfull the last time. They would only take him if he would do a 14 day inpatient and he wouldn't. I gave history on his pain issues with his back/degenerated discs in the last post but removed when I edited. Basically, he is in pain daily due to 3 degenerated discs in back and one in neck. He had spinal fusion on 2 of the discs last November. After his last detox (May) he had a psychiatrist, drug councelor and therapist. He was very devoted in the beginning then started occassionally taking med for pain then he started on Methadone - doc's said might also help with pain. Not much though and unfortunately since he is an "addict" he cannot take his oxy as prescribed. Ends up eating a months supply up within a few days. One time when I went with him to therapy the therapist asked how many times we had been through this and if I was starting to give up on him yet? He said is this like the 10th time, 20th time and I was like oh god no and he said opiates are one of the toughest to beat due to the physical and psychological dependence it creates and that there might be many relapses but its part of the recovery and as long as he keeps with it he will get better because he wants to. As you probably know personally, some of the things he's done over the past year or so are completely crazy and I think, god , when is the "i've hit rock bottom" gonna kick in - cause its like he's already hit rock bottom several times - and he admits it himself. He's ashamed by the things hes done to score - Anyhow, thanks for listening and reply back if you like. I'm usually on line late evenings after the kids are in bed, before I go to bed. THANKS AGAIN FOR REACHING OUT -

My husband has couseled people that have went to get medically detoxed. And your hubby hasn't hit rock bottem yet. If you hit rock bottem, you'll stay sober for many many many years. If they offered him a chance for 14 day detox and he turned it down that told my hubby he hasn't hit rock bottem, he's not ready yet....but you can help him hit rock bottem by showing him some tough love. QUIT ENABLING HIM. STOP DOING STUFF FOR HIM!!!!! WHEN HE WAKES UP SICK OR HUNG OVER DON'T HELP HIM DON'T TAKE CARE OF HIM!!!!. Believe it or not it will make them get up they may **** and moan about it but they'll get up and do it themselves. Hubby's seen that work. You may also look into seeing if you are co-dependent. Most spouses of addicts and alcoholics ARE Co-dependent or develop codependency. Yoou need to talk to a counselor yourself to deal with all this. Or go to narc anon they are dealing with addicts that are friends and family members. We're herwe if you ever want to blow some steam off. Good luck to you!!! We'll pray for you and your family.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
    windysan
    Inactive
    (male)

windysan HB User

If he ain't ready to go inpatient then he doesn't really want to quit. When he gets really, really dopesick then maybe he'll reconsider. 14 days ain't enough...he needs about 3-9 months inpatient rehab. There is a good one in Pensacola, FL where he can work and support himself while in treatment.

Old 12-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
    goddessdana
    Inactive

goddessdana HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by windysan
    If he ain't ready to go inpatient then he doesn't really want to quit. When he gets really, really dopesick then maybe he'll reconsider. 14 days ain't enough...he needs about 3-9 months inpatient rehab. There is a good one in Pensacola, FL where he can work and support himself while in treatment.
    Thats what we said long term treatment, medical detox, and the will!!!!! there's a good one in Oklahoma City too. The best in the nation!!! Like hubby said he hasn't really hit rock bottem yet.....

Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #12
    pearce28

pearce28 HB User

dagnab,

I went through a lot of different rehabs. In patient and I went through out. I also went through the methadone program twice. I left a lot of the times early in my in patient stays and most of the time with another patient. Eventually I got really tired of rehabs and stuck with methadone. Honestly I think that methadone got me hooked more than I ever was to start with. One day I wound up in jail and was forced off of 200mg of methadone cold turkey. That detox took me down for the count. I was only there for about 3 and a half months. I knew my body was messed up from all the drugs but I did not know to what degree untill I saw what my body went through for that period of time. I asked for help from day one of jail. I got to go to a 90 day rehab and when I left jail I knew that it would probably take more than that. As messed up as I felt off of all of that after all that time I needed a lot of rehab. I will say that I was not jonsing. I finally did not want it anymore. I went to a 90 day rehab and then I decided I needed more and went to a half way house of recovery. Working, being responsible, and being a productive member of society was a hazy dream. It had been a long time. I was not sure I could do it. I needed help and guidance. I stayed clean for 9 months and then one day I went around an old friend and let him smoke crack in front of me and I did it too. With in a month I was back on dope and hating every minute of it. With in three months I was back in jail. This time for 8 months and I have not touched it since. My body got better and my brain got better and it has just got better. The main thing I think , for me, is I wore myself out to the point that I just did not have another ounce in me for drugs or any of the consequences that were involved with it. I would rather have died. I almost died 7 times and honestly jail was not that bad or anything but I just wanted a normal life with out those stresses. Hope that helps. Ask anything you want and I will answere the best I can. That addiction is really hard to beat.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #13
    HumbleMan10248

HumbleMan10248 HB User

hi there pearce have not got much time to post right now but wanted to say v well done and i reall feel for you and any other H or Crack addcit and what they have to go through...benn there done that (Heroin and Crack) and am currenlty trying to kick this my 2nd attempt been about 3-4 weeks clean i know long road ahead have to get back to meetinsg etc..one v imp point u also made that there IS NO such thing as control users when it comes to class A ppl say they are ppl who can i dont tend to belive it...evry time i relapsed is when i was clean for some time and only thought let me jsut use once BAM back to square 1...to be continued God bless ya all

Humble

Old 12-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #14
    fisherpard

fisherpard HB User

Windysan,

What is the name of the treatment center in Pensacola?

thanks,
    fisherman

Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #15
    dagnab
    (female)

dagnab HB User

All -
    You are all great human beings. I've had a terrible weekend. Unable to get my thoughts together to reply to you. I consider myself a pretty straightforward person. I'm the adult child of parents with drug issues and extended family almost all had alcohol or drug problems. So I guess I'm not too naive to issues relating to addicts. However, I am feeling totally beat by this. I've been feeling this will never end. Had a lot of huge blowouts this weekend and again today. Husband insisting the only thing he is on is the methadone and taking an Oxy here and there for is back pain. I dont believe this and get angry for being lied to and disrespected. I said this too him tonight the worst thing of this addiction is how it turns you into a liar. Lie, Lie Lie. I hate this addiction, I hate him, I hate Oxycontin and I HATE HEROIN. It's like i've made this my addiction. I've done more research and been to more counselors, etc. with my husband I feel I could be a drug counselor myself. I'm consumed by it. Maybe I know too much and thats why I feel so bleak. It's not my problem - but in the same breath it is. THIS IS MY HUSBAND THE FATHER OF MY 2 CHILDREN. IT is for my kids sake that I am still in this fight. I know how it feels to grow up and resent your parents because of an addiction. I don't want them to go through that and deep down I know my husband, the guy I grew up with and hung out with and chose to share my life with, is still there somewhere inside. I get glimpses now and again and thats what keeps me going. He is a great father but nonetheless an addict. I am crying as I type this. Can't put my thoughts together so I hope I am making some kind of sense. Sometimes I want to run just take my kids and go away and not look back. Just Go. I worry what will happen to him, he doesn't deserve to die. I've said this before , sometimes I think he would be better off. To see him struggle breaks my heart but in the same breath I'm no lambchop. I dont tend to him if he is dope sick. I don't - been there done that earlier in this fight when he went through detox and outpaitient. 100% I gave to his recovery and it all fell apart. My husband was an old school , stand up guy. Toughest, strongest man I ever knew. Hard worker, 12 - 14 hrs days doing construction. Always some type of home improvement project going on - always something. He says if he could just get his pain under control he would be okay. He says he was never an addict to anything before his back problems and back fusion etc....... I know the OXY started his addiction but now he's addicted, and I think likes it. WHY KEEP USING - ???????????????????????????????? The same man who used to think our friends that drank during the week were drunks.....I've seen him so dopesick he was going off the wall....... using anything he can get his hands on to score. He's pawned things, borrowed, taken every dime out of every savings, 401K , life insurance policy, anything that might be of a dollar value - gone. What kind of devil could make you do that? And here I am on the outside trying to keep up with my "professional counterparts" in my very hectic job, having "power lunches" with company heads, etc and he don't get it. Ok, ok - i'm rambling. All in all I guess what I'm saying is if this isn't rock bottom I don't know if I can go through rock bottom. I know this can't last much longer. Ok take a breath. I guess I know already what all you guys are telling me, just looking for someone to talk to. I think I said before know one knows about this - everyone - inlcuding all my close friends - think it was just the Oxy - cause that's originally how it started. I've never told anyone, nor has he about the heroin. I know its stupid , but we come from a tight Italian neighborhood and family and respect is a big thing. Everybody knows everybody type of thing. This would never fly in our family or neighborhood if people knew. I know, I know, a cop out. This would be the lowest form of disrespect. Bad enough after his last time in detox and therapy his parents disowned him. I've been the only one standing by him yet I'm the one that gets all the crap. Allright, now I'm bellyaching and I hate that just as much as the next person. It's all about sucking it up and getting on with it. Thing is we are just regular people and I just want my regular life back - 2 yrs ago before all this Oxy and heroin started. I guess I'm starting to break down again so I should probably go back to therapy - although she told me to leave and I guess I just wasn't ready to leave yet. She basically said in essense its just as much my fault - for enabling, even unconsciously, since I stay even after his relapse and keep up all the bills and such. So what should I expect - anyhow last time I was there I got real ****** off and havent been back since. I know she was speaking the truth it just hurt too much, cause I thought she don't know him like I do. But she had told me before she knew him better than I did. She was a former addict and been down that road. She knows all the things they say and do and can seem so sincere but in the back of their minds they are just thinking how they can score. I just couldn't handle it. I'm like who is this chick think she is talking about my husband like that. She don't know ......he's different. But I guess she was right. Sorry for rambling again, I know I'm just looking to talk,vent. Busy week ahead...husband has several appointments with specialist regarding his back and nerve problems. He has lyme disease in addition to the disc problems and is being seen this week for an EMG.....his speacialist thinks he might have ALS..(Lou Gerigh's). I dont believe this could be true, but doctor came up with that synopsis a few weeks ago after latest round of MRI's etc and can't figure out what else is wrong with him. Anyhow, after the doctor said that he went into a spiral...spent about a week in a heroin daze, even though he insists it was just the methadone and combo of benzo's his psychiatrist has him on - of course taking them by the handful doesn't help either. Anyhow, thanks for listening and GOD bless all of you for all your straigh talk. I wish I could meet all of you and thank you in person. I'm gonna look into NA meetings around here - - Thanks again - and GOD BLESS -

Closed Thread