It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Dr. writes 1/3 of state's prescriptions for Oxycontin arrested

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
    joanharvest
    (female)

joanharvest HB User
    Dr. writes 1/3 of state's prescriptions for Oxycontin arrested

I read this in the news today. A doctor wrote 5,756 prescriptions for hydrocodone in 19 months. They arrested him and took his license away. He was an addict himself and also wrote 1/3 of the state's prescriptions for oxycontin last year. I live in this state and am very happy to see someone like him go down. Many of these prescriptions were written to young people. The town this Doctor was in, is only a couple of towns away from us. My son says he knows that some of the pills he bought came from this doctor. It's doctors like him that ruin it also for people who actually need the drug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User
    Re: Dr. writes 1/3 of state's prescriptions for Oxycontin arrested

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joanharvest
    I read this in the news today. A doctor wrote 5,756 prescriptions for hydrocodone in 19 months. They arrested him and took his license away. He was an addict himself and also wrote 1/3 of the state's prescriptions for oxycontin last year. I live in this state and am very happy to see someone like him go down. Many of these prescriptions were written to young people. The town this Doctor was in, is only a couple of towns away from us. My son says he knows that some of the pills he bought came from this doctor. It's doctors like him that ruin it also for people who actually need the drug.
    See, there is the problem. HOW can one doctor build up an Oxy sales business so HUGE that he is prescribing 1/3 of the state's total Oxy prescriptions?

Now, Purdue Pharma (the company that manufactures and markets Oxycontin) knew darned well that this guy was one of their star performers, but they did nothing to stop him or investigate him or slow him down OR, if they did it was after a lot of damage had been done. Even kids in neighboring towns knew about this guy.

The industry has to do a better job of policing themselves or laws have to be passed to strictly monitor and restrict the sale of these powerful opiates.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 08-26-2005 at 10:31 AM.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
    froggirl

froggirl HB User
    Arrow Re: Dr. writes 1/3 of state's prescriptions for Oxycontin arrested

I don't suppose that this happened in Florida...that would make my year if it was the same doc that kept prescribing me vicoden 10's for 8 years. In the mean time, I'm suing him and I'm not resting till I have his head on a platter!

Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Froggirl,can i ask just what you are suing this doc for?just really curious.you do not have to answer if you don't want to.marcia

Old 08-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
    Felicia65
    Veteran
    (female)

Felicia65 HB User

The devil comes in all forms.... WHY? was he getting money from people addicted/ or maybe the pills for him self. DID the news paper say. What did he gain from doing such a evil thing.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
    Dave53
    (male)

Dave53 HB User

This tells me that your system seems to be working. You can't bust a doctor until he's broken the law. This guy went bad and then was caught within 19 months. That's not too bad. Also keep in mind that this guy himself was an addict. No junkie is ever responsible about anything in any way concerning drugs. This guy was likely so messed up near the end that he was practicing medicine when wasted. That's a scary thought. It should have been up to his nurses or colleagues (or patients if he had any non addicts) to turn him in. Not Purdue or DEA.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
    thghtsreal
    Inactive
    (male)

thghtsreal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave53
    This tells me that your system seems to be working. You can't bust a doctor until he's broken the law. This guy went bad and then was caught within 19 months. That's not too bad. Also keep in mind that this guy himself was an addict. No junkie is ever responsible about anything in any way concerning drugs. This guy was likely so messed up near the end that he was practicing medicine when wasted. That's a scary thought. It should have been up to his nurses or colleagues (or patients if he had any non addicts) to turn him in. Not Purdue or DEA.
    There is only one organization that knew for sure exactly how much Oxy this guy was selling and that was the company who was supplying the drugs he was selling and prescribing. His nurses or colleagues or maybe even a patient or two might have had some idea that he was writing a lot of scripts, but only the company that sold the drugs to him knew for sure and he had to have lit up their radar screen with that big of a sales record.

You are correct that this doctor posed a danger to his patients and to the community he served for over a year and a half. However, the company that sold the whopping amount of drugs through this one doctor does have an ethical responsibility to either advise the authorities of his activities or investigate on their own. Oxy is becoming too much of a problem. I think that laws have to be put in place to control the distribution and sale of this incredibly addictive and life-destructive opiate.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 08-28-2005 at 12:53 PM.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #8
    Wayward_Sun
    (male)

Wayward_Sun HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Dr. writes 1/3 of state's prescriptions for Oxycontin arrested

This is a common response, but the problem isnt fixed by adding more laws, the existing laws are more than clear and punitive. The problem, is that the regulatory divisions of the DEA are undermanned---literally, the reason it takes awhile to notice is there is not enough manpower to continually track *Red Flags* that pop up. AND, law enforcement cannot possibly be expected to take care of everything, especially when it would be more effective to get the companies to be more responsible (which seems to be even harder, and that is SAD).

"Adding another law" is something politicians do to make it appear they are taking care of a problem, but half the time the "law" was fine to begin with, and the real problem---a problem with the process---is overshadowed by the politicians CYA "new laws." Then we hear on TV that "despite the new law this problem has been increasing..." etc.

No doubt that prescription abuse has become a problem, but that is happening even with laws in place! More oversight is often required, and might be in these situations. Of course, that leads to the problem of "Doctor Witchhunts" because once the situation was under scrutiny, the oversight sector would have to justify its existence, and then it affects the legitimate side of pain sufferers. I think all of this falls under the "Red Tape" category, and thats a shame....because sometimes the government shouldnt have to be the only responsible entity.

Thgtsreal makes a very valid point: The beancounters at the Pharm companies might notice this kind of thing faster than law enforcement! Since the DEA is always going to have its manpower affected by politics and/or administrations, perhaps there should be some mandatory regulation enforced on the pharm companies themselves to monitor the "Red Flag" situations. Adding another law wouldnt accomplish anything by itself, but requiring Pharm companies to more closely monitor their week to week sales would be a huge step!

Law Enforcement cannot be the only responsible sector involved here. Example: A drug cartel sells its drugs, and law enforcement is responsible for trying to keep track of it. A pharm company sells its drugs, and law enforcement is responsible for keeping track of it. Huh? Why is there no regulation AT the corporate level??

Of course, I cant see any kind of "Bush Administration" type telling corporations to be more responsible--especially if it means spending more of their own money--but thats a key point. Im sure they would just love another law added so they can claim they did something, and wash their hands of it. Meanwhile, nothing would change. Putting more responsibility in the companies court would accomplish alot more than another failed "War on Drugs" by the government, where pages and pages of laws were added yet abuse rates of most drugs steadily increased.

Old 08-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

the drug company would not have no idea how many or much oxycontin this dr was prescribing unless every drug store called and reported every script and this wont happen.quit blamin drug companys for things they did or didnt do.when you get a script you have to get it filled at a drug store so there is no way the company would be able to keep track of the amount of scripts unless every drug store in that state called in on a daily basis.-spark

Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
    Dave53
    (male)

Dave53 HB User

Hi Spark-O-Cet. You are absolutely right. Thanks for making the point.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:32 AM   #11
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

hey dave how goes it today with ya,fine i hope.just thought i would holler at ya this morning-spark

Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #12
    Dave53
    (male)

Dave53 HB User

Hi Spark. Thanks for the morning greeting. All's fine. And with you too I hope. Keep smiling. Dave

Old 09-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
    Arememom
    Inactive
    (female)

Arememom HB User

I bet there is a doctor like this in every state. My ex-boyfriend was referred to a doctor because he was known for giving your prescriptions for what ever you wanted. He documented very well in your chart to cover himself. Unfortunately for my ex-boyfriend over the course of 6 years (steadily increasing amounts each month) hes now prescribing Oxycontin 80mg - 90 tabs/month, Ativan 1 mg enough each month to take 1 every 6 hours and Methadone ?mg 180 tabs every month and more. Needless to say he became addicted. Then graduated to Crack. Now he sells all his meds to buy crack. I never took the pills but unfortunately somehow I did start smoking crack with him. I've been clean 16 days!! Yeah!!!! My point is no patient needs that all the meds that MD prescribed for my ex. It's a shame that people get really addicted to prescribed meds due to over prescribing by doctors.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
    bluejulie5
    Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

I live in Kansas
    and I had a Dr. here who would happily prescribe me
    Hydrocodone every month.
    That , in my opinion is how I got addicted.
    I was having headaches and Menstural cramps.
    He should not have prescribed the hydro. in the first
    place for that, in my opinion.
    Although I loved it at the time,(getting high on pills)
    I hate him now .
    I was able to go months and months without even
    a check up. He would just call the scripts in for me.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
    Sammiejoe
    (female)

Sammiejoe HB User

It seems to me like doctors and pharmaceutical companies are being blamed for people becoming addicted to pain meds and that's another example of placing blame on everyone but the addict. These meds are clearly marked with warnings that they are habit forming. It's like a catch 22 for docs who get blamed for not prescribing adequate pain relief and then being sued when they do. If someone has a history of drug abuse in their family, they should be honest about it and then the appropriate medicines can be given. Just because someone in pain takes narcotics to have a better quality of life doesn't mean their an addict. But, if someone goes doctor shopping and takes a 30 day supply of meds in 10 days and then lies to their doc the next month so they can get more, then whose to blame???
    It's the same thing with cigerattes, if you started smoking within the past twenty years then you know the risk associated with tobacco and if you chose to smoke then you have to accept responsibility.

Closed Thread