It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Methadone & getting a job - drug testing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User
    Methadone & getting a job - drug testing

Hi I have posted before. My son, 22, is going to a methadone clinic. He is getting his life back on track.

My husband and I are supportive. First things first we told him he had to get a job.

He filled out applications and got calls backs and interiviews right away. Everyone is offering him jobs. Problem is they want to give a drug test and I don't know how to handle this latest obstacle. I just don't know what to do.

This is all new to me and everytime I turn around there is something new croping up that I don't know how to handle or guide my son with. What the heck does one do in this situation? He needs a job, my husband and I can be supportive but we can't absorb his bills.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Methadone & getting a job - drug testing

The thing is,you will have to devulge that he is actually taking methadone.but you would not have to actually say why.as long as it is actually being Rxed by a doc,this should not be a problem.if he is asked by anyone,since they do treat pain with methadone,he only needs to actually state that he has some sort of odd nerve pain that needs to be controlled by the use of the methadone.or he can be totally honest about the whole thing.unless this impending job is something where he will be around medications,i would not think that telling a new employer about past drug abuse is something vital that he needs to disclose.as long as his rxing doc or if this is a clinic he is getting it from,the doc there or even his primary can back up the actual Rxing part of it.But the fact that he IS taking the meth will have to be disclosed if there is a UA involved as it will show up in the screen.This is all kind of up to just what your son wants to disclose and the possible type of job he will be doing.i wish him luck in his recovery.**

Closed Thread