It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Worried About Amount Of Oxys Daughter Taking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
    MYSISSYGIRLS
    Veteran
    (female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User
    Worried About Amount Of Oxys Daughter Taking

Hi,
    I Been On This Board Awhile And I Have A Questions Maybe Someone Can Help Me With.my Daughter Is Addicted To Vicodin,percoets And Oxys. She Is Said To Be Taking 7-10 Vics A Day And She Has Snorted 200 Dollars Worth Of Oxys Within 2 Days.i Dontknow How Much That Is But It Sure Seems Like Alot.she Will Snort Like 7 Vicodin Then Right Away Snort A Oxy Then Within 15 Minutes She Is Snorting Another Oxy.if She Has Them She Will Go Through Them So Fast.
    My Question Is What Is This Doing To Her Body And With Her Needing More Each Time Im Scared Of Overdose.i Dont Know How To Stop Her.i Have Had To Kick Her Out Of My Home Because I Am Raising Her Daughter.she Is Now Living With My Son And His Wife.please Any Info On This Addiction Will Be Helpful
    Thanks,
    Tami

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
    Timmay!!
    (male)

Timmay!! HB User
    Re: Worried About Amount Of Oxys Daughter Taking

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about the tough time you are going through.

I believe I can give you a little input, and provide you with a fisheye view of what is probably going to happen in the future unless your daughter gets help very soon.

First, the obvious. Drugs are not cheap, and on the average, oxycontin goes anywhere from fifty cents a milligram, to a dollar a milligram. So historically, people who use oxycontin, and who no longer can afford it's high, will turn to heroin, which is much cheaper, and provides a similar high. It is then when your worries about overdosing can very easily become a reality, due to the fact that heroin is cut different with every dealer, and you just don't know what you are getting dose from dose.

This isn't meant to freak you out as much as it is to make you aware that something needs to be done NOW.

Good luck, God Bless.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
    hoapfloats
    (female)

hoapfloats HB User

Hi Mysissygirls,

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. First off if she is snorting $200 of oxys a day, usually they sell on the street for $50 a piece for the oxy 80mgs, so chances are she was probably snorting 4 80mg oxys when she paid the $200. Yes overdose is possible however when you are an addict to pain killers, using them almost daily your body builds up a tollerence. For instance when I was abusing vicodin, I would take about ten of the 10mg ones in one day and I am only 5 feet tall and 115 pounds, my body could "handle" more then my 6 foot 4 220 pound boyfriend, scary ha?! The best advise I can offer you is be really tough on her, do not let her even be around you or your grandaughter until she gets help or checks into detox, rehab, or some type of program. You can not enable her or she will never change until she gets thrown in jail or something horrible. My mom stopped helping me and would not even talk to me until I stopped taking pills and got into a program, I love her so much and missed her terribly so I checked into a program and have been sober now for over a month, I talk to my mom now and am doing much better, I finally saw the light thanks to her, I am 25 yrs old and finally woke up because I did not want my mom to have to burry me or see me go to prision. You and your family are in my prayers, good luck.

~Kelley~

Old 03-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
    MYSISSYGIRLS
    Veteran
    (female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

thank you guys so much for your input. i know you are not meaning to scare me but i really want to know.
    i do know that she has shot herion before i do not know how many times or any of the details of it but i do know she has.i have kicked her out of my home and have not talked to her for about a month because of the names she was calling me and the verbal abuse.
    i had her set up to go to our state hospital for detox and rehab treatment but she backed out of that in jan.i have not talked to her since.
    i am just so scared to death that i will bury her someday.she has lost her home,her child and all her belongings i thought that would have been her bottom but its not.none of us in her family know how to get through to her.it scares me to death.
    im scared she gona od or catch hiv or hepatitis with the people she is sleeping with and if she is using needles.i dont really know much about herion but i have heard that they use needles.
    thanks so much for your replys,
    tami

Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
    need2smile
    (female)

need2smile HB User

hello there mysissygirls,
    if your daughter doesnt get some help she will end up dead ..its no joke thatdrug is the worst thing they could have ever made in my opinion. its mainly for cancer patients as my mother had to take them when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer....the problem with my mom was she was already hooked on pain killers years before she even knew she was sick and when they told her and gave her the perscription for the oxy's she went a little wierd with them and i found out what she was doing was taking her percocets and then taking an oxy (high milligram) but because most of them are time released they dont realize that they dont work instantly and because it doesnt kick in all at once they take more and more and when they finally release into thier system..its pretty harsh and they can die ..it can be fatal as the drug is releasing into thier body then time goes by and more releases into the bloodstream and so on and so on.........so when shes taking more than one after 15 minutes ..once the first ones kick in , in a short while the other s will start kicking in and she could overdose. try to get her help and even if you have to take her yourself ..just think of what your life will be like if she wasnt in it with you or her daughter.......i know i was there and i miss my mom tremendously

need2smile
    hope it works out for you sweetheart

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MYSISSYGIRLS
    Hi,
    I Been On This Board Awhile And I Have A Questions Maybe Someone Can Help Me With.my Daughter Is Addicted To Vicodin,percoets And Oxys. She Is Said To Be Taking 7-10 Vics A Day And She Has Snorted 200 Dollars Worth Of Oxys Within 2 Days.i Dontknow How Much That Is But It Sure Seems Like Alot.she Will Snort Like 7 Vicodin Then Right Away Snort A Oxy Then Within 15 Minutes She Is Snorting Another Oxy.if She Has Them She Will Go Through Them So Fast.
    My Question Is What Is This Doing To Her Body And With Her Needing More Each Time Im Scared Of Overdose.i Dont Know How To Stop Her.i Have Had To Kick Her Out Of My Home Because I Am Raising Her Daughter.she Is Now Living With My Son And His Wife.please Any Info On This Addiction Will Be Helpful
    Thanks,
    Tami

Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
    BACKFROMHELL
    (female)

Location: Vienna, Virginia (10 minutes from DC...Heroin City!)
    BACKFROMHELL HB User

Hi MYSISSYGIRLS~
    Wow, you sound like my mom a few years ago.. here is a little secret.. if she told you that she is doing all of that, more then likely she is asking for your help. While getting high at first was a lot of fun.. when I got to the 200 dollar a day habit.. it stopped being fun and started being a lot like hell. Have you sat her down (not just a fight.. but a dinner and lay it out for her).. do some research.. find a detox (I am sure that the reason she hasn't stopped yet is because the withdrawal feels like your going to die.. and believe me you wish you could) that can take her and help her ease the pain a little. They will teach her the ways of NA and AA and give her a good start.. You need to make sure that you do not enable her. Don't allow her to make promises that she will do it next week or that she can do it on her own.. She may want to do it on her own.. but the truth is that its just to painfull.
    It needs to go like this.."hun, you have a decision to make.. you can conitnue doing what your doing and I can't agree with it and I can't watch you do it to yourself and your daughter.. or you can go to detox tomorrow and with your family's support and meetings we can do this together.. but I have to tell you that if you do not take this chance right now then you are on your own."... I think the best thing my mother (who went to Al-anon meetings to get the balls and support she needed to do this) said to me was.. I love you but I don't have to like you right now. You are not the person that I used to admire.. and I know you aren't happy.. You can always go back to using and ruining your life.. why not try to get clean?"... then she left me alone for a few minutes (seemed like hours to me!) and told me she loved me and that I was too strong to give up... I went to detox!
    Now, if she doesn't have insurance she can go to the hospital on a state bed (call your local Alcohol and Addiction center) for free but someone will come to your house (an interventionist) and help you do it. If she agree's then they take her right away..
    You know.. whats the harm? I waited for the longest time for someone to help me... my mother is my savior.. truley! I hope it works out.. stay strong.. she may not come around when you want it but you can at least plant the seed!
    T.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
    funnymermaid
    (female)

funnymermaid HB User

My son was 24 yrs old and in the exact same position on oxys (he's 27 now). I was "devasted" and was even thinking about how to prepare his funeral. He'd lost everything too (home, boat, truck, jewelry, weight, health, etc). He looked like a skeleton and "avoided" me towards the end because I said the "only" way he could come home (I promised help when he was "ready") was if he got "help". I told him I loved him no matter what. He was so ashamed (I'll never forgot this day as long as I live) that he couldn't even look into eyes. I then had to "Let Go & Let God", I read alot of co-dependent books, that helped alot too. A few weeks later he called crying, "ready"! He chose the methadone route, but I must say his life dramaticly improved. He's on 130 mgs still but now asking me for help on getting off the methadone. There is hope, don't give up on her.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
    jacritch
    (female)

jacritch HB User

Hi MYSISSYGIRLS,

My daughter was taking a lot of pain pills a couple of years ago. I knew she was on something because she would sit in the recliner and her eyes would flutter shut and then open and they were glossy. Well to make a long story short she went to rehab 3 times in 1 and 1/2 years. She refused to change her friends.

She finally moved out on her own when she was 21 with her son. Her addiction got out of control and she was not taking care of him properly. She had also started shooting heroin. She is 5'6" and weighed under 100 lbs. I had my grandson more then she did, because she couldn't deal w/him and I wanted him to be safe, so I was okay w/it. I was worried about her and tried to get her help, but she wouldn't accept it.

When it got to the point, where I couldn't take it anymore, (getting phone calls from her neighbors, and notes left on my door that my grandson was being neglected) I called Social Services on her. I called and reported her 3 times. It was really tough to do, but I felt for the sake of my grandson I had to.

I also was in counseling at the time, so I had some help because your heart and head tell you different things because it is your child and no matter what you love her and want the best for her.

Unfortunately, at her last hospital stay, she was diagnosed w/schizophrenia (my son who is 25 was diag. 5 years ago w/schizophrenia at the same hospital). She does not have the same symptoms as my son, so I wonder sometimes if the diag. is right.

She now lives w/me because the hospital put her out on the street when her insurance ran out. She has some interaction with her son. She gave her son to the state, because she wasn't thinking properly at the time, and I stepped in and received guardianship of him. She loves her son with all her heart, but she can't be a full-time single mother at 22.

She doesn't hang around the same people she used to and she is getting an apartment next week. Hopefully, if she keeps it together with her substance abuse (she has been clean for 9 months), she will be able to have her son back in June or July.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I really wish you the best. I know how your heart is breaking.

Sorry this is so long!

Judy

Closed Thread