It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Pediatric Bipolar (5 year old)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #31
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User
    Re: Pediatric Bipolar (5 year old)

Hi Michele

You are doing the best you can possibly do with your son. It is hard and difficult when you have a child who is trying you at all ends of every spectrum possible; and at 24-7!

Meds can help reduce the symptoms, and they do have side effects. It is a double standard issue with taking them. If he were a diabetic would you decide to not give him meds? That is how I treat my Bipolar Disorder and my sons ADHD. We have considered taking our son off of his meds, and realized that he too, is like a person who will probably be on meds his entire life. We are quite certain he has another diagnosis with him, and needs his meds changed but won't find out til later this month. That is besides the point....

Parenting a child who is disruptive, out of control, and aggressive is so hard on ones self, their psyche, and physically draining. Sometimes advice given doesn't always work. I know, as we are walking in it currently, and I've asked on numerous web sites for dysfunctional children and ADHD. I've heard positives and negatives about play therapy. I won't go there with my opinion on it except my son will be in Occupational Therapy, of which is another alteranative for aggressive children. Keep that in the back of your mind as well. We did Occupational Therapy for 3 years while our sons were in preschool and it helped tremendously with the aggression and sensory problems, mostly for ADHD son. The year he was left out of it he regressed terribly and has fallen so we are back to square one again. Plus, there are numerous types of therapies you can put him through. I would forward you to another web site but this forum does not allow that. Sorry.

Here is a current strategy we are working on at our home with ADHD son. Instead of putting him in his room for time outs we are staying in the kitchen, you sit down at the kitchen table with a cup of something nice to drink (after you get him calmed down enough to sit still on the floor), and place him on a rug 5 feet from you. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Tell him he is now having a 'Time In' and that time outs are no longer valid because 'Time In's are so much easier to do! My son liked this, and took to it today. It worked. The only problem I have with my son is when he is not on his meds between the early hours of the morning.... He is just so difficult. And, that is when I am not able to handle him. I could go on for hours about the stories. It is not worth it though.

Hang in there Michele.... You will do fine. Keep working hard at finding answers and searching for ideas on the Net. That is what I do. It is one of the easiest ways to find help.

Take care

Coffeegirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #32
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User

The Dr. had said if he had bipolar the stimulants would make him worse. Well, it definitely did, the rages were almost constant and more intense. We took him off those yesterday, So, even though he has ADHD and ODD, its clear that he has BIPOLAR and he prescribed him Abilify today. What a rollercoaster ride. Does anyone have experience with Abilify? My poor son is suffering so bad, it kills me to see him like this. I sure hope that this helps him.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:15 PM   #33
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi, Mattsmom My daughter was on Abilify but was hypersensitive to it. It is, from what I learned, one of the antipsychotic meds that doesn't affect the liver as the other antipsychotics tend to do. It is considered to be one of the safer drugs that they use in children for bipolar. And it also acts as a mood stalbilizer thus eliminating the need for another med. Most times it works without the need of an antidepressant but other times a small dose of atidepressant is needed to keep things balanced. It also doesn't have the weight gain issue that the other antipsychotic meds do. So Abilify is a good med and works well for many. I sure hope it does so for your son. It is good that they got him off of the stimulants....hopefully you will see a better response to the Abilify. It will take a few weeks to see it's overall effect since it takes a while to reach a therapeutic level. But the good news is that he will not have to have blood testing to check his liver enzymes.

Keep us posted and good luck ~ Goody

Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #34
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User

Thanks. I have heard all good news about Abilify. Do they have to do any blood tests while on it ? I am feeling quite hopeful right now, and my panic attacks have widdled away . thanks so much. Everyones responses really do make a difference.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:38 AM   #35
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User

He has been on Abilify for 4 days, and we have had 4 days of happiness. So far so good. He used to have constant rages, could not calm himself, got mad about the littlest things. Now, when he starts to get mad, he calms down quickly and turns it around. Its amazing. THey said the drug could take 2-3 weeks to take full effect. I hope this is it for him! I'm so happy to have my baby back !

Old 07-18-2006, 07:16 AM   #36
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

That's such great news!!! Glad that the Abilify is working so well. And, no, you will not need blood tests....Abilify is one of the antipsychotics that does not require monitoring via blood tests!! Isn't that wonderful!!!

I am so glad to hear that you have your baby back!!! That is something us moms really look forward to and I am awaiting that glorious day as well.

Seeing that you have gotten there gives me hope.

Glad to be able to share in thie wonderful occasion.....now go celebrate!!!

((((HUGS))))) of joy ~ Goody

Old 07-18-2006, 10:43 AM   #37
    coffeegirl2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

coffeegirl2 HB User

Michele

I take Abilify. It has made a world of difference in my life. If I miss a dose, it is very evident. I cannot, and will not go off of this med. It has been a life savor for me. That is how much I like it. It has helped with depression, hallucinations, and mania.

It is wonderful to hear you write in relief and joy for a change. Coming from a mom who also struggles with constant grief from a son with challenges, I can understand why it is such joy for you. (((((HUGS))))) When meds work for children, and they are the right dosages, it creates such a terrific atmosphere at the homefront. Life is grand and the music plays so much easier.

I've wondered how you've been, and hope that you will continue to keep us all posted on how things are going. Keep a journal of the progress and map out his mood swings. That is what I do with my son. It helps for when I go back to his next appointment. Then I'm ready to ask/answer questions for the pdoc. Trust me, the pdoc wonders where I get some of the questions I ask!! Educating oneself is the best resource with mental illness. Being your own advocate is also a good thing too.

Take care of yourself! You matter in this life time too. Don't lose track of you. Spend some quality time with Michele. You do need a break. Even if it is for an hour. It can be treasured simply by going for a walk and having a neighbor or friend watch him for that short time frame. I'm finally learning to do that. It is hard to do, and if ya don't do it for yourself, no one else will.

Many hugs

Coffeegirl

Old 05-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #38
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User
    Re: Pediatric Bipolar (6 year old) UPDATE 1 YR LATER

well its been a year since Matts been kicked out of school. He had been on abilify for a few weeks before it started to lose effect.. we upped it from 2.5 to 15mg and no difference.. so doc had him try topamax trileptal and straterra.. all ng... so he started seroquel which is turning out to be the same results as abilify. I have been out of work one year now ! ... My son was in partial hospitalization program for 16 weeks, continued to get counseling, intensive "behavioral" therapy, psych.. etc. went to a special ed. school.. no one would watch him after school so that I could work... I contacted my local legislature, and a gazillion organizations to no avail. Looking back to before the meds, through all the meds and therapy in between and now been on seroquel for 3 months.. he is no different now than before.. He is now showing neurological signs (poor muscle tone, balance coordination, fine motor skills, losing control of bowels etc.. ).. ped. ordered a neuro who should start atleast with an MRI... and a geneticist.. I took him to see his new psych (we moved) and during the intake he displayed his Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde mood switch a couple of times within the 2 hours we were there. He went from the sweetest loving angel child to violently aggressive - he kicked the therapist FOR NO APPARENT REASON and took a while for him to switch back (for there is no self control or outside control) I just hold him down until its over. They wanted to call the police... He was just playing with toys when this occured.. After the rage episode, he went back to babytalk and sweet again. I was told they cannot offer him any services and he is seriously mentally ill and needs to go to a residential facility. I am sooo confused and distraught.. on one hand I cannot care for or help him, on the other hand I dont want him to LIVE somewhere else..!!!! So apparently this is not typical bipolar/adhd behavior as my instincts told me all along... We have been so isolated for so long because of his behavior..we dont even leave the house now..I am drained from being with him only every day/night for over a year with no support/relief. I am going to have him tested (neuro and genetics).. I am also looking into biofeedback..

I am hoping that anyone out there has similar situation they will really pay attention to their instincts and never give up.

Last edited by mattsmom105; 05-06-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #39
    Paige1989
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paige1989 HB User

Hi Mattsmom,

I'm seventeen and suspected bipolar since I was nine when my dad left, but for the first five years, I was in a depressed state with no major rages like your son displayed. He does seem to fit the bill for Bipolar Disorder, though, and there are many times when children and teens are recommended for a residential program if they are bipolar and out of control. At some point, you will find a med combination that works for you, but it could take a while. I was diagnosed bipolar when I was fifteen and it took two years to get me semi-stable and I still have episodes so some med changes are still in order. My mom is also bipolar and it took her three years to find the right meds. If your motherly instincts tell you to keep him at home, do so. I understand your reluctance to put such a young child in residential, but do research about it before you immediately cut it out. You might also consider a short-term hospital stay where the psychiatrists can constantly monitor him and try different meds until he's stable - those type of stays aren't as permanent as residential and there are always visiting hours set aside for immediate family. The meds you listed that you've tried is a relatively short list - there are many others available that can be tried, and some may work in combination when they didn't work alone. I'm on Lamictal, Seroquel, and Klonopin right now and that combination is slowly starting to take effect, but to get stable, I had a nine-day hospital stay in March of this year. Also, there is a resource that you can use if you plug in CBAF into a search engine. Good luck with your son and I hope things turn around for you soon;

Paige
    1mg. Klonopin
    0.5-1mg. Ativan
    I'm not crazy ~ I'm mentally interesting!

Last edited by Paige1989; 05-04-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #40
    dottie52
    (female)

dottie52 HB User

thank you for sharing that story...my 6 yr old grandson shows signs of bipolar but he is not aggressive or fighting..he does have a temper....but always says he is sorry later...first doc put him on lithium had chest pain and took him off i'm worried but he is a sweet boy...

Last edited by moderator2; 05-05-2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #41
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User

Paige - you are very wise and very mature for 17 ! I know its hard with 2 yrs to become semi-stable.. sounds like you are on the right path and god bless you!

Dottie- I didn't get to read the rest of your message. Please continue the post I truly want to hear the rest of your story !

As we love our children no matter what we will fight for providing the best for them no matter what it takes. This my job, my goal and my privelege to be the best mom that I can be.

MattsMom

Last edited by moderator2; 05-06-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Closed Thread