It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Constant Overdose on Different Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
    WhyIsThisMyLife
    (female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User
    Constant Overdose on Different Meds

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? My mother will overdose on any type of medication. Cymbalta, Motrin, Ativan, Ambien even on Lipitor which is a cholesterol lowering med. She will take 30 of these pills a day and we only find out, because she starts acting crazy and hallucinating. She has been doing this for 5+ years. She has been in psych wards five # times. The psychiatrist talked about rehab, but I feel like what is she rehabbing from? She used to be addicted to vicodin, but she kicked that with the help of methodone. It's not one drug that she is "addicted" too. I think its the feeling of taking a lot of meds and being totally out of it. Or its a passive suicide attempt. She is very depressed. Everytime she comes out of the psych ward she swears she will never do it again and I always believe her and then she does it again. I am supposed to keep all her meds, but she sneaks stuff in without telling me. I told her doctor to stop prescribing her anything or at least always give me the prescriptions, but she does not do so. I am not sure what to do about this. The doctor in the emergency room says one day she will get her hands on something that will kill her when she overdoses. Luckily, she hasn't had anything like that now. I just don't know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #2
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
    Re: Constant Overdose on Different Meds

it's tough, but right now, you should focus on your recovery and not get tangled up in mums drama. If you are really concerned that she will OD then call the relavant authorities, otherwise you are strictly "number one" right now!!!!!

Old 09-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
    Thiswasyourlife
    Inactive
    (female)

Thiswasyourlife HB User
    Re: Constant Overdose on Different Meds

I totally agree with what Blaster said. Focus on you. In my opinion, for what thats worth, its not what she is taking, its WHY she is taking it. Us addicts/alcoholics have issues that need dealing with. But, I am sure you know that.

Good luck to you and prayers for your mom.

Marilyn

Closed Thread