It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Should a doctor prescribe Ativan for an addict?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
    Betty Bee
    (female)

Betty Bee HB User
    Should a doctor prescribe Ativan for an addict?

Another question...Besides the Nyquil my fiance is using...he also takes Ativan when needed. It is an anti-anxiety med somewhat like xanax. He is on a very low dose, and does not take it everyday. I'm getting very concerned because I noticed he has been taking it more frequently. He is an addict. In anyone's opinion, is it normal for a doctor to prescribe Ativan to an ex heroin user??

Do you think my fiance needs to be more open about this? He told me a while ago that he takes ativan when he gets nervous or has a lot of anxiety and stress. Is it asking too much for him to tell me when he is taking these meds or is it crossing the line?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
    Re: Should a doctor prescribe Ativan for an addict?

Ativan is veryyyy addictive. So be careful.........

Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
    blinggirl
    (female)

blinggirl HB User

Ativan is VERY VERY addicting. My sister got addicted to it and had a very tough time getting it out of her system. She took it for medical reasons and is not a prior addict to anything. It got a hold of her. Tell him to watch it..

Old 10-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

I have had addiction issue's myself with pain pills and I do take Ativan when I am stressed out or need to sleep. I have never found the feeling it gives me to be something I like so I would not abuse it. It makes my legs heavy and I DON'T like the way it makes me feel, so for me its fine to take and a bottle of 60 last me 2-3 years, so for me its not a problem. I think it might be okay since it was not his drug of choice but you need to see how many he is taking and how fast he is using them... Its really not a pleasant feeling. ( in my opinion) but than again some people feel that vicadin makes them feel horrible.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

there are other options to help ease anxiety other than the use of benzos.i would go with him to his next doc appt or just talk with him about the other less addictive options.my son cannot take any benzos and uses a mood stabilizer instead,this works all the time to keep things from actually hitting that "anxious" point,and they don't seem to make him 'zombie like" or anything close to it,just calmer.depakote and seroquel are a good ones and there are others.just do a bit of research on mood stabilizers.this may help.good luck.i hope he will be willing to go with something else or this could end up in a very bad situation down the road.it is actually much easier to kick heroin than benzos.neither one is a good time,but benzos effect on the brain makes it take sooo much longer to fully clear and must be done very very slowly or severe side effects could result.good luck,marcia

Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
    Betty Bee
    (female)

Betty Bee HB User

he just stopped taking zoloft. he doesn't want to take any other meds on a regular basis. he takes the ativan as needed. so far he has taken 11 since he got the prescription filled on september 7th. i will talk to him to see if he is open to an alternative. i just wish he was more open about it with me.

Closed Thread