It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• HORRIBLE caffeine addiction!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
    Ariaden
    (female)

Ariaden HB User
    HORRIBLE caffeine addiction!

my husband is so addicted to caffeine that if he doesn't get at least a gallon of tea a day he goes into horrible withdrawals. one time we ran out of tea and he didn't have any for a day. he was throwing up every ten minutes for 2 hours straight and had the worst migraine ever. finally we ended up taking him to the hospital and they had to put him out with morphine (at the time we didn't know it was caffeine withdrawals.) if he drinks hardly and ounce less of tea he gets a horrible migraine and is bed-ridden. i'm so scared for his health. i know all the sugar he is consuming with the tea is also bad. i don't want him getting diabetes. he doesn't have medical insurance at the moment and we don't know how to ween him off. he also can't get a job because of this and we're in a desperate need of money. someone please help, i really don't know how to ween him off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
    percman!
    (male)

percman! HB User
    Re: HORRIBLE caffeine addiction!

no offence but are you being serious?? tell him to drink some soda..for 90% of us it's not that easy.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
    percman!
    (male)

percman! HB User

the more i think about this post.all i can say is wow.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
    Ariaden
    (female)

Ariaden HB User

yes, i'm 100% serious

Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I'm not that addicted to caffeine, but I am trying to wean down. Currently I drink 4 cups of coffee and about 4 cans of diet coke a day. I just bought some decaf coffee and have mixed 1/2 reg and 1/2 decaf and I am drinking my first cup this morning (yes, I know it's 11:20, I just got up ) and it's not bad. I bought a case of caffeine free diet coke and will drink those at night. I am trying not to drink the regular diet coke after 8 pm, then I'll move it up to 7pm, etc. I'm trying to go down to 50% of my normal caffeine this week, that might be too big of a decrease, but we'll see. Good luck to your husband!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Ariaden,

I think I had the same reaction as Perc at first and I am sorry about that now. You wouldn't be posting if it was not a serious problem. My hubby used to drink 18-20 cups of black coffee a day. This was some 15 years back. I guess I never thought of him as struggling with an addiction with it until just now.

He had read a book about a medical makeover and one of the first steps in the book was to reduce caffeine intake. I am trying to think about how he did it.

Well, I just taled to him about it. He said he had to start taking SELENIUM and CHROMIUM as a first step. These supplements do something constructive to help the body. He switched from coffee to herbal teas and yes, he had jitters and headaches. To replace the sugar your hubby uses, eat fruit or juices that use FRUCOSE and NOT SUCROSE as the sugar. Lots of fruit will help him get past the sugar cravings and highs and lows they create. Frucose is a better sugar although I am truthfully not sure why.

Caffeine is a drug like any other. I guess that the pathways to coming off are going to be the same... either cold turkey or a taper. I am coming off oxycodone by taper and I had a headache that lasted a good two months. And jitters? Man, oh, man I can relate to that. The jitters are still ongoing, but the headaches have eased up quite a bit. I think a lot of the headache problem is the stress caysed by coming off whatever drug we are tackling.

It will be a battle just like the one many of us are fighting. Not easy, not pleasant, and not quick. Hubby is going to have to look at the problem straight in the eye and make a committment to stooping the addiction. It has to be an ongoing conviction and, while you can help him, he will have to do the work. He will have to accept that it will be hard, but not impossible.

I wish him well. Hope to see another post that says he is trying. We will be here to support you both.

reach

Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
    percman!
    (male)

percman! HB User

ok well im sorry but. im coming of of opiates.andi didn't know that could be so serious..

Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

migraine meds at least the one I use to take has a lot of caffine in it. Since I stopped I do drink about three pots of coffee a day. I use to drink only one pot and had been for may years.My last cup of coffee is about 10 pm and I have never had any problems sleeping. That is just me though. I also drink Diet pepsi. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

Sorry I was posting when you posted about the opaites. I am a slow typer

Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
    amithyst
    (female)

amithyst HB User

Scary to think that most things we put into our bodies are addictive. Wish to God that I could just start over w. a new mind & body.
    NO addiction is fun, and I am sorry that your spouse is going thru such a horrible time. But, be THANKFUL that it is NOT anything worse, and that is not saying that this isnt bad enough either.

Can this person see a doctor? Just dont get put on opiates!

All my prayers,
    Amy

Old 01-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
    donewithvics
    (female)

donewithvics HB User

I guess the migranes are the medical condition that should be treated here. I understand not having medical insurance, but they should be able to give him meds for the migranes (nothing narcotic please!!), and I would guess it would be worth the $100 to see a dr over...it's hard to believe he cannot work because of his addition to caffine...that just seems extreme to me. Get to a dr and let them diagnosis him.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #12
    Ariaden
    (female)

Ariaden HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by augirl View Post
    it's hard to believe he cannot work because of his addition to caffine...that just seems extreme to me. Get to a dr and let them diagnosis him.
    would i lie about something like that....? and better yet would i lie about something like that ONLINE?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Ariaden

Just stopped by to see if anything has been tried yet? You know, I am wondering if someone at a reputable health food store could help with some suggestions. I wasn't really thinking about one of the big franchises, buit one where an individual owner who is knowledgable might be able to help.

To come off the oxycodone, I have chosen a taper. No, it isn't easy, but my body adjusts little by little. Each step down can cause a couple of crummy days, but then I start to feel better as the body adjusts. Perhaps this method could work for hubby. The caffeine and sugar amounts hubby is taking in must cause havoc with ups and downs and cravings for it.

I hate to see anyine suffer. However, until this problem is tackled, his situation will not change. Hope you guys find something workable soon.

Keep us posted

reach

Closed Thread