It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board

• Pain medication...can it make you as high as a kite?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User
    Re: Pain medication...can it make you as high as a kite?

Madhatter,
    I agree with you. I sympathize with these people that are dealing with their loved ones but to say a dr. just hands out pain meds is an ignorant statement. I am a chronic pain sufferer as well and I cannot even find a primary care physician due to my medical needs. I have been on and off of pain medication for about 10 years and when the pain stops. I stop. It was not easy to do to say the least. It is a horrible feeling to have legitimate pain and to be treated like a junkie. I know that sounds harsh but we are paying the price. Chronic Pain is horrific and just trying to control it enough to maintain a bit of normalcy is hard. People like this are making it impossible for people like us to receive proper medical treatment. Maybe we should be allowed to posts these docs. names that keep handing out the meds so that legit people aren't going through hell...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Maybe primary care docs shoudnt be giving out pain meds on a monthly basis...maybe thats a pain management doctors job.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #18
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Actually Pain Management docs do not give out pain meds. They go through the Primary Care Doc. who is in charge of writing them. So thanks for the opinion but that is not how it works...
    Also drugs are everywhere- legal or illegal- you cannot blame everything on the availability of it.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #19
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
    Maybe primary care docs shoudnt be giving out pain meds on a monthly basis...maybe thats a pain management doctors job.
    This is the point as well. Legit pain sufferers are getting lumped into the wrong catagory and are paying the price for people who are faking it. If you stop taking the pills when the pain stops then your brain tells you that you need the meds. for pain only and not pleasure. I do not know where the bitterness comes from on your end re: legit pain patients. I have family and friends who abuse as well so I know where your coming from but unfortuatly there is little understanding for the people who actually need this medicine and yes there are people that are taking it responsibly and for the right reasons...

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #20
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Let me get something straight.. i have no bitterness for doctors that give out pain meds for legit. reasons. That is not my issue and not what i meant. BUT, plenty of docs give out pain meds to addicts and they know it.. and i know this first hand, i have been in the medical field for years and have seen addicts come and go with new scripts. faking anything they can for pain pills...i have nothing against legit pain victims. A good doc will send his pt. for every test under the sun to see what is causing his/her pain and try to solve it either by surgery, shots p.t anything other than the start of pain meds. If youa re in legit pain than i feel for you because nobody has to live in pain...But you need to know that their are addicts out there and know which docs give out pain pills for not legit reasons...it takes a smart doc to see the difference...thats all i meant.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #21
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

I understand that and a few in our town were shut down because the addicts would go there and get their meds. Those are currupt docs. and people and I understand that. I worked in a jail filled with addicts and have a sis and brother in law not to mention a few cousins that are addicts. But I have also seen people in the medical field call legitimate people addicts and junkies as well. I was called a junkie on more than 5 occasions and I am very resentful ( not with you everyone has an opinion ) but what I am saying you may think someone is a junkie and is in severe pain and vice versa is my point. It is hard to say. Another one of my sisters did the same thing she faked and faked to get drugs until finally they caught on. My point is I hate that we are paying the price. Not everything is black and white. Noone thinks I am a faker now but I was put through 10 years of hell to prove it and for what? The last thing I need to worry about is not having enough medicine to control my pain...Nikki
    Also the hard part is there are no tests for Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy- so just because a doc. cannot prove it does not mean it is not there. If I sound rude that is certainly not my intention I am just pointing out another side as you are as well...

Last edited by jaxobean; 05-01-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #22
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Well im sorry that you are in pain..i feel for you! I hope you stay well. have a great day

Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
    cape1963
    (female)

cape1963 HB User

oh boy, this is a tough one...he deserves to be treated for his pain. No one can make an addict stop using. Only the addict himself/herself can stop it. You need to distance yourself from the situation. I would not, at any time, any day, call his doctor. This is an absolute no-no. Once that stigma is on a person, it sticks with them for the rest of their life, or so I've been told. Let's say your son overcomes his addiction and is clean for years. And let's say he suffers from pain again, and this time it is chronic. Because that one time you decided to call his doctor and report him an addict, now your son cannot get any type of pain medication...and he suffers forever in severe pain. He will hate you for this. Besides, I don't think the doctor will talk to you anyway. It's hard enough for a patient to be able to talk to their doctor over the phone or in writing. let alone that patients relative. I'm sure it's hard on you, but you need to stay out of it. This is your sons life now. You have raised him, you are done with your part. If he decides to use drugs the rest of this life, then so be it. It's not your fault. You need to stay in contact with him. If he is calling once/twice a day, that is very good. Keep the communication open. Accept him for what he is. Love him, pray for him. Tell him you are there if he ever needs to talk....but please never try to control his medication. He is a big boy now....he knows how much he is allowed to take....he knows if he takes too much he will run out early....I've been on the patches and they were a Godsend. The patches are controlled medication. You cannot take too much/too little medication. The patch controls the medication. Usually, addicts are given the patch for pain relief...that way they cannot abuse pills. Give him lots of love and be on his side. And stay away from his doctor. You need to be telling him about these concerns you have. Hopefully he never reads this board. He might get really upset that you have told the internet world that your son is a drug addict. I would be upset if I were him. I'm not saying this to be mean either. I'm just being real.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #24
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

I know that no one can change an addict . they have to do it themselves..i believe that with all my heart and soul. But i have read crams post for months and shes been thru alot with her son. My son is 21 and has abused those patches in the past..I know that she cannot control his actions. im talking to her as 1 mom to another. our sons are addicts. addiction is a disease .yes they need to help themselves but that doesnt mean that she cant help him along. addicts get addicted..bottom line. and chances are he will have a problem with addiction all his life, even if he is clean. addicts need to tell their doctors about their addictions all the time. Forever!! im sure peopLE are goin to disagree with me and thats ok. All i want is crams son to be ok.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #25
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Also those patches are controlled but addicts have a way of getting around that..such as eating the gel. Sad isnt it?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #26
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Doctors are getting more affraid to write prescriptions for pain by the minute.And I try to put myself in there shoes[doc] they go to school for years during the prime of there life,next thing you know,the D.E.A is knocking on there door,not only to take there license away,but too put them in jail as well.Yes,there are crooked doctors out there,but by far,there are lagit,and honest doc. out there,far more than the crooks.One doctor,was stated as saying-I might as well rip my state prescription pad up,because its just to big of a hassle.
    Prescription narcotic pain med, are always in the press when someone over-doses,gets arrested,etc. but do you ever read,or hear on the news about how many people it helps?
    100,000 people died last year from over dosing on prescription drugs.
    10,000,000 people lives were changed last year,FOR THE BETTER,to have a better quality of life on a daily basis.To be able to maybe push there kid on a swing,,to go see there daughter at her first dance recidal,there sons first little league baseball game,just to get up in the morning,and not wish they were dead! Thanks for reading. Mad.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #27
    tonic33
    (male)

tonic33 HB User

You are correct your pupils become like pinpoints. I'm a former opiate addict of many years, so I know all the signs.

If your son has serious legitimate pain he will probably need the narcotics. Let me tell you something though that i had to experience myself. No addict can quit unless they themselves admit they are addicted and truly in their heart want to quit opiates. I tried many times but it was never in my heart to really quit and stay clean. This only occured to me when I reached a point were I was taking massive massive amounts of top tier opiates daily and that was just to feel normal. When I reached that point, thats when I said its not worth the money or the lifestyle anymore, and I detoxed with subutex.
    Those patches of fently, I used to cut open, take out the gel, and chew on them. Where I live its sold on the street with herion mixed together and you wither blow it or bang it. I think like over 20 people died from banging it. I used to blow the stuff. I dont think there is anything stronger. Dilaudid nor oxy compare to this "magic"

Old 05-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #28
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

Tonic, those patches are so deadly. if one takes too much it can basically just stop your heart from beating.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #29
    jkm1201
    (female)

jkm1201 HB User

wow, this is scary stuff... I have a 13 year old daughter and I'm afraid for her. Reading posts like this feed me the necessary info. to help keep her safe. or try to... anyway. Thanks jkm

Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #30
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

jkm, just to make you feel a lil better..those patches are extremely hard to buy on the street..not like pot, pills,coke and all that other stuff. most of the time someone is stealing them from a hospital or med.facility and selling them..scary...huh?

Closed Thread