It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Housing for mentally ill brother

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
    robinTN
    (female)

robinTN HB User
    Housing for mentally ill brother

Hi folks. My brother is 34 and was diagnosed with bipolar Schizoaffective disorder years ago, but refuses to take his medication. He had been living with my elderly mother in a rental home up until about 2 years ago, but he started taking the house apart (literally) and made it unsafe for her to live in. At that point we were able to get him arrested for a short period of time on destruction of property charges - this allowed my other siblings and I to repair the damage he had done to the rental and move my mother into my house.

Once he got out of jail, my mother spent all of her money putting him in week-to-week hotels, where he did the same type of damage. As he was bleeding my mother dry financially, my siblings and I once again stepped in and cut off his access to her - changed her phone number, and made it impossible for him to contact her without going through us. We gave him two options - either go stay at a mission or we'll put you on a bus to Tampa where he said he had a friend he could stay with. He opted for the friend's location so we got him bus ticket, gave him some money, and sent him on his way. That was last April. He then managed to hitch hike his way back to where we all live and landed on my doorstep in early November. The problem is it's unsafe to have him around - I can't let him near my mother (he's physically abused her before, not to mention taking all her money), and my other siblings have children so that's just not an option. He refuses to take his medication, so he's completely delusional and unstable. This state has a really high rate of rejecting disability applicants so he hasn't been able to get on disability even though he absolutely needs to be on it - he is completely incapable of holding a job and supporting himself.

Obviously, we don't want him to be homeless, especially with the Winter upon us and freezing temperatures coming. I have a friend who has a mobile home for sale on some land and we are thinking of buying it for him. The problem is we don't want him to have the title in his name - he can't be trusted not to sell it or more likely, to take out loans against it's value. We don't want to put it in my mother's name because of the liability issues. We're sure he'll do damage to the property, but since he'll be the only one living there, he'll just have to live in the situation he creates, but at least hopefully he'll have a roof over his head.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-11-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread