It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill Message Board

• Afraid of 26yo Son with Schizophrenia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
    eaglelanding62

eaglelanding62 HB User
    Afraid of 26yo Son with Schizophrenia

Our son was disgnosed with shizophrenia during his freshman year of college when he was 19. He did ok when he was on medication, and was able to return to college later. However, he quit taking his meds after about 3 years and was unable to finish school, etc. He has worked a few jobs, but gets angry and quits. For the last several months he has begun threatening his dad and I through rants via text message, phone calls, and once in person. He does not live with us. He constantly asks us for money, and we have helped him numerous times. He now lives in a camper about 3 hours away from where we live, and does not have a job.

We spoke to his former psychiatrist, and he just said to call the police if you feel threatened. Well, I know how that usually ends up. Anyway, I feel like now I don't want to have any contact with him and want to block his number from my phone as he has created so much fear and anxiety for me that I have had to go on medication!

Has anyone had this experience and what did you do? I told my husband if we could, we would move to another state but that is not an option as we have elderly parents nearby who we are caring for. We have 2 other adult children, and he has also ranted at them but not as frequently. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
    sonja342
    (female)

sonja342 HB User
    Re: Afraid of 26yo Son with Schizophrenia

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. This may be a little harsh, but it sounds like he needs to be involuntarily committed to a mental ward. From what I understand is they will send a warrant called a Mental Health Warrant, and the police will go get him. Then there will be a hearing to decide if he will stay in inpatient care or outpatient care. You would be allowed to testify, medical experts, as well as your son. This is more of a last resort option. This is basically forcing him to get help, he will be able to get out at a certain time if I'm not mistaken. They won't keep him forever.

If he is truly a danger to ya'll or the public, I would seek out this option. Especially since he has made threats and refuses to take medication.

Again, I'm very sorry for what you are going through.

Closed Thread

Tags
    schizophrenia